The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 5, 2017, 10:22 PM   #1
flyboy015

Live round stuck in chamber...Walther PPS

Hey all, I've got quite a predicament here. Shooting my carry gun earlier today and I was doing fine up until the point where I tried to rack one of a coworker's hand load defense rounds into the chamber.

Well, it's firmly stuck there now. As far as I can tell, it's seated properly, but no matter how much force I use, I can't move the slide back.

Common sense tells me I probably don't want to just pull the trigger, and I haven't.

Has anyone else experienced this? It would be great if this is something I could solve myself, we're supposed to go on Vacation this weekend, and I'd like to have a functioning handgun...guess that's what I get for trying to get some range time in
Old October 5, 2017, 11:25 PM   #2
JoeSixpack

Interesting I've had fired cases stuck but not live rounds.

I'd see only 3 ways to solve the problem, '

strip the gun, strip the case out with pliers or a knife.

fire the round, it'll probably be stuck but at least you can drive it out with a rod without worry.

don't fire the round and put a cleaning rod to drive the bullet out.. i'd maybe put the barrel in a vice and wack it gently with a 2x4 to tap it out that way if it goes off it wont take your hand with it although the risk should be low since you're driving the bullet not the primer.

maybe someone else has 4th idea.
Old October 5, 2017, 11:39 PM   #3
flyboy015

Well to make things more difficult, I can't strip the slide off the gun. With the PPS, because it's a striker fire, you have to pull the trigger to allow the slide to come forward and off the frame.

Thinking more and more about just pulling the trigger, so to speak

I'll use my left hand that way I still have ol' rightie.

Not sure if someone should talk me down.
Old October 5, 2017, 11:50 PM   #4
JoeSixpack

good ole striker guns.

Ok here's what you do can you yank the slide back? will the extractor jump the rim?

if so lock it back and try working on it that way.. you can try taking something and digging it out via the rim.. you might end up with some marks on your gun, or put it in a vice with it locked back and try to tap the round out like I said before.

When I've had to drive out spent cases I could do it with palm pressure and a cleaning rod so unless it's REALLY bad Im guessing a few gentle taps with a 2x4 on a cleaning rod will work it out, if the mag is out and the slide is locked back round should have a place to go.
Old October 6, 2017, 12:14 AM   #5
flyboy015

Well, unfortunately, I can't budge the slide more than that 1/2" or so...it's actually probably closer to 1/4" of travel into and out of battery.

So the slide, for all intents and purposes is locked forward and into battery.

I'm down now to either firing the round and hoping I don't have nearly as much trouble extracting the spent casing, if the pistol doesn't extract it for me, or

Trying to secure the slide in a vise and tapping the handgrip area of the frame, towards the top, where the webbing of my hand would normally ride. I was reading on another forum where someone had tried this with success.

Just not crazy about hitting it with anything while it's loaded.
Old October 6, 2017, 12:17 AM   #6
JoeSixpack

I dunno I hesitate to give you further advice under this circumstance cause It sounds like you're getting painted into a corner and I don't want to tell you do do something that might get you hurt.

I think it's best you set it aside for the night and wait till someone else comes along and maybe can shed some new light on the subject.. get a 2nd opinion.
Old October 6, 2017, 12:39 AM   #7
flyboy015

Right, not a bad idea by any means. Thanks for your suggestions!
Old October 6, 2017, 04:08 AM   #8
JT-AR-MG42

If I were dealing with it, I would;
push in to release/gently pry loose the extractor from the rim of the case and lock the slide to the rear.
My bet is that the lack of mechanical leverage is not allowing you to bring the suspect case from the chamber using the extractor alone.

Put just a bit of kroil or other penetrating lube down the barrel with the muzzle up and let it sit overnight.
Chances are the round will just pop out the next day with a cleaning rod section 'bounced' down on it - similar to the way a muzzle loader ramrod will bounce when the ball is completely seated.

My .02, JT
Old October 6, 2017, 04:56 AM   #9
Old Stony

You are just lacking leverage as you can only move the slide a very short distance. If you would put the slide part into a padded vise, you should be able to tap the lower portion of the pistol to loosen up the cartridge. Chances are it's not stuck in there as firmly as it seems, it's just that you can't really apply much pressure on it by just pulling back on the slide. A tapping motion should produce the results you need.
Old October 6, 2017, 06:40 AM   #10
Don P

Quote:
Shooting my carry gun earlier today and I was doing fine up until the point where I tried to rack one of a coworker's hand load defense rounds into the chamber.
Bullet is stuck in the rifling of the barrel. The over all length of the cartridge is too long for YOUR GUN. If you are right handed grab the slide with your left hand (overhand) tightly and slam the frame with your right hand and you will dislodge the round. may even get a empty case come out with the bullet stuck in the barrel. Just curious, why is your co-worker use reloads for defensive purposes?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 6, 2017, 07:26 AM   #11
flyboy015

Got it! Thanks fellas. Put it on the table with some clamps and tapped with a fist, didn't even need a mallet.
Old October 6, 2017, 07:37 AM   #12
flyboy015

Quote:
Just curious, why is your co-worker use reloads for defensive purposes?
I dunno, we are two different shooters. He has the newer PPS and constantly boasts "tiny little" 2 inch groups at 25 yards, taking his time with each shot, and he has the photos to back it up. But I do a little more practical training with mine, drawing from my typical concealment and getting two or three shots off as quickly as possible, and typically at ranges no longer than 15 yards.

Personally, I only run Hornady Critical Defense (factory ammo) in my gun, I gather from many tests and studies that it isn't the largest expanding bullet on average, but the most consistently expanding, if that makes any sense.

Maybe I should try the Winchester Ranger T, according to these guys:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...tic-tests/#9mm
Old October 6, 2017, 07:45 AM   #13
Goatwhiskers

Another reason why I NEVER shoot someone else's reloads. GW
Old October 6, 2017, 08:03 AM   #14
Slamfire

Quote:
Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes, and with my own reloads in several M1911's. The diagnosis of too long of cartridge OAL is correct and that is what got me. Throats vary and the throat depth varies. There is a lot of advice about seating the bullet so that the base of the cartridge is at the barrel hood. I used to do that, now I seat the bullet so the OAL of the cartridge is less than the distance to the hood.

My rounds were so long that occasional round would cause the slide not to go into battery. I could not fire the pistol, I could not beat the slide forward to go into battery, and I had real problems opening the slide. This is a reason I got rid of the guide rods in my M1911's. Without a guide rod you can place the muzzle of the pistol on a table edge, muzzle over the edge, recoil plug on table, and push down. That has always ejected the round.

Anyway that has happened to me both in 45 ACP M1911's and this 9mm M1911. Cartridges too long. Hey it happens, and if I shot factory ammunition, I bet it happens with that.

Old October 6, 2017, 08:44 AM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

Glad it's resolved.

I once placed a Sig into a padded vise and placed a block of wood against the slide. Then I whacked it with a hammer to force the slide back. It had been jammed with a cloth.
Old October 6, 2017, 10:30 AM   #16
flyboy015

The coworker mentioned in my OP said, upon learning of my total jam, "Oh...well if you wanna give them back to me, I can cinch them down a bit more..."

I don't want to be rude to the guy, he's a good dude, but I think I'll just stick to my regular stuff.
Old October 6, 2017, 11:50 AM   #17
Don Fischer

Often a bad idea to shoot someone else's hand loads in your gun.
Old October 8, 2017, 03:34 PM   #18
velocette

The problem with reloaded 9mm rounds getting stuck in the chamber is not usually the round being too long, but rather the round being too fat.
A lot of 9mm brass that has been fired in pistols with loose chambers (read Glocks), will have a bulge near their base. This bulge jams up in a pistol with a tight chamber. (9mm 1911s from Springfield and Sig pistols from my own experience)This bulge is far enough down the case wall that is is not removed when the case is re-sized.
These jammed rounds are quite difficult to remove.
I have taken to testing each reloaded 9mm round with a test chamber or with the barrel of the intended pistol to make sure they all will chamber. Interestingly, almost anything will chamber in a Glock, a Sig is somewhat fussy and my Springfield will only chamber stuff that is darn near SAAMI spec for new.
Old October 8, 2017, 03:49 PM   #19
JoeSixpack

Only cases I ever had get stuck in my gun was reloads.. factory ramans by a company called zero, first and last reloads I'll ever buy.. out of a box of 50 had to drive 4 of them out so you can imagine how much fun that range session was.

Although they didn't get stuck till after I fired them.
Old October 8, 2017, 04:03 PM   #20
fredvon4

Velocette

I have similar experience... now when I reload questionable used brass I drop fit each cartridge into the open barrel before they go in the box to test fire the group

I no longer police range 9mm brass where there are a lot of Glock firers

For a while I was gaging the brass cases I had--- but much too time consuming vs just buying new brass
Old October 8, 2017, 05:13 PM   #21
JoeSixpack

Someone makes a glock buldge buster.. I think it's LEE.. I don't reload so I don't know how well that works but I thought the full length resize should do the trick?

And if not doesn't the LEE factory crimp die also have a carbide resizing ring on it?

Would think resizer + factory crimp would take care of the glock smile on brass.. Or am I wrong?