The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 8, 2017, 02:08 PM   #26
jmr40

Decide on a bullet weight and manufacturer. Once you start looking at the load manuals you'll find dozens of powders that are acceptable. You could spend a fortune buying different powders and trying different combinations before finding the best one for your rifle. Even though all will work, some have proven to work better than others. In many cases MUCH better.

But there is no reason to reinvent the wheel. Lots of others have tried those combo and asking for specific recommendations is a good idea. If a specific powder seems to be working well for a lot of others chances are good it'll work well for you. This will help you narrow things down considerably.

I wouldn't blindly trust anyone's recommendations without verifying it in a load manual. And just because someone else had good results with a max charge of 47 gr doesn't mean you start at 47 gr. Find that load in a manual. Start on the low end and work up to the level that safely gives you the speed and accuracy you want.

Winston Churchill
Old July 1, 2017, 10:21 PM   #27
sixgunluv

Quote:
You are inquiring about load data correct?
correct. So its called reloading data not a reloading manual? "i figure if i am going to learn this i might as well learn the correct terms."
Reloading data is the information contained in a reloading manual. As far as your original question about various powers....perhaps you could clarify a little more. If your seriously asking if all powders are basically the same then....STOP! Gain some knowledge first before you blow yourself up. If your asking if the different powders listed for a specific caliber and bullet weight and shape are basically the same, then the answer is yes, much more so than just any random powder but will still exhibit differences. Some powders may leave your gun more dirty, some have a more narrow operating range.
Like many others here, my advice is to buy a manual and follow the exact load components and starting load suggestions.

Tags
powder type