The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2015, 02:58 PM   #1
Badshot170

New Reloader Powder Question

Hi All,

New to reloading, but I am shooting more and have the time so I decided to reload pistol ammo.

I have researched much and decided on a Lee Classic 4 hole turrett press. I don't want a true progressive press because I think I will get lost on everything going on. And being new at it, I want to avoid that.

I will be reloading .38 LRN, 9mm and .45 ACP. In reading up I think that Win231 or HP 38 (I know both are the same) is the best powder. But I live in Northern NJ and can't find that powder anywhere. Even the big box stores like Cabela's and Bass Pro never have it.

So, my question is, what is the best equivilant powder, I am shooting CAS and paper/steel. Any suggestions and why would be helpful.

Thanks,
Old September 30, 2015, 03:02 PM   #2
GeauxTide

Those are perfect powders for your use in all three calibers, especially since they are available.
Old September 30, 2015, 03:07 PM   #3
jwrowland77

Your best bet, would be to find a place online and order in bulk. Those powders are great in those calibers.

Find a place in stock and order 16 pounds of it and order 5k+ primers. That way your hazmat will be spread out more over your order.
Old September 30, 2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

Bullseye

Welcome to TFL.

Quote:
I have researched much and decided on a Lee Classic 4 hole turrett press. I don't want a true progressive press because I think I will get lost on everything going on. And being new at it, I want to avoid that.
I'd lean toward a single stage press. But a turret is good too. I know this isn't the trust of your post; so I'll leave it be.

Quote:
I think that Win231 or HP 38 (I know both are the same) is the best powder. But I live in Northern NJ and can't find that powder anywhere. Even the big box stores like Cabela's and Bass Pro never have it.
W231/HP-38 is one of THE most in-demand powders. It would indeed be good for your applications. But there's other powders in the same burn rate neighborhood. Cabela's has Red Dot and TiteGroup and Bullseye right now - any of these would work; although, I'd go with Bullseye over TiteGroup; and TiteGroup over Red Dot.

Bullseye is clearly faster than TiteGroup. It will deliver excellent target ammo with all three of your calibers. If you like to pump up your rounds just a little over pure-target, then TiteGroup would indeed be an excellent choice.
Old September 30, 2015, 03:10 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

Those are all good powders and you won't go wrong by starting out with them. Order online and pay the toll to get it. Maybe your Cabela's or other shop can order you some.

If you had let us know the bullets and bullet weights you plan on using, substitutes could be provided, but your research should include owning a reloading manual, such 'Modern Reloading' by Richard Lee, there are several loads recommended for each bullet and weight.
Old September 30, 2015, 04:00 PM   #6
sghart3578

Bullseye
Old September 30, 2015, 04:11 PM   #7
Sevens

CAS shooters benefit greatly from very light loads and if loading cast lead, IMR Trail Boss is an extremely popular choice.

For 9mm and .45, I would probably chase down some Bullseye, or maybe try the new BE-86.
Old September 30, 2015, 04:28 PM   #8
steve4102

Ramshot Zip

Accurate #2

Ramshot True Blue

Accurate #5
Old September 30, 2015, 04:57 PM   #9
Kosh75287

Ball powders will work best with the Lee, but I concur with the recommendation that you start with a single-stage press for at least a little while. I started reloading with Unique, and have stuck with it for 30+ years. When I couldn't obtain Unique, I found that Herco is a really fine substitute. W231/HP38 works well in all the rounds you mention, burns cleanly, meters well (far better than Unique), and has a huge following.

I've used it, but never developed an appreciation for it like the rest of the world. Among other things, I can push further into the "magnum envelope" of pressures and velocities with Unique (more so with Herco) than I can with 231. Since I own and load for a .357 and a .45 Colt Redhawk, that's a consideration for me, but probably not for you.

If you DO decide to go the "one powder for all pistols" route, I'd suggest Accurate #5. It's burning rate seems to be between Unique and Herco, and meters very well. It might burn slightly dirty in lower-pressure loads for your guns, but as pressures increase, it works wonderfully. Another one worth trying is IMR SR-4756.

I'm not familiar with the other Winchester Pistol/Shotgun Powders (WST, WSF), but I think they share W231's reputation for easy metering and clean burning. Do some research on load data with those, and you may find them more easily obtainable than W231/HP38.

انجلو. المسلحة. جاهزة. Carpe SCOTCH!
Old September 30, 2015, 05:08 PM   #10
emcon5

I think you are looking at this from the wrong direction. There is nothing wrong with picking a powder you want to use, but in the current environment, you need to have a second choice. You also need a third, fourth, and in all likelihood fifth and sixth choices.

There are quite a few powders that will work with what you want to load, your best bet is to see what is available locally and pick one that works for all. You may not find the exact powder you want, but you should be able to find one that will work.
Old September 30, 2015, 06:53 PM   #11
TailGator

Unique works for a lot of pistol applications. People gripe about its metering properties, but I get +/- 0.1 grain with a Lee Auto-Disk Pro on a Classic Turret press, plenty acceptable for plinking rounds.

I buy powder in one of two ways: (1) I take my data books with me, go in the store to see what is in stock, go back out to the car to see what I have recipes for, and then head back in to make my purchase. (2) More commonly, I order what I want from BassPro online and have it shipped to the store. They offer free shipping to the store and no hazmat fee. Their prices aren't great, but they aren't horrible, either.
Old September 30, 2015, 11:08 PM   #12
sghart3578

I'll repeat my recommendation of Bullseye and add that you made a terrific choice with the Lee Classic Turret. I have had one for years and it is awesome.

Read the instructions, take your time, experiment and in no time you will be putting out quality reloads.

When I got mine I removed the indexing rod at first. I then treated it as a single stage press. I would manually index the head to the next station until I got the hang of it.

Best of luck, you are on your way.
Old October 1, 2015, 09:30 AM   #13
Reloader2

+1 on the Lee Turret press. I started loading on mine a couple of years ago. It sucks that I can't always find the powder I want.
For starting out any powder listed in the reloading manual will give you something to start with as you learn the reloading process.
Old October 1, 2015, 09:56 AM   #14
condor bravo

Reloading Unlimited has the Win 231 powder in stock. Today they show 9 one lb cans available.
Old October 1, 2015, 11:36 AM   #15
mikld

I agree with emcon5, you have chosen great powders for the calibers mentioned, but it don't mean nuttin' if you can't find any. Check your reloading manuals and make a list of powders, of a close burn speed, for all your calibers and keep that with you when you go shopping. I really resent paying Hazmat fees for powder and primers (I did a little work with Hazmat materials shipping and handling for a large west coast city utility) and think it's truly a rip off, but the suggestion of buying bulk and paying hazmat is not out of the question. The only drawback is what if you don't like the powder that you just bought in an 8 lb. jug? I know it could easily be disposed of/sold, but having 7 3/4 pounds of an unwanted powder is just a pain...
Old October 1, 2015, 12:26 PM   #16
sawdustdad

A powder that hasn't been mentioned, and seems more available, is HiSkor 700x. That's what I use in .38spl loads for CAS. I use 2.8g under a 125g RNFP or TCFP ( I shoot Missouri Bullet Co. Hi-Tek coated bullets). Shoots very clean at these light loads. (Another Powder not mentioned for CAS loads that would shoot clean, if you can find it is AA Nitro100 (NF).) I don't use Trail Boss for .38 but have used it in .45 colt. I know a lot of folks do use it in .38.

Last edited by sawdustdad; October 1, 2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old October 1, 2015, 02:01 PM   #17
stubbicatt

Both the 38s and 45s will work with similar powders very well. It is the 9mm that in my experience usually benefits from a bit slower powder. I like Longshot in 9mm, but I don't think it is compatible with the other chamberings. Perhaps initially buy 2 pounds, one of Bullseye or another fast number, and another specifically for the 9mm.
Old October 1, 2015, 02:56 PM   #18
Jim Watson

During the depths of The Panic, a friend was running low on HP38 for 9mm and none to be found.
I prepared a list of 26 powders that had published loading data for 9mm P and we went shopping. We found two of the 26 in stock, he bought one (CFE Pistol) and now prefers it to HP38.

Most of those 26 would also work in .38 and .45. Maybe not the very best, but good enough for somebody to generate the data for them.

Study up.
Old October 1, 2015, 03:09 PM   #19
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Another Powder not mentioned for CAS loads that would shoot clean, if you can find it is AA Nitro100 (NF)
sawdustdad: Shhhhh - that was supposed to be our secret

Yes, Nitro 100 (NF) is sweet stuff. (NF = New Formulation. Whenever I mention Nitro 100, I mean NF.) I've only used it in 38 Special; and that's all I need to use it in. 90% of what I load is target/competition 38 Special rounds; and Nitro 100 makes superb ammo for that application. I suspect it would also work well in 45 ACP or even 45 Colt - both for light loads. It's a super-fast propellant that generates its energy very quickly. I would be reluctant to load it in cartridges with tight confines (9mm, 40 S&W, etc.). The smaller the initial space, the faster the burn rate. It burns really fast in spacious cases as it is.

Quote:
Both the 38s and 45s will work with similar powders very well.
Yes. As quirky as this may sound, powders well suited for 38 Special are almost invariably well suited in 45 ACP. It's just one of those things. There are exceptions though. HS-6 for instance. Loaded really stout, I can get it to run well in 45, but not so much in 38 Special.

Quote:
It is the 9mm that in my experience usually benefits from a bit slower powder.
Yes as well. The small case of the 9mm "shifts" the powder's burn rate to the faster side. So a slower powder in 38 Special may well behave more like a faster powder in 9mm. HS-6 would be an excellent example of this. It's iffy in 38 Special; but is outstanding in 9mm.
Old October 1, 2015, 04:15 PM   #20
Nathan

Tell us what is available....seems that is pretty important
Old October 1, 2015, 05:36 PM   #21
alexcue

I'll just concur with the Classic Turret Press. You don't have to run it in auto-index mode. It will function just fine in manual mode, and hence in Single stage mode for all practical purposes. Great to learn on and get comfortable with the feel of the stations.

I use Win231/HP38 for most of those loads, as well as .357 (powder puff load but better than 38 +P range). I was lucky and purchased 8lb keg of that stuff years ago, and it has lasted a really long time. My powder source let me in on a secret that he was getting some more HP38, and picked up some more. I'm set for quite a while with it.
Old October 1, 2015, 06:11 PM   #22
ckpj99

I live in southern Ohio and there's probably five places that sell powder in my area. They all have a limited and frankly bad selection. I load for 38 Special and I use Trail Boss for plinking load only because that what I was able to find when I started reloading. When I run out of it, I'll have to switch to a different powder.

I've been reloading for 45-70 for several years. I have three or four different powders I've tried in it because I keep picking stuff up when I see it available. None of it has been the best pick for the loads I make.

I finally found my dream powder in Nashville. There's a reloading shop there that BLEW MY MIND. No one in Nashville should EVER complain about availability of components.

You guys that have good reloading shops in your towns just don't understand what it's like for folks that don't.

My advice echos what others have said, just get something that works. Shooting your own reloads, even if they're a little dirty or something, is still way better than shooting factory loads.
Old October 1, 2015, 07:55 PM   #23
sawdustdad

I don't have any personal load development experience yet, but I've purchased several pounds of Clays and Clay Dot as potential powders for .38spl.

Many CAS shooters use these powders. So you can add those to your list when you go shopping. I was lucky to find a few pounds and picked them up to try, though I continue to hear around the campfire that it's scarce as W231/HP38.

Red Dot, though faster, is another plinking round powder that shoots very clean in light loads. That's what I'm loading .44spl with.
Old October 2, 2015, 07:52 AM   #24
Badshot170

Thanks for all the advice, I am going to read up on some of the powders mentioned, Bullseye and Accurate #5 are first on the research list and then the others.

Thanks again.
Old October 2, 2015, 11:33 AM   #25
mikld

Quote:
I'll just concur with the Classic Turret Press. You don't have to run it in auto-index mode. It will function just fine in manual mode, and hence in Single stage mode for all practical purposes. Great to learn on and get comfortable with the feel of the stations.
I got my Lee turret about 13 years ago and when setting up my dies for the first time I was having a bit of trouble with the turret indexing every time, so I disabled the indexing thing-a-ma-bob and hand indexed. I still haven't replaced the do-hicky and I really l prefer to hand index. I'm not wanting a semi-progressive and I'm not into "speed reloading" so this works perfect for me. Advantages of both a turret and a single stage!