The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 28, 2014, 06:09 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Anyone here own / shoot a "Zoli" 1863 Remington "Zouave" .58 cal. rifled musket?

After another member posted on here about their "Zouave", I pulled mine out that I have had since the very early 1960s. It has special meaning to me as it was my "first" ML rifle and my Dad helped me acquire it - great sentimental value. I shot this for a number of years when I was shooting NSSA and the barrel has 1,000s of rounds through it over the past 50 years and the bore is "well worn" - it was a little oversize to begin with. The last couple of years I was shooting, I had problems with key hole hits.

I want to get it back in shooting condition as it is a very well made rifle with a stock that equals the originals as well as fit. I will be shooting the standard HB Minie Ball as well as HB SWC (I just picked up an old Ideal mold for the SWC to go with the Ideal Minie I've had since 1962.)

So . . . I have several options.

I can get the present barrel "lined" by Whitacre but that will run $250. On top of that, the rear and front sights need to be replaced so by the time I get the work done, I could probably buy a new Zouave. A new barrel from Whitacre would run $350 + front/rear sight + installation.

I have not contacted Bob Hoyt yet but I would imagine his re-line charge would be about what Whitacre's is. (Both Whitacre and Hoyt do excellent work)

So - Dixie Gun Works lists a Zouave barrel with sights and breech plug for $275.00 Taylor lists the same for a little less.

I believe the Dixie and Taylor barrels are "Zoli". I have no experience with the Zoli reproduction Zouaves. What I'd like is to hear from those who possibly own and shoot them as to how the barrel shoots? I'm not looking for a "tack driving" barrel but want it to be accurate enough (good bore) to hit clay pigeons, pop cans, etc. at 25 to 50 yards since that is what I used to shoot at.

Can anyone advise as to what their experiences are with the Zoli as far as shooting? What your bore size and minie ball size are? Are you satisfied with how your Zoli shoots in terms of accuracy?

It's my understanding that the Zoli barrels have the traditional 3 groove rifling.

I'd like to get this rifle fixed up again so I can enjoy it - I just can't justify the price of a Whitacre or Hoyt re-line and sight replacement for the amount of shooting I will be doing with it - my competition days are over and it will be limited to novelty and paper targets. If a Zoli barrel is decent, that seems like the best way to go $$ wise for the plinking / target shooting that I want to do.

Any information from Zoli owners would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 28, 2014, 08:05 PM   #2
gunslinger2000

I have a brand new Zouave barrel, in the white, that I got at least 30 years ago and never used. Will have to check to see if I can tell who made it. I'd be willing to part with it. Gunslinger
Old June 29, 2014, 02:28 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

gunslinger - sent you a PM
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63