The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2013, 09:47 AM   #1
balderclev

Lizard Litter

Picked up some Lizard litter, ground English walnuts media at the pet store a few days ago.

Added a little Nufinish and cleaned some brass that had been deprimed. What great results! Restored the brass to like new and even cleaned the primer pockets. No dust.

The corn cob media would hardly touch the primer pockets but this stuff works great and is cheaper.
Old April 4, 2013, 12:32 PM   #2
gundog5

I concur, same results as yours and I'll add that it is a bit courser then the stuff from the lgs and cleans the brass better then any i have used in the past at a fourth the price. Paid $20.00 for #25.
Old April 4, 2013, 12:36 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Hm.

I've used Lizard Litter for several years with a few different kinds of polish. Never had it clean primer pockets.
Old April 4, 2013, 12:51 PM   #4
lamarw

Is it available at a major pet store like PetSmart or PetCo? I have not seen it in any, but I really have not looked in the lizard sections.
Old April 4, 2013, 01:05 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I've never seen a dedicated "pet store" that didn't sell it. It's in the section where they sell everything for lizards/reptiles.
Old April 4, 2013, 02:40 PM   #6
lamarw

Thanks Brian, I will check the next time I am in either Petco or Petsmart.

Maybe, I will bring back and insurance salesman (meaning a GEICO Lizard) while I am in there. We have plenty of them on my porch, deck, and boat dock trying to sell me insurance all the time while they change colors.
Old April 4, 2013, 03:00 PM   #7
TATER

Brian,
There are many Grades, Some are finer than others.
Old April 4, 2013, 05:20 PM   #8
balderclev

It's not called Lizard Litter, lol

What I bought was called Desert Blend. I also got a 25 lb bag for about $15. Got it at PetCo and it was in the lizard section.

Didn't make the primer pockets sparkle, but enough so I didn't have to clean them.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:00 PM   #9
CrustyFN

Walmart has it also. I used to use only the walnut. I now mix it 50/50 with blasting cob and the cases clean in the same amount of time and come out even shinier. I also add Nu Finish.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:08 PM   #10
acb

I do the same as crustyfn and works great also put drier sheets in it to help it last longer
Old April 4, 2013, 06:36 PM   #11
Old 454

Never Heard of blasting Cob.....where do ya get that at , I am gonna try that deasert blend, sounds good with a good price
Old April 4, 2013, 08:18 PM   #12
CrustyFN

You can buy it at Harbor Freight, Grainger and on-line at a place called drillspot. It's around $25 for 40 pounds. I poured my 40 pound bag into buckets and it filled three cat litter buckets. I would recommend either the 14-20 or 20-40 grit.I have the 14-20 and it never gets stuck in flash holes or anywhere else.
Old April 4, 2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Beagle333

http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-11442-Gr...=lizard+litter
I get it at Amazon. Free shipping with $25 order. I can't even look at Amazon without racking up $25 worth....
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 4, 2013, 09:21 PM   #14
jfrey

I picked up some last week at Petsmart but it was in the bird isle, not in the lizzard area. Called Kaytee bird litter. Don't know exactly what the bag weighed but it is enough to fill my tumbler twice and I paid $8.50 for it. When you rub it between your fingers it feels sharp and cleans brass very fast.
Old April 5, 2013, 11:15 AM   #15
rclark

Thanks... I just order a couple 10 Quart bags up from amazon. Note that the 25Q bag was cheaper but didn't qualify for free shipping.... So ordered 2 10Q bags and another item I was looking for to bring over $25.... Said I saved over $29 in shipping....
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old April 6, 2013, 11:07 PM   #16
Marco Califo

Size matters

The 10 lb bag I got at Petsmart clogged primer pockets so that I had to keep a toothpick handy. Did so also when mixed 50/50 with corn cob.
Old April 6, 2013, 11:12 PM   #17
Marco Califo

Amazon

rclark: If you were an Amazon Prime member you would get free 2 day shipping of anything Amazon ships (even stuff they sell and ship for others=fulfilled by Amazon; but not stuff shipped by someone else), and not have that issue. Since I buy a lot of things through Amazon (and ALWAYS use it to price compare) it is worth the annual fee to me, because it is less than a year's worth of regular shipping.