The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 17, 2013, 11:19 PM   #1
redrick

Ted Nugent

I just got back from a Ted Nugent concert. What a great show. At the age of 65 he is in great shape. He says it comes from eating venison and not using drugs, alcohol, or tobacco.

He had a lot of hunting, political and gun right messages in between songs.

He said he gives away AK47's every year to people because it is a tax right off. I liked that.

I feel good right now, from his great guitar playing and his message of freedom and taking back our country.

Uncle Ted is a true American.
Old August 17, 2013, 11:27 PM   #2
dakota.potts

I think he's made an outright fool of himself and he's not the kind of political pundit who can be taken seriously if you don't agree with his views. I certainly don't think he's helping us much.

However, as far as preaching to the choir goes and wanting the same things as us, I have no doubts that he would ever personally vote for anything less than our fullest rights.
Old August 17, 2013, 11:39 PM   #3
redrick

I disagree and will not repeat what Ted would tell you.

I had to say that before this thread gets closed.
Old August 17, 2013, 11:42 PM   #4
4runnerman

Ted is a great gun activist for sure. He is not (so to say) the best role model ,but is very out spoken and blunt with his message. I do like his music for sure
Old August 17, 2013, 11:52 PM   #5
redrick

Why is he not a good role model ? He is a rocker that preaches against drugs, alcohol and tobacco use and is for freedom.
Old August 18, 2013, 12:08 AM   #6
pelo801

I think a lot of people "on the fence" or the antis see him as the stereo typical gun nut. Although some of his ideals may resonate with me, I don't think he represents me and don't really appreciate the comparisons either. I think most view him as a zealot, and that is not a true representation of a passionate gun owner.
Old August 18, 2013, 01:01 AM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
He is a rocker that preaches against drugs, alcohol and tobacco use and is for freedom.
Who isn't for freedom?

The problem with Nugent is that he often does very inconsistent and cringe-worthy things. Let us not forget that he is a poacher. That's not my opinion; he's been convicted.

This is the same guy who frequently resorts to profanity and hyperbole. The government has not killed or jailed him like he claimed last year. Stunts like waving an AR-15 at a concert and inviting political candidates to do unweaponly things with it isn't the sort of impression we really need to be making.

Some folks like his music. Some folks may agree with his sentiments. But just because he mouths the right slogans some of the time doesn't mean he's qualified to represent us.
Old August 18, 2013, 01:02 AM   #8
redrick

Do you think of the NRA as Radical ? If no, are you a member ?

Ted is on the board.
Old August 18, 2013, 01:08 AM   #9
dakota.potts

That's an "appeal to authority" logical fallacy
Old August 18, 2013, 01:27 AM   #10
K1500

Uhh...he may preach no tobacco but he is in TV smoking a cigar.
Old August 18, 2013, 03:48 AM   #11
Brit

Ted was on a TV Interview with the English fool, Pierce Morgan. He did good our Ted, looked like snatching Morgan over the table was on his mind!

Just realize he is an entertainer, no better, no worse than any other in that trade, and be entertained.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; August 19, 2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: it's not OK to insult people by playing with their names.
Old August 18, 2013, 04:27 AM   #12
Old Stony

I'm not a big fan of Ted's music, just not my style, but I have to love some of his other performances. Some people will chastise him for being "over the top", but that's his right....just as the things he champions are our right. You can chose to watch him or not, but I for one think he is very entertaining and certainly dedicated to our cause.
I don't think I would want to publicly debate Ted on many subjects as he has strong opinions and can state his side very forcefully. He also does his homework very well and is prepared to make his case however it needs to be stated.
I don't think Ted wants to be our "lord and protector" as Obama does, and I for one, appreciate his hard work and dedication to the cause. We don't have enough people out there with access to the media that can take them to task for their bias. Maybe he is a little too forceful, but he is a force in the right direction.
I would love to sit down to a good venison dinner with him and discuss our common interests. Keep up the good work Ted!
Old August 18, 2013, 06:24 AM   #13
TheNatureBoy

Draft dodger

I served my country for 8 1/2 years/U.S.A.F

Last edited by TheNatureBoy; August 19, 2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old August 18, 2013, 07:09 AM   #14
Kreyzhorse

Ted is just Ted. Generally I agree with him but oftentimes his message gets over looked due to his presentation. I think he does more good than harm though and I do like that is doesn't give a damn about being PC.
Old August 18, 2013, 07:16 AM   #15
LewSchiller

Quote:
Stunts like waving an AR-15 at a concert and inviting political candidates to do unweaponly things with it isn't the sort of impression we really need to be making.
This is where Ted loses me.
It's just like when we point out that Assault Rifle is a concocted term, but then manufacturers apply it to AR-15 accessories.

It's amazing that we can still walk considering how often we shoot our feet.
Old August 18, 2013, 09:02 AM   #16
David13

Yeah, the guy is amazing. He forged his talent by true and due diligence out of raw metal, as it were.
And still at it and fresh at his age.
I'm not a big fan of his music.
But I watch his show on tv all the time. His is a great b&w hunter.
The energy he has, the enthusiasm. He truly enjoys his life.
No better way to go, as I see it.
dc
Old August 18, 2013, 10:18 AM   #17
FoghornLeghorn

I appreciate nuge's support of guns and would like to go hunting with him sometime. But the gun issue is highly volatile and public relations/perception is vital.

The fact is that nuge is not the kind of person we want representing us.

He's a convicted poacher, he went to his draft board wearing urine soaked and feces caked clothes, and he's constantly trying to be controversial by what he says and how he says it.

My job, before I retired, was public relations intensive. Trust me, nuge is not the kind of person you want trying to sell your message to a hostile audience.

And I like nuge. I saw him in concert when he was still with Amboy Dukes, opening for Steppenwolf.

But we want more of a Henry Kissinger: somebody who doesn't have a checkered background, can hold his emotions in check and present just the facts.

Last edited by FoghornLeghorn; August 18, 2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old August 18, 2013, 10:19 AM   #18
Pahoo

Reminds me of my Brother

Ted reminds me of my Brother; for the most part, the problem is not what he says, but how he says it. He has a way of bringing you back to reality by slapping you along side the head. One of the few political folks that is speaking truths but personally, I'm patience is limited on listening to his rants. He is a Patriot and a strange one at that !!! ....

Be Safe !!!
Old August 18, 2013, 10:37 AM   #19
BuckRub

I'll take Ted anytime!!!!

Last edited by BuckRub; August 18, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old August 18, 2013, 11:15 AM   #20
Mainah

I saw him in concert about 32 years ago when I was 15. I enjoyed myself. What I didn't know at the time was that Ted's girlfriend at the time (one of them anyway) was my age. To his credit he did eventually marry her, after he emancipated her from her parents.

I've talked to people who met him, and they reported that he's a decent, smart, and thoughtful guy in person. IMHO his act in public is mostly designed to promote his brand. Nothing wrong with that, but he doesn't speak for me.
Old August 18, 2013, 12:02 PM   #21
jhenry

I really can't get past the issue of Ted turning tail when his country called.

I am quite pleased that he is an ardent supporter of our troops at this stage of his life, I just wish he would come clean and apologize for what he did. Many folks, myself included would forgive him if he asked. That he has not asked tells me something.
Old August 18, 2013, 12:26 PM   #22
44 AMP
Staff

Being extreme, and "in your face" may not be he best strategy, but it has been working for quite some time for the other side.

Personally, I find it rather refreshing. Calm, dispassionate logic in the court of public opinion is a losing tactic too often these days, even if it is the morally right choice. A degree of fighting fire with fire is needed, I think. It's certainly emotionally satisfying.

Ted's no saint. He doesn't represent me (on one does, I choose my "role models" like I choose everything else). But the message is right, even if the delivery upsets the old ladies sewing circle. And if the messenger has flaws, well, find a better one, and support them instead.

Does Ted's style do more harm than good? Possibly. But at least he tries.

I'm not quite the same person I was 40 years ago, and I doubt Ted is either. And I fail to see what good it does to bring up things from then, as if they were fully relevant today. Unless, of course, they are still fully relevant today....Not everything is, you know.

I do have to wonder, how going to the draft board, wearing the most disgusting thing imaginable, and basically daring them to determine he was fit for service, how is that worse than someone with future political plans going to study abroad (and participating in anti war protests in a foreign country, NOT in this one) during their years of draft eligibility.

I don't think either one was right, but I do give more credit to the guy who fought the system for his beliefs than the guy who left the country so he didn't have to run that risk.
Old August 18, 2013, 01:38 PM   #23
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
the guy who fought the system
Absolutely false. He didn't "fight the system." He convinced his local draft board that he was crazy. Too crazy to join the army. He did that so he could rock and roll and party all night. At best, he "fooled the system." What he did was dishonest at best.

Cassius Clay "fought the system." He got drafted and flat out refused to go. And he took his lumps. Nugent took no lumps. Nuge's career soared.

What both of them did was reprehensible. They refused to go, and somebody else had to go in their place. That somebody else maybe died because nuge and clay refused to do their duty.

Sorry, nuge didn't "fight" the system. He was a coward who refused to serve.
Old August 18, 2013, 01:42 PM   #24
arch308

I like Uncle Ted. I don't agree with all his methods but then I don't agree totally with anybody. I love his total absence of political correctness. He is truly committed to the defense of the second amendment and uses his venues to the best of his abilities. Yeah, he's sometimes a half bubble off plumb but he is on our side and does a lot of unpaid work for the cause.
We've all done things we aren't proud of and I won't hold 40 year old mistakes against him.
Old August 18, 2013, 02:09 PM   #25
Glenn E. Meyer

He and Anthony Bourdain (food dude) have a touch of a bromance.

The draft and the war is a complex issue not for us.