The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 27, 2017, 11:50 PM   #1
rjinga

Target Practice at 50 yds, 100 yds, and 30 meters

The rifle is a PTR 91, GI model, with the standard front sight and an HK 1200 meter rear sight. I was using the 200 meter setting, which was the lowest one, the entire time. The ammunition is German surplus.

I put the 1st Mr. Bones at 50 yds. I fired 10 rounds, off-hand from a standing position, at the torso. And then, five rounds at the head while seating at the table and using a rest.

I put the 2nd Mr. Bones at 100 yds. I fired 20 rounds, off of the table with a rest, at the torso. My very first shot at the target, and my first shot after coming off of a cold range, were the two shots under the target’s right armpit. Then, I fired five rounds at the head again.

I put this bulls-eye at 100 yds and fired 10 rounds at it. However, I forgot to take a photo of it before I applied the pasters, so it didn’t really happen. Then I moved the target to 30 meters and fired two strings of five rounds each at it off of the table with the rest. I chose 30 meters because the zero is supposed to be the same as it is at 200 meters. The orange center is 3”.

Next I put a scaled Dog target at 30 meters. At 25 yds the target is supposed to simulate a full-size target at 100 yds. I fired all 10 rounds rather quickly, and without checking the placement between shots, off of the table with the rest. I don’t know where in the sequence the two shots inside of the V and outside of the clump fell.

I finished up with a Red Dawn target at 30 meters; table and rest again. The 1st shot was at the lower center of the target. Then I moved the 2nd shot to the target’s left a little. With the 3rd shot I tried to touch the top of the front post to the target’s chin. Then, with the final seven shots, I tried to touch the top of the front post on the edge of the target’s helmet.

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old September 30, 2017, 10:53 AM   #2
flyboy015

Nice shooting, especially with irons! I love those Red Dawn targets, super cool.

Sadly, I haven't pushed my AR out to 100 yards yet, but I intend to. Off the bench, with Hornady factory loads I could get .75" five shot groups at 50 yards...but I haven't really done much paper punching off-hand at 50 yards. What have I been doing?!

I gotta order some more interesting (fun) targets.
Old September 30, 2017, 02:16 PM   #3
rjinga

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy015 View Post
Nice shooting, especially with irons!
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy015 View Post
I love those Red Dawn targets, super cool.
Thanks again. I found a single target online, did a little tweaking, and turned it in several different targets. I scaled them so that they can be printed out on either 8.5 x 11, or 11 x 17, copy paper and still represent a full-size person.

I call this the "foxhole"; 17 x 11:

And then you can add this to the bottom of the "foxhole" for a full-size head to waist target; 17 x 11:

This is the "bunker"; 17 x 11:

The "right" (my right as I'm looking at the target); 11 x 17:

The "max right"; 11 x 17:

Sig Sauer P229 SAS GEN 2 E2 9mm; PTR 91, GI model; Chinese Type 56 SKS; Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
Old September 30, 2017, 02:18 PM   #4
rjinga

Cont.

The "bunker right"; 8.5 x 11:

The "sniper"; 8.5 x 11:

The "observer"; 11 x 8.5:

The "max right observer"; 11 x 8.5: