The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 3, 2016, 02:27 PM   #26
rickyrick

DNS' post illustrates the importance of seeing what happens when you take a shot.
thats why I advocate the use of muzzle brakes.
Even though some get Razzed for having brakes on something mild like .223, it really helps to make decisions about a follow up shot. I've night hunted and with an aggressive brake, you can see where the bullet strikes.
the hunter in the three miss video probably never saw where his bullets were striking, even though it was apparent in the video.

I've watched Many of DNS' videos and it is usually apparent where the impact is... that helps to decider what error was made and if a follow-up should be attempted
Old January 3, 2016, 02:46 PM   #27
40-82

If you know you missed your first shot clean on a big game animal, perhaps the best solution is to decline a hurried follow up shot. A good theory, but in practice, you may not be all that sure what happened with the first shot.

A case in point: when the sun crested the low hill not too far after dawn, I saw the shadow of the little buck in front of me. I turned. He wasn't more than forty yards broadside. I aimed for the chest with my 1895 35 Winchester. I had it loaded with a Hornady 250 grain. I fired. No reaction. The little buck took one step forward and stopped. I couldn't believe I missed. I fired again. This time he took off downhill at a dead run toward me. Just before running over me, he turned. I fired again, and he went down. The last shot was pure instinct. I have no conscious memory of seeing the sights.

I was glad I got the buck, but I was sick. Only one of the shots hit, but which one. I was betting on the second shot. How could I have performed so poorly?

When I checked the buck for bullet wounds, I found three in the chest, close enough to cover with my hand.