The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 7, 2012, 12:14 AM   #1
MagnumWill

What's stopping me? (38 super automatic)

I've been pondering this for a little while. I would love to have my current carry gun (a Colt New Agent .45) be chambered for .38 Super Auto, which they don't offer, especially with the bull barrel. Would it be possible if...

A New Agent 9MM was purchased...

The chamber cut to hold the .38 Super Auto (effectively making the inner barrel length an 1/8" shorter or so, as well as having the chamber cut to headspace off of the case mouth, NOT the rim like the old series),

The extractor changed out for the semi-rim,

.38 Super magazines...

What else? Is there something that I'm missing that would completely cold-clock this project?

I would love it in .38 super, just for nostalgia value, and the +P rounds would make it a nice 9MM Magnum, of sorts. What do you all think?
Old May 7, 2012, 07:29 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

The 9mm +P rounds outperform standard 38 Super. Seems like a lot of work for a marginal improvement in velocity with a 38 Super +P. Now if you would consider the 357 SIG I could see the point.
Old May 7, 2012, 08:43 AM   #3
mavracer

Quote:
The 9mm +P rounds outperform standard 38 Super. Seems like a lot of work for a marginal improvement in velocity with a 38 Super +P. Now if you would consider the 357 SIG I could see the point.
Technically all 38 super is +P. You'd loose a round going to the 357 sig and not gain near the velocity over the super as he would going from 9mm to 38 super.
As to the op. cutting the chamber and changing mags is all that's needed the extractor will work fine as the rims are nearly the same size. you may want to have it cut for 9X23 though.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old May 7, 2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Jim Watson

The .38 Super is a straight case, 9mm P is tapered, so a Super reamer will not clean up a 9mm chamber. Does it matter that the rear half of a Super case would have an extra .004-.007" to expand in a lengthened 9mm chamber? Maybe not.

Do you have a source for the right length .38 magazines?
Old May 9, 2012, 01:46 PM   #5
MagnumWill

That's a bummer about the tapered case, it may only be a few thousandths, but I would be worried at extraction issues at that point.

I haven't done any looking around for officer-length .38 mags, I was figuring I could cut some down to length if needed, since it might be unique.

Plus, I was under the impression that .38 Super = 9MM +P+. I know it's Wikipedia, but it looks like base Super loads get about 100 J more energy than 9MM +P, and .38 Super +P is comparable to .357 sig (which is about right, I have shot both). I just think .38 super auto is an awesome load.
Old May 9, 2012, 02:22 PM   #6
Crapulence

If you are really set on the rounds energy you should look into making it a 9X25 Dillon.
Old May 9, 2012, 11:54 PM   #7
MagnumWill

I'm assuming that's a wildcat - what brass do you need to make it?
Old May 10, 2012, 06:34 AM   #8
CowTowner

I had to jump in and point out that Fusion will build an "Officer's Model" for you in .38 Super Auto if you really want to go with this setup.
http://www.fusionfirearms.com/
Their model number is: No: BA CCO-A
Nope, I don't work for them. I just own one of their guns and love it.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old July 28, 2012, 05:17 PM   #9
platform

Quote:
I'm assuming that's a wildcat - what brass do you need to make it?
Since nobody answered this question... (and I have learned enough to contribute)

9x25 dillon needs 10mm brass.
You can also get factory loads from doubletap and underwoodammo ($27 per 50).

Doubletap has this
Quote:
One of the fastest and hardest hitting loads to ever to be developed for an auto-pistol!

Caliber : 9x25 Dillon

Bullet : 95gr. Controlled Expansion JHP

Ballistics : 1995fps / 881 ft. lbs. 6" Lone Wolf bbl
You cannot buy yet, however, a factory pistol in 9x25.
You can however buy conversion barrel for glock 20/20SF
or you can order barrel from barsto for 1911/2011 (send them email), and then fit it into your very solidly built 1911/2011 (that has 40/10mm slide)
Old July 30, 2012, 02:42 PM   #10
RickB

Detonics used to chamber the Combat Master in .38 Super. You might be able to find a nice one for less than it would cost to convert a Colt.
How nostalgic are you about 9x23 Winchester? I wouldn't want to try to run full-power 9x23 in a 3" gun, but a conversion from 9mm Luger to 9x23 would be easier, in terms of getting the rounds to feed from a mag, fit properly in the chamber, etc., than would 9mm to .38 Super.