The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old June 6, 2011, 01:43 AM   #1
mellow_c

German G43 8mm Mauser!!!

Wow... what a neat old gun...

I just bought a box of old gun stuff off a buddy for $20.00. On of the things in it was an old Box magazine. I didnt know what it was for, so I cleaned it up when I got home and tried to think what kind of rifle it could be for. I figured an old semi auto war rifle.

I ended up searching images on google based on some suspicions I had about the magazine, and I ended up finding that it was made for a G43.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gewehr_43

After doing some more research, I'm finding that the magazines for these guns can sell for around $200.00 !!! The rifles them selves go for $2,000 - $5,000. This is a rare old war rifle used by the Germans in WWII, it was made to stand up to our M1 Garand, but it never functioned as well as they hoped, and was hard to mass produce.

I'm not sure if I should sell this mag, or go buy one of the rifles

If anyone is interested in this thing, let me know, you might be able to help me make up my mind
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1099.jpg (234.3 KB, 226 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1101.jpg (229.5 KB, 151 views)
Old June 6, 2011, 09:36 AM   #2
farmall

Gramps kept the one he had brought home from the war in his pickup all the time. Hate to guess how many deer and coyotes that thing killed. To him it was nothing more than a free bonus he got for serving his country. For all it went through, it's still in pretty good shape, and an uncle has it now.

Cool find!
Old June 6, 2011, 05:23 PM   #3
mellow_c

Thats great to hear. I bet your grandpa loved that thing I'd like to hear more stories about anyone who has one... I should probably have this thread in the Curios and Relics section. Might get more interest there.
Old June 6, 2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Moving to C&R.....
Old June 8, 2011, 12:27 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The G.43 was not a bad rifle and had the designers (Walther) been given enough development time, it might have been an excellent one. But not even Der Führer could order up more time and the rifle never was developed to its full potential. The operating system, a medium stroke piston, has, needless to say, had many descendants.

They are very accurate and it is not surprising that many were used as sniper rifles.

Jim
Old June 26, 2011, 10:13 AM   #6
BigBill

I'm finding out more and more that i research into it the german rifles and handguns in semi auto can be ammo finiky with today's more modern ammo. Using the P38 and P1 walther as an example some have went to stronger recoil springs so they could shoot the modern 9mm luger ammo only to ruin the pistol and damage it. We need to think about this when going to shoot these german guns using modern ammo. I'm thinking i may have to reload some weaker loads so i won't ruin or damage them. I also heard the G43's haven't been the best of shooters too with the same ammo problems but i haven't really researched fully into it yet. I don't really want to invest a lot of cash with something that can give me headaches with ammo. I really like the german guns but we need to be aware of the ammo we put in them. I've also heard about the german lugers too. Everyone thinks the german guns are top of the line but there really not.
Old June 26, 2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Wildalaska

Quote:
Using the P38 and P1 walther as an example some have went to stronger recoil springs so they could shoot the modern 9mm luger ammo only to ruin the pistol and damage it.Using the P38 and P1 walther as an example some have went to stronger recoil springs so they could shoot the modern 9mm luger ammo only to ruin the pistol and damage it.
Huh? If anything, 9mm US ammo is underpowered

WildhasthathappenedtoyouAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old July 1, 2011, 11:03 AM   #8
meatgrinder42

Quote:
I really like the german guns but we need to be aware of the ammo we put in them. I've also heard about the german lugers too. Everyone thinks the german guns are top of the line but there really not.
Really? I've never had any issues with modern ammunition (With the exception of that Blazer garbage) in my P08 or my 'red 9'. And the issue was they jammed constantly because the action didn't get kicked back far enough to eject the casing. I actually had to upgrade to hotter rounds just to make them cough out the brass.

As for the Gewehr 43, it was a very good rifle as long as you were nice to it. The only bad thing I've ever heard about them was that they weren't put into production soon enough and they liked to break firing pins (but that was probably due to poor resources at the end of the war).
Old July 1, 2011, 02:18 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

The G.43 should take any German GI or standard 7.9 round. (I am not sure about the Turkish stuff, some of which is reportedly very hot.)

But, at the price those things are today, it is probably not a real good idea to shoot one. They have had problems, one of which was the first type dust cover which often fails to engage properly and gets bent or broken.

There is also the standard warning that they can be fired without the bolt locking lugs, but I have always felt that was unlikely.

Jim
Old August 13, 2012, 01:51 PM   #10
pitfighter

Nice find - let us know if you plan to sell the mag.
I have a G43 - it came with three mags - but always on the look out for more.

Did you ask your pal how he came by the G43 mag, he might have the rest of it somewhere?

Pit.

Old August 13, 2012, 02:03 PM   #11
BlueTrain

I think they were issued with only three magazines, including the one in the rifle. The soldier had two different kinds of pouches, one for the magazines, the other the standard clip pouch holding five-round clips.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 13, 2012, 04:39 PM   #12
Winchester_73

Man I want one of them (and or a G41), but I have such a pistol fetish, who know if it will ever happen....
Old August 13, 2012, 06:16 PM   #13
pitfighter

Interesting, ref. issued with three mags, I didn't know that.

Thanks,

Pit.
Ref. Your signature, "shoot low they're riding Shetlands..."
That just made me giggle, I don't know what it is a quote from but the image it brings up is very funny.
Old August 16, 2012, 11:00 AM   #14
doofus47

I believe that there is an aftermarket company XXwerke that sells adjustable gas parts for the G43, so you can fire it with various types of ammo w/out damaging the internals.
Old August 16, 2012, 01:04 PM   #15
pitfighter

Apefeltor also make replacement parts - he is very good, but can take a while to respond to emails.

Pit.