The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 4, 2002, 05:57 PM   #1
El Rojo

What to do with my old video games? Anyone intersted?

I am in a real dilima here. I spent a good part of my young high school life playing Mig 29 by Spectrum Holobyte. I loved that game. It had very good realism, decent graphics for the time, and it was just plane fun. Here is the bad news. It doesn't really work well on new systems. In fact it is hard to get the conventional memory available to play it anymore. So here I am, cleaning out my video game files and debating whether to throw it out or not. There was so much I enjoyed about that game. The pilot history, the detail, having to line up your bomb run just right. This is a great game. I am half tempted to buy an old system, put windows 3.1 on it and play away again, but it just isn't going to happen. The manual for this thing is over 400 pages long! I also have the Falcon Gold collection with F-16 and F-18 hornet on it. I also found my Steel Panthers collection and I can't seem to get it to work on the newer video cards.

Here is what I would like to do. Rather than throw all of this stuff out, I want to pass it on. I am just having a hard time throwing all of that knowledge into the trash to be lost to this world forever. Anyone who wants to buy it, I will sell it to you for a $1. Then you just pay the shipping. That is 7 games, Mig 29, F-16 Falcon, F-18 Hornet, SU-27 Flanker, Steel Panthers I, Steel Panthers II, and Steel Panthers III. I can't guarentee they are going to work in your system. If you have an old computer they might. Shipping might be around $6-8 because there are a lot of manuals.

Anyone else that has gone through this same heart breaking trial, let me know. What did you do? Should I just store them away and build a new computer? I think it is just part of getting old. The good old days are gone and that innocent time of killing F-15s and bombing columns of tanks after school won't ever be the same. Sigh.

Oh yeah, what kind of gatling gun does an F-16 have? You moderators thought you could lock my post for not being firearms related didn't you? I think not.
Old January 4, 2002, 06:16 PM   #2
Pendragon

I sympathize.

I have been into computers since the 8 bit Commodore days and there are a lot of games I consider "classics".

Most of what I like are classic RPG games like Bards Tale 1-3 and Ultima 1-5 and the Ultima Underworld games also.

While some of the games can still be played on the PC, they actually ran better on the old Commodore 64 and Amiga computers because those PCs had such good sound.

I have a massive collection of computer games from the last 7 years - I just keep them - maybe someday they will be valuable or I can use them again somehow.

One thing that I have enjoyed lately is collection the compilations of old classic arcade games that run on my playstation - nothing like playing Moonpatrol and Spy Hunter and Burger Time in your living room.

Sorry I am not much help. Personally, I fell in love with Gun Ship 2000 on my 40mhz Amiga back in 1993. I have never found a game that game me the same satisfaction - sure there are new simulations, but once you get hooked on a sim and know it inside and out, flying another sim (even of the same aircraft) is just not the same.

btw - have you tried the Mechwarrior games? looser sims but very fun...
Old January 4, 2002, 06:16 PM   #3
Bacchus

That's a mighty generous offer. But I would keep them if I were you. When I moved, I got rid of a lot of older computer games, too. About a year later I was looking for my original Quake CD and realized that I had thrown it out. Keep them around in case you inherit an old machine.
Old January 5, 2002, 11:52 AM   #4
k77/22rp

Most F-16's have M61A1 Vulcan cannon's, its a six-barrel 20mm gatling gun capable of firing 6,000 rounds per minute!

I remember hearing that vulcan gatling guns are also made in 30 and 40mm too.
Old January 5, 2002, 12:51 PM   #5
El Rojo

The Fairchild A-10 Thunderbolt II (really it is a Warthog for those who know) has a General Election GAU 8 Avenger cannon system that shoots 30mm projectiles at about 70 rounds per second. It is what you might call a tank killer. Thanks for the M61 info, I never knew that. snicker snicker
Old January 5, 2002, 03:59 PM   #6
Azrael256

Ok, just a thought... You said that conventional memory issues prevent you from playing? It sounds to me like you're running an NT kernel. You might try Win95 compatibility mode (it's a tab in the properties of the shortcut). If not, I'm fairly certain that you can manually adjust the memory settings in the properties menu of the shortcut.

Just a thought.
Old January 5, 2002, 04:43 PM   #7
dwesson445

Just what I need--an opportunity to spend MORE time sitting on my a$$ in front of a computer...
Old January 6, 2002, 12:44 AM   #8
David Park

You can always install DOS and Win3.1 on a spare partition and boot between it and your modern OS. I've used a multi-boot setup for years, mainly for game playing I admit, but also for fooling around with Linux and BeOS. I recommend getting System Commander if you want to do that: http://www.v-com.com/

For example, I'm still trying to get Operation Flashpoint (Xmas present) to work in Windows 2000. I think my DirectX is FUBAR. I'll try it on my other Win2K installation, and if it still doesn't work I guess I'll have to reboot to Win98 just to play it.

There are also many freeware programs out there that will "slow down" your computer if the games are running too fast to be playable.
Old January 6, 2002, 01:51 PM   #9
Bobshouse

My kid has been selling ours off on ebay and making a fortune! Some of the old games go for 50 bucks or more....I couldn't believe people were bidding that high for this stuff...
Old January 6, 2002, 07:22 PM   #10
El Rojo

I got OFP.

I asked my mother to get me Operation Flashpoint for Christmas and it works fine on my Win2K.

I already checked e-bay and the most those games are selling for is like $1.

Booting to another partition sure sounds cool. I got an e-mail from one of you that I still need to respond to. He says he has a good home for them so I will probably just ship them off to him. Thanks for all of your replies and help. I will let you know what happens.