The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 9, 2009, 05:15 PM   #1
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Berdan/Boxer Conversion with .303

I've got about fifty 1960 PP-marked Berdan .303 cases that I would like to convert to Boxer cases. In fact, I have already converted 2 of them successfully. Has anyone ever attempted this with .303?

Although it seems to have worked, I have 2 concerns:

1. The swaging process, while tight, still only allows the primer to grip along a thin ridge of metal. The pocket is tight enough that I need the press to insert the primers, I cannot do it by hand, but this worries me a little.

2. The primers are seated below the rim. I assume the Berdan primers had more depth to them. When I fire a round, I have to assume the primer is going to back out to the bolt face. I know this is often a sign of over-pressure with a genuine boxer case, would it be a problem in this case? Will it even happen?

I am also concerned about misfires so I am going to try some with just the primers to see if this is worth doing at all. It's probably only $25 in brass but even trying to get any .303 brass is getting harder.
Old February 9, 2009, 05:46 PM   #2
dahermit

Ingenious solution to a non-existent problem. .303 Boxer primed cases are readily available. Why the need? Just fool'en around?

Quote:
...but even trying to get any .303 brass is getting harder.
But not impossible...then it might be worth the effort. But as it is, if you drill a center flash hole, you will then have three holes by which gas is going to push on the primer. I would not risk it.
Old February 9, 2009, 06:54 PM   #3
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Mostly fooling around but also trying to save money on brass. But I am not the first person to do it, there are a number of instructional guides for doing this on the internet. However, I can't find anyone doing it with .303, mostly rimless cartridges.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:25 PM   #4
totalloser

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showt...ghlight=berdan This thread is worth a look. Drilling out the nipple with the berdan primer in lines up the drill, and gives you a hole to pry out the primer. If the Pocket is now too tight, I'd consider a military crimp swage to uniform it. This will make life much easier. I did some berdan 7.62x51, and it was fun for a little while. Completely impractical, however.