The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 30, 2017, 04:15 PM   #1
TrueBlue711

Rifled barrel vs. rifled slugs

So I've come across some locations that only allow shotgun (and bow, but I'm no archer) for hunting big game. My primary hunting shotgun is my Browning Maxus. I'm looking at getting a rifled barrel for it, however, Browning stopped production for it. And when they did have it in production, it was about $450 - $500 for the barrel. That's a lot for a barrel. Secondly, I know there are slugs that have kind of a rifling carved into the slug.
So is it worth paying that much and looking really hard for that barrel? Or will the slugs I mentioned be plenty accurate enough using the normal barrel? And what choke is suggested for a rifled slug if using a normal barrel?
And yes, I already know what some answers will be: For $500, buy a pump action with a rifled barrel. Trying to avoid that.
Old August 30, 2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Doyle

Rifled slugs can indeed be decently accurate. They are significantly cheaper than sabot slugs - which is a good thing because of what you need to do. Shotgun barrels shooting slugs will frequently love one brand of slugs and absolutely hate another brand. That means you MUST experiment with several brands to find out what flavor yours likes and then stick with that brand. As to choke, generally the most open choke you have will shoot best - but even that can vary. I've seen Mod choked barrels shoot better than IC choked ones on occasion.

As to slug brands, be sure and try Brenneke KOs. They have a good reputation for shooting well in a variety of barrels (both smooth bore and also rifled barrels). They are a little more expensive than rifled slugs but if they shoot better, the cost is justified.
Old August 30, 2017, 08:40 PM   #3
GarandTd

Yup, what Doyle said. The key is to try different brands and see how which performs the best. With my very cheap Maverick 88, the bead site, and a 6-o-clock hold, I'm pegging near the bullseye at 75 yards. Haven't tried further. That's with a modified choke.
Old August 30, 2017, 09:12 PM   #4
lefteye

Sabot slugs fired through a rifled barrel are dramatically more accurate than lead rifled slugs, i.e., Foster slugs, fired through any barrel. My statement is based on many years of experience hunting deer where center-fire rifles are prohibited.
Old August 30, 2017, 09:45 PM   #5
FITASC

Quote:
And when they did have it in production, it was about $450 - $500 for the barrel. That's a lot for a barrel.
It's about half the price of the gun, and a barrel is half of the gun, so not totally out of line. And the comment above about rifled barrels being more accurate is something to consider depending on your hunting conditions and distances.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 31, 2017, 04:05 AM   #6
kozak6

Is a used barrel ok? $109 and shipping. I'm unaffiliated with the seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Browning-Max...item33d5b62efc
Old August 31, 2017, 07:55 AM   #7
TrueBlue711

Quote:
It's about half the price of the gun, and a barrel is half of the gun, so not totally out of line.
By that logic, yes you're right. But also since they're out of production, I wouldn't expect one to find one for less than $600. If I can even find one.

Quote:
Is a used barrel ok? $109 and shipping. I'm unaffiliated with the seller.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Browning-Max...item33d5b62efc
Good find! I wish the rail wasn't cut off. Not sure why they would do that. Also, my Maxus is 3.5". I don't think a 3" barrel will fit :-( Thanks for looking though!

Most of the spots I've seen with shotgun only is 100 yards max shooting usually. Brush and hills prevent me from shooting much further. So from some of the responses I've seen, rifled slugs with smooth bore barrels are just fine for 100 yds and under?
Old August 31, 2017, 08:12 AM   #8
Siggy-06

Rifled slugs should be gppd to go under 100 yards. I can shoot 50 yards pretty accurately without a scope on my mossberg.
Old August 31, 2017, 08:14 AM   #9
zipspyder

Quote:
Sabot slugs fired through a rifled barrel are dramatically more accurate than lead rifled slugs, i.e., Foster slugs, fired through any barrel. My statement is based on many years of experience hunting deer where center-fire rifles are prohibited.
Hunting with shotguns I would have to agree with lefteye on this. If you are willing to spend a few more dollars on ammo that would be the best route.
Old August 31, 2017, 03:01 PM   #10
ShootistPRS

The rifled barrel for 3" slugs will fit the action of a shotgun with a 3.5 inch chamber. The internal chambering has nothing to do with how the barrel mounts.
Old August 31, 2017, 03:31 PM   #11
FITASC

Isn't there a barrel extension on these though? I know on ny Beretta gas guns, I cannot swap barrels from my 3" to my 3.5" or the other way around because of that.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 1, 2017, 10:22 PM   #12
SC4006

Just want to point out something I didn't see mentioned. I think you are mistaken in that the rifling on rifled slugs is there to spin the slug. The reason the rifling is on there is so that you can fire them through a choke. As the slug passes through the smaller diameter choke the rifling allows it to compress in order to fit through it. A rifled slug fired from smoothbore will not spin.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old September 2, 2017, 01:34 PM   #13
Bill DeShivs

The rifling on rifled slugs is there to impart spin to the projectile.
Whether it actually DOES that is up for conjecture. The heavy nose of the slug keeps it from wobbling in flight.
The soft lead construction and the hollow base are what let slugs safely pass through chokes.
Old September 2, 2017, 02:28 PM   #14
Dufus

Quote:
A rifled slug fired from smoothbore will not spin.
How do we know this?? Is it conjecture (a wild guess) or proven?
Old September 2, 2017, 06:02 PM   #15
SC4006

Hm, I seem to be mistaken. This Video shows that they do indeed spin. I could have sworn I remember they found they did not spin at all on the high speed footage. So they can spin relatively slowly. Whether or not that really makes a difference I don't know. It is without a doubt not as accurate as a sabot slug through a rifled barrel that's for sure.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old September 4, 2017, 12:57 PM   #16
T. O'Heir

"...A rifled slug fired from smoothbore will not spin..." Nonsense. That's why the slug itself is rifled.
You can expect 2 to 3 inch groups at 100 yards with any slug and a smooth bore. You still have to try a box of as many brands as you can to find the ammo your shotgun likes.
"...choke is suggested for a rifled slug..." Cylinder or IC.
Old September 7, 2017, 12:10 PM   #17
TrueBlue711

I heard about rifled chokes. Will that help as well for smoothbore using rifled slugs? Or will the "rifling on rifling" not be good?
Old September 7, 2017, 12:26 PM   #18
Doyle

Quote:
I heard about rifled chokes. Will that help
Rifled chokes are largely a gimmick engineered to separate shooters from their cash. I have never seen any evidence that they improve slug performance over and above what you would get by simply matching the brand/type of slug to your particular barrel.
Old September 7, 2017, 12:42 PM   #19
FITASC

Rifled chokes are supposed to help when using a sabot slug in a smoothbore barrel. Whether they add enough rotation to be accurate, you'll have to determine on a target.
Old September 19, 2017, 06:19 AM   #20
jrothWA

There are three projectiles for shotgun barrels,

the first is the "Foster" rifled slug, which, is a hollow based projectile, it actd like a Badmiton shuttle cock, with the heavy nose keeping hte projectile heading towards the target. Maximumrange with paper plate grouping is 80 yards, using a smooth bore barrel.
The advantage of this projectile, is that the shell an fire through any choked barrel, as the external lands will squeeze down and allow passage.
Some experiements cannot prove spinning is achieved.

A second slug is the "German made Brenneke" developed in the late 1890, it uses a heavy lead slug, with external lans, but has a wad column screwed / attached to the base. The wad give better fit traveling the barrel.
This has better range through a smooth bore barrel, to 100yds, then DROPS.

The third is the sabot, which is a plastic envelope with a smaller projectile inside, it travels down a rifled shotgun barrel, engaing the lands and impart spin, after exiting the barrel, the envelope seperates and projectilehead to the target, still spinning. Very good accuracy, are more expensive and range to 120 yds,

The first two projectile can be shot thru a rilfed barrel, BUT the lead with eventually start fillingnhte land& grooves giving poor grouping.

The sabot can be fired froma smooth bore but has poor range and grouping.

You have to shooot different projectile from your shotgun and see what give best grouping and range.
Old October 4, 2017, 06:01 PM   #21
Jackal11

Most accurate: Sabots in fully rifled barrel.
Accuracy: varies, but generally say 2inch @ 100yd. Test your combination to figure out your group size.

Middle accuracy: Sabots through rifled choketube.
Accuracy: varies widely. With sabots that "like" the choke say 3inch @ 100yd. With sabots that do not like the choke groups are anyone's guess. Test your combination to figure out your group size.

Least accurate: Slugs through smoothbore barrel.
Accuracy: varies but say 4" @ 100yd. Test your combination to figure out your group size.
Old October 4, 2017, 08:28 PM   #22
Doyle

Lots of wild ass guesses there Jackal11. Got some actual data to back it up?
Old October 4, 2017, 09:12 PM   #23
ocharry

I dont think the high dollar rifled barrels and the 2 dollar plus slugs offer that much in a real deer woods.....I could be wrong...but I doubt that most deer killed with a shot gun would average 75 yrds or less...I have killed many inside 30 yrds...I could be wrong....but I know for a fact.....when I lived in Ohio....17 years ago....shot gun smooth bore was it for a long time.....and I have killed lots and lots of deer with my 870 and later my 1100 with Remington rifled slugs

I live in Missouri now and we can use rifles here....and I also know now in Ohio they can use some rifle and pistol cal. Guns.....But

If I had to go back to slugs....I would not have a problem ....inside 75 yrds a smooth bore and a slug WILL get it done...very nicely.....my old 1100 will clover leaf them at 50 yrds....and it is a sledge hammer

All this fancy stuff is a passing fad....lmao....

My .02

Ocharry
Old October 4, 2017, 11:04 PM   #24
243winxb

A Mossberg 500 , 12 Gauge 24" Rifled Bore Shotgun Barrel 3" Chamber Cantilever Scope Mount , with sabots is more accurate than a smooth bore with forster slugs.

At 100 yards- Cantilever - 4" groups of 5 shots with sabots. Forsters do 8"

Smooth bore - forster slugs , iron sights 50 yards, i forget, but not a 100 yard rig. 75 yards maximum.

I cast Lee 12 ga key drive slugs for a scoped Mossberg Cantilever. Fired 7 groups of 5 shots each for an average of 7" , with the best loading.

When a petal breaks off the shot cup on firing, that slug becomes a flyer. Factory shells sabots are a lot thicker and dont have the petal problem.

Forget rifled choke tubes.

Rifled barrels have different twist rates between brands. The slug has to match the barrel.
Remington would only be accurate with there slug, years ago.

Mossberg had the first rifled slug barrel in production, while working with the inventor of the saboted slug.

Last edited by 243winxb; October 5, 2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old October 6, 2017, 07:18 PM   #25
TRX

> Rifled chokes are largely a gimmick engineered to separate shooters from their cash.

Possibly, but "Paradox rifling" was basically the same thing, offered by Greener, Purdey, and the other premium shotgun and "bore rifle" manufacturers of the 1800s.