The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 15, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1
howabouttheiris

Pinning a Glock Mag

Anyone got a good step by step process (with measurements) for drilling and adding a rivet to my 17 round magazines to limit them to 7 or 10 or whatever is/may be coming?

Under prior bans (or in NY/Cali, etc), is this mod legal as long as you cannot jam too many rounds into the magazine?
Old January 15, 2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

Don't worry about that now. Why are people already laying down? -__-
Old January 15, 2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Dan-O

I don't particularly like CNN, but I have gotten on their website everyday since the Newtown incident. The anti-gun agenda on their website has steadily been diminishing. I think this is a good indicator of the fact the NRA is winning, and the gun grabbers are losing.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:48 PM   #4
jglsprings

I'm not sure I've ever heard of any requirement to modify existing magazines to meet new standards. Not to say that they won't try something crazy like that.

Can you cite a link or source for this?

If you think you need to get rid of the high cap mag you most certainly could sell them for a profit and buy the new ones. No?

Commas save lives...
Old January 15, 2013, 12:54 PM   #5
Xfire68

The question I have is............Are there any 7 round mags out there to buy to replace these hi-cap mags?????

I have not seen a 7 round glock mag for a full size gun before? 10 yes 7 no?

Did they reduce the limit to ban most of the semi autos out there?
Old January 15, 2013, 12:56 PM   #6
howabouttheiris

"Why are people already laying down?"

That is for you, the citizens, to fight. As a legal resident alien (and a gun owner) immediate early adoption is the correct option for my family and I.

Last edited by howabouttheiris; January 15, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 02:43 PM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
That is for you, the citizens, to fight. As a legal resident alien (and a gun owner) immediate early adoption is the correct option for my family and I.
IANAL, but legal resident aliens generally have the same rights as citizens as it relates to gun ownership and possession. There is no logical reason for "immediate early adoption" of a proposed restriction that may not even pass!
Quote:
Are there any 7 round mags out there to buy to replace these hi-cap mags?????... I have not seen a 7 round glock mag for a full size gun before? 10 yes 7 no?
  • I prefer not to refer to a properly-designed flush-fitting mag as "hi-cap". If it's the mag that the pistol was designed to use, it is a standard-capacity magazine. If it holds fewer rounds than the pistol's full design capacity, it is a restricted-capacity magazine.
  • The 7rd limit is a NY thing, and it refers to the number of rounds loaded in the magazine, NOT to the capacity of the magazine. IOW the NY law doesn't ban possession of 10rd mags; it just bans the physical placement of more than 7 rounds within a >7rd mag. Yes, really. It is in fact just as stupid as it sounds. However, the law does not effectively ban any of the numerous pistols for which a 10rd magazine is available, thereby giving the NY Attorney General legal wiggle room to argue that the law does not constitute a de facto ban.
  • AFAIK there is no credible reason to believe that this law will be adopted anywhere outside NY State. NY residents are permitted to panic, but this is premature for folks living elsewhere!

Last edited by carguychris; January 15, 2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: minor reword...
Old January 15, 2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Fishbed77

What is all the talk about 7-round magazine capacities? Did I miss something?
Old January 15, 2013, 02:51 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
What is all the talk about 7-round magazine capacities? Did I miss something?
You probably did. It's a NY state law that was just passed by with lightning speed effective today (1/15/13). by the NY Senate and is being debated by the Assembly.

In short, the placement of more than 7 rounds in any "ammunition feeding device" is may become illegal in NY, and owners of >10rd "pre-ban" (pre-1994) mags will have one year from today the effective date to dispose of them or sell them out of state. 8-10rd mags may be legally possessed but they must be registered with local law enforcement. There are a couple of narrow exceptions for attached tubular rimfire mags and "Curio & Relic" feeding devices that are over 50yrs old.

This is being discussed at length in L&CR.

Let me emphasize: AFAIK there is no credible reason to believe that any of these regulations will be adopted outside NY State!

Last edited by carguychris; January 15, 2013 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Retraction! Not passed yet! D'oh!
Old January 15, 2013, 03:13 PM   #10
Fishing_Cabin

Quote:
You probably did. It's a NY state law that was just passed with lightning speed, effective today (1/15/13).
I know it has passed the NY Senate, but AFAIK, its still being debated in the NY Assembly as I type this (watching the streaming video now)... Did I miss something and the law bypassed the NY Assembly but is effective already?
Old January 15, 2013, 03:19 PM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
I know it has passed the NY Senate, but AFAIK, its still being debated in the NY Assembly as I type this (watching the streaming video now)...
WHOOPS, seems I misinterpreted the source!

I'm retracting that part. Reread my edited post folks.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:25 PM   #12
Fishing_Cabin

no prob Chris...Just was wondering if I had missed something.
Old January 15, 2013, 03:36 PM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

We have two or three 7 round mag threads going in L and CR and General.

Don't need another and esp. right now how to comply to this atrocity.

Closed.