The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 29, 2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Sherlock007

Trouble With EAA Bounty Hunter

I brought an EAA Bounty Hunter from a neighbor in March and have taken it to the range a few times where it shot great. Yesterday however, I noticed a lot of keyholing on target, while the spent cases showed signs of serious overpreasure. There is no cylinder play and both the rifling and crown are free of damage. I thought it was lead fouling but after I cleaned the barrel and the cylinder the gun shot just as bad as it did before it was cleaned.
Old May 29, 2013, 05:47 PM   #2
Bob Wright

Caliber? Ammunition?

Many things can lead to keyholing, undersized bullets, undersized chamber throats, many things contribute to that.

Give us a little more details and we'll give you an answer. May not be the right one, but we'll sure give you one!

Bob Wright
Old May 29, 2013, 07:21 PM   #3
Sherlock007

Here are two pictures of the problem. In both photos I was using Winchester Super X 22lr. I have also tried CCI and Federal( even tried rat shot) but still had case deformity. I took the shots at 7 yards but the placement was so random that I missed the paper a few times. The cases have elongated tapers with splits that sometimes run along the whole case.I have tried a few subsonic rounds but the accuracy is still poor even though the cases survive. I have cleaned and polished the forcing cone using a large bronze brush and some Flitz. I have checked the cylinder alignment by bore sighting (empty of course) and didn't see any serious misalignment. There is a lot of lead fouling on the top of the frame just above the forcing cone but it is not obstructing the cylinder. When I took it to the range I let a guy shoot it and before I could say don't fan the gun he had emptied the whole cylinder. The ejector no longer lines up at half cock but that seems to be the only damage.
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old May 29, 2013, 10:58 PM   #4
Newton24b

i have an idea on this. carefully look at the photo of the fired case. almost looks like a miniature .45acp case due to the swelling.

does the eaa bounty hunter come in a 22 lr AND 22 MAGNUM clyinder? almost looks like your using 22lr in a 22 mag cylinder.
Old May 30, 2013, 05:55 AM   #5
Carmady

Newton24B: "almost looks like your using 22lr in a 22 mag cylinder."

That's my guess as well.
Old May 30, 2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Sherlock007

Holy cow! How did I miss that? I guess I must have accidentally switched cylinders when I was cleaning. Thanks for the help, I was just about to send it in for repair.