The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old May 10, 2014, 03:59 PM   #51
Beretta686

My family owns 600 acres down in Live Oak county and hogs are a constant problem rutting stuff up and such. They'll tear up a smooth pasture in a few years to where you'll loose fillings driving across it at anything but a crawl pace.

About the only overstated thing about them is that they're extremely dangerous. I've shot them with everything from 22LR pistols to 9mm SMGs and .50BMG and aside from one instance where a confused little one ran at me after I opened up with an AK, I've never been charged or felt in danger from them.

I have heard tons of tales about them attacking people and such, but I've never actually known someone who's been attacked. That being said, I still pack a powerful handgun when hunting.

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old May 10, 2014, 08:15 PM   #52
tomrkba

Quote:
tomrkba....Too long for me to read..but the trap set up was a good one....
Oh, no! It's a great thread...just read the OP's posts and look at the pictures.
Old May 10, 2014, 09:04 PM   #53
reloader28

Keg, I salute you.
Nothing ticks me off more than someone collecting damage money which comes from taxpayers and all they do is wine about it.
They want the handout money, but wont give anything in return.

It just seems thats the way most people are.
Old May 10, 2014, 09:13 PM   #54
kilimanjaro

Just for the record, any 'subsidy' that a farmer or rancher gets, he has worked for it, either in crops, losing a crop, or damage to his investment.

'Handout' is not the word to use.
Old May 11, 2014, 08:44 AM   #55
Keg

Quote:
Oh, no! It's a great thread...just read the OP's posts and look at the pictures.
I just saw there was about 50 pages.... Trapping IS much more productive than hunting pigs..but there are expenses....

Quote:
Keg, I salute you.
Nothing ticks me off more than someone collecting damage money which comes from taxpayers and all they do is wine about it.
They want the handout money, but wont give anything in return.

It just seems thats the way most people are.
I've never checked into it..I doubt there would be much money for me....The drought is the main problem now....I figure farmers have much more damage....

I'm gonna say....There are lots of hogs....There is a lot of damage....To let strangers on my land would just compound problems....Some folks would say..well U don't have that much of a problem then? Well it's not enough of a problem to open another can of worms.... I know enough folks that live in my area(family & friends)..to supply these folks with some hunting for free....There are no guarantees....The pigs are mainly nocturnal and they come and go....Like I said before..trapping helps more than hunting....
Old May 12, 2014, 02:21 PM   #56
Dusty Rivers

Reloader 28 you are wrong

Wrong, I hunt, my neighbors hunt. We hunt and trap each others places. Almost all of us have permanent and portable traps. Most popular is large corral traps so we can catch them 5 to 10 at a time if we get lucky. Hogs are very smart. If you want details try http://feederlight.texasbaors.com/
These people mostly know what they are doing and saying when it comes to wild hogs. If you want the true information on hogs, go to that forum.

I do not know anyone that makes government money from hogs. That is just a silly internet comment. There were a couple of stations where you could take hogs to, but it didn't pay for the gas to take them there. The last I read about 2 years ago was .04 to .06 cents a pound if they would take them. $8 worth of diesel for a 200# hog doesn't get you far in Texas

Places to go on guided hog hunts will sometimes take your hogs, but then you have to trap them live and have a way to trailer them. They are very dangerous to move around with out specialized equipment. It is against the law to trap them and release them just any old place.

I wouldn't presume to tell you who to let on your land. Most hog hunting has to be done at night. That is when you find them, rarely during the day.
When you have horses, cattle, equipment, barns, and houses in flat areas having anyone that you do not know and trust is a very dangerous. I wasn't looking for any sympathy. My point is hogs are areal problem in Texas. We have a couple of million of them running around here and there. If you don't have hogs, you have no clue what damage they can do.
Old May 12, 2014, 09:49 PM   #57
Keg

http://southwestfarmpress.com/livest...moval-programs

https://texasagriculture.gov/GrantsS...ogGrantProgram

https://texasagriculture.gov/GrantsS...ntProgram.aspx
Old May 13, 2014, 09:29 AM   #58
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The first link, above, pretty well answers the OP question.
Closed Thread