The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 19, 2001, 04:44 AM   #1
PzGren

Knife throwing-Who can do it?

I have never met anybody else who is into knife throwing and just wonder how many people there are out there that can actually do it.
Let us say at one or two revolutions, 8 to about 12 feet, with at least 90% hits.
Old August 19, 2001, 05:04 AM   #2
urban assault

A guy I work with can throw REAL well until his shoulder starts acting up. This man was a staff Sgt. in the Air Force, Speaks russian with a perfect accent(we have drivers pick up our shipments, most are new to this country, from russia and speak very little english, they always ask where he was born in russia) and he is a better than crack shot. Very mild and unassuming gentleman in his 50's. I was playing around at throwing a knife at some boxes on my lunch hour and talked him into "trying" it. He flubbed the first one and then hit inside a 4" circle 15 or 16 times... in a row. Very quickly. At about 15 feet or so. Needless to say I was a bit stunned. When we go shooting, we toss a golf ball aways away from us and then take turns hitting the ball with 22. rifles, no scopes. He can hit amazing shots and is very deliberate when shooting. He wont talk about what he did in the servivce too much, but he did say that he was stationed in Turkey and intercepted secure russian communications. He also worked for the NSA for awhile and had a pretty high clearance. He is a great guy to work with.

michael
"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife... And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next!" - Gladiator

"You can get further with a kind word and a gun than you can with just a kind word." - Al Capone
Old August 19, 2001, 09:32 AM   #3
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Knife throwing as a sport is fun. I know some folks who are quite good at it- Spartacus is one.

Knife throwing as defense is insane- a last ditch attempt to not die.
Old August 19, 2001, 10:31 AM   #4
Edward429451

We got a bunch of Gil Hibben throwers, different sizes. I cant throw worth a darn, but my kids can. Maybe not 90%, but maybe 70% now. Its very fun. The bigger ones, (10"), are alot easier to stick than the small ones.
Old August 19, 2001, 03:54 PM   #5
PzGren

With an eight inch heavy knife I can throw 100% at 4 to 5 feet, just over arms length even from movement. The impact of a heavy throwing knife should not be underrated. There are surely guys out there that can do it better than me.
I learned it out of boredom during a curfew in the third world and practice this for five years now regularly.

How long does it take to perfect the mawashi geri?!
Old August 19, 2001, 06:27 PM   #6
eyeball

I always thought that knife throwing was a whole bunch of romanticized mystical b.s.
Old August 19, 2001, 09:12 PM   #7
PaladinX13

Throwing is almost as fun as shooting, IMO... the satisfying THUNK of a hatchet burying itself into a log round is a great experience. Personally, I throw mostly in my basement using ~9in Skyhawk and Rigid throwers from about 25ft. Though I've got everything from large customs (my prize being a Moeller Frontiersman- never thrown), hatchets, stars, spikes, cards, darts, eBay junk, and so on. My recommendations:

1. If you're casual about it, buy some cheap but large (>8") production knives to practice with (you'll quickly get addicted AND more skilled)... such as Dragons, Skyhawks, Rigids, Blazing Arrows, etc.

2. If you're really casual about it (ie, not willing to learn how to throw) get some stars.

3. If you're serious, do some research and buy a set of customs (only cost slightly more, but the performance and durability are often much better).

4. Lay off the light and small eBay-type crap (I bought the stuff out of addiction) because they're more difficult to throw (not impossible, though) and actually more dangerous because fast ricochets are more common and the small stuff is often unnecessarily razor sharp.

5. Finally, be sure to visit the follow sites so you know what you're doing and don't get frustrated... HAVE FUN!

THROWER Page
http://www.sonic.net/~quine/thrower.html
The BEST website on all things thrown

Thrower Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thrower
Main gathering of some of the best throwers in the US, as well as several custom bladesmiths
Old August 19, 2001, 09:58 PM   #8
Jody Hudson

The keys are of course practice, practice, practice. Larger, longer knives are easier to throw and the period of revolution is greater, thus the distance is longer. As a person learns to adjust the rpms of the throw he can change the distance with the same number of revolutions. With practice you can learn to throw past one revolution to two and three at least. Throwing by the handle is good because IF you decide to start thowing sharper knives you will have the handle throw skill. Throwing from both the blade or the handle will give versatility of revolutions which can be handy.

Learning to throw first larger and then smaller knives and then all those different sizes in between can develope a wonderful versatility. Plus, it's fun to throw tomahawks, axes, shovels, hatchets, and even just a piece of pointed heavy wood. Eventually, you can pick up almost anything of almost any length or weight, from at least 5 inches or so up to at least 4 feet long or so, and throw it to stick like a 'hawk, or knife. A couple of years ago at a Mountain Man re-enactment, we had so many knife and hawk throwers that we ended up with a face off with the top several throwers throwing at 4 and then 5 revolutions which turned out to be about 50 feet or so. We even had some fun with short shovels and hammers. One fellow ended up winning with a bush axe throw of three revolutions at about 70 feet. We all quit on that one. The bush axe blade was bent badly, and we broke a few handles on 'hawks and such. But the fun was great. Accuracy at three revolutions of knives, in order to win was to stick the knife in a playing card. The 'hawk contest was won at two revolutions with the same targets. After 2 revolutions some of the 'hawks and axes started to lose stability and not hit true on the blade. A couple of fellows were throwing double bit, full size, Hudson Bay axes with the four foot handle. Only one was able to stick his on the third revolution but two others could on the second with the big HBs.

I think most if not all of the Mountain Man rendevous re-enactments have weapon throwing of all sorts.
Old August 19, 2001, 11:41 PM   #9
Seeker

Yep.

Gerber 3.5 inch LST, Ka-Bar and most anything in between - lately mostly pointy sticks. I get best results with 1 and a half revs and have never had a problem with sharp knives slicing my hand, too much. Large knives really sink home. The little ones you see in a set on three for < 10 bucks work OK too, but as mentioned earlier can really bounce back at you - Same rule as darts applies, if it dosn't stick and you catch it before it hits the ground you can throw it again.

The way I was taught: extend throwing hand, flat, fingers together, so that index finger is highest. Lay the blade diagnally across palm so that hte handle extends at about 45 degrees between index finger and thumb, trapping the blade lightly with thumb. Bend elbow back towards shoulder, them rapidly extend arm so that your index finger points at your target and let the knife slide out. Keep your wrist straight! Snapping your wrist will cause over rotation.

When learning to throw my LST I discovered that about 8 inches of leather boot lace through the hole in the butt of the handle, so that both ends hang loose helps prevent over rotation.

I started putting the leather through the hole in the butt end of the handle back before "clip -ons" became an option so that I could carry the knife in the back pocket of my levi's ( or into the top of lace up boots) with just the ends of the leather hanging out - the knife was concealed but I didn't have to dig for it when I needed it.

I played with blades long before I ever fired a gun, and have been carrying one, constantly, since third grade (often in violation of school rules). Uh oh! I just did the math, I have been carrying a knife daily for the last 27 years! Now I feel old.....

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old August 20, 2001, 09:11 AM   #10
Correia

I learned to do it for fun. My target was an old closet door, and the range was various distances across my apartment. However I haven't done it for a few years.

For serious use? I doubt I could ever hit anything effectively. But for fun, it beat the heck out of darts!
Old August 20, 2001, 11:31 AM   #11
LawDog
Staff Emeritus

Just as a bit of trivia, Skeeter Vaughn found it necessary to silently remove a German sentry during World War II. 90 feet away, downhill and in the dark, Mr. Vaughn nailed the sentry with a thrown knife.

You never know when various skills might become necessary.

LawDog

Bona na Croin

The LawDog Files
Old August 20, 2001, 02:27 PM   #12
JonnyB

I've never had success at it, but a cousin of mine, Roger (not that you'd know him), could throw and stick almost anything with a point. From a 16-penny nail to an axe, it seemed. I've seen both, and many things between. This was years ago (~20, or 25). He was also deadly with a sling; throwing egg-sized rocks many yards to put them through a window opening in an old building on their farm.

Roger has also been fascinated by fire, and when we'd have a keg party, he rarely drank, but would spend the night tending the fire.

Strange fellow, but I wouldn't mind having him at my back in a fight. Last known sidearm was a Sig, in .45ACP.

JB
Old August 20, 2001, 09:39 PM   #13
Mort

You know what works really well? Cheapie Italian stilettos. Quite pointy. Sticks deeper in wood with a throw than with a stab.

Throwing knives is kind of a last-ditch affair (or a closing-the-distance-with-a-second-knife-in-hand affair), but throwing 'hawks or khukuris is serious business.
Old August 20, 2001, 10:27 PM   #14
Jorah Lavin

Jonny B, I think I've met your cousin, or a spiritual

brother of his... I knew a guy years ago who seemed to be able to handle embers barehanded while tending the bonfire at a certain large gathering I attended.

When I did carpentry in the 80s I got fairly good at throwing an Estwing framing hammer... 28oz straight claw will do a number on a two-by.

I'm on a slinging list but haven't made a sling yet... probably will when it cools down a little.

I once had a job tending an automated press during the graveyard shift, not much to do for hours. We got pretty skilled throwing single-side razor blades and used to "play darts" with pushpins, throwing them underhand... you'd never believe it would work until you learn the trick. I used to throw big 20-penny nails to fair effect, but never was good with knives. I think people with better coordination than I could throw almost anything within reason... didn't Cold Steel sell a sort of double-tapered steel rod for throwing? Looked like it would do some damage if you didn't throw your arm out.

-Jorah

I say we take off and nuke the site from orbit... it's the only way to be sure.
Old October 17, 2005, 08:39 PM   #15
SushiChef

anything with a point can be thrown to stick with accuracy, it just takes time and practice. i integrate it as part of my dinner show. after one of my knives get to dirty to cut with any more, i throw it over the counter into a cutting board nailed to the wall by the wash sink. when my wash boy is done washing it he throwes it behind me into an adjacent cutting board. it gets a hell of a response (and tips )
Old October 17, 2005, 10:08 PM   #16
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Reminds me of playing Mumbletypeg as a kid for a nickle a throw with those yellow handled, 4" folding Imperials everybody had then.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 17, 2005, 11:29 PM   #17
Blackwater OPS

Only way I know of to throw a knife is to take a heavy one and throw in underhanded at at target less then 5 ft away, and even then in combat you have less than a 50% chance of hitting right. Maybe its ok as a target game, but in the RW I would never throw my weapon away.
-Ben Franklin

Spc. Jeremy M. Campbell
Died 9/1/2005
and the best DS ever
MSG Matthew Ritz
Died 11.23.2005
matthewritz.com

For those who have had to fight for it, Life holds a special meaning that the protected will never know.

(\__/)
(='.'=) Someone set us up the bunny!
(")_(")
Old October 17, 2005, 11:46 PM   #18
sm

Quote:
Reminds me of playing Mumbletypeg as a kid for a nickle a throw with those yellow handled, 4" folding Imperials everybody had then.
I sucked at that...I really think these knives should have been called "Mumbley-Peg Specials" Maybe I sucked cause the knife blades broke, or too loose for any good.

Any inspiration of getting good at this skill, and I agree it is something to take note of as LawDog pointed out...

Mom kinda "crushed" any real desire to continue my learning. Probably had a lot to do with her good knives sticking into the tree out in the back yard. She yelled for me, I took off...she found her good knives. At some time a kid does return home, that is when the butt getting crushed with a belt occurs.

Hey...at least I was not digging in the yard with the good spoons anymore...
Old October 18, 2005, 01:52 AM   #19
blackmind

I'm much more impressed by someone who can truly sharpen a knife with skill and expertise than throw one.

I have some of those cheapy throwers from a gun show, and also one or two Gil Hibben throwers, but I've never achieved a great proficiency with them.

I also have a few Cold Steel Torpedoes, but amazingly I have never gotten the opportunity to take them out and throw them! I really have to, because I think they'll be hella satisfying to throw!

-blackmind
Old October 18, 2005, 08:53 AM   #20
Eghad

throwing knives are for throwing.......

dont throw your fighting/protection knife.

NRA Life Member
Old October 18, 2005, 09:02 AM   #21
clt46910

Been throwing since I was a teenager many years ago. Started out with an old dart board in my room after reading too many adventure books. It use to hang on a door that lead to a storage area we almost never used. Still remember when my father came upstairs to look for something in the storage area. Spent a long time filling in the knife holes with wood putty and sanding them out so I could repaint the door after many misses...LOL

Still throw, just not as serious as I use to when I was in my teens and early twenties. Mostly for fun and something to so while thinking about something. Real relaxing.

Anyone remember the switch blades that use to be issued to jumpers? How many broke them within a couple months practicing throwing while clicking them open? They sure did not hold up very good...LOL
Old October 18, 2005, 09:33 AM   #22
claude783

Had a throwing knife (case XX), but couldn't get it to stick in anything.

Did one time take come conduit and cut it so that it had "sharp" ends. Then tried throwing at rabbits...kind of a practice survival senario...still wasn't to effective. I had figured the weight would break something if I were able to hit the little critters, never got it to stick in one, heck never was able to hit one!

Seemed to work fine for cardboard boxes...Oh, well, back to the drawing board!
Old October 18, 2005, 11:55 AM   #23
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I'm much more impressed by someone who can truly sharpen a knife with skill and expertise than throw one.
Yeah, doing it without aids was a true art. But try a Lansky sharpening system. Does a super job, especially with diamond hones.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old October 18, 2005, 12:56 PM   #24
blackmind

I'm all about doing it as you said, without aids. I use a Spyderco Ceramic Bench Stone, after doing the coarse grinding with a DMT diamond stone.

It's been years in the development but I do actually have technique and I can get my knives really very sharp. Sharp enough to be proud of, anyway.

-blackmind
Old October 18, 2005, 01:35 PM   #25
Brian Williams

More often than not throwing your knife gives your knife to your opponent
Closed Thread