The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2009, 02:24 PM   #1
dgang

Hodgdon changes load data for .223

I had loaded from the '90's data book at 97% of the stated max and found they were excessive, i.e. 60 gr. varmint bullet using H335 going 3180 fps. Has to be excessiBack in '90's Hodgdon printed load data for .223 starting at 40 gr bullets up to 69 gr. From 60 to 64 gr. they used the same data, which I thought unusual. Then for many years you could not find any data for bullets weighing more than 55 gr. Recently though they started giving data on their web site for bullets up to 72gr. (although not in their load manuals). The loads now given for 60 gr to 64 gr,are broken down in different weights and in some cases reduced by up to 10%. I recently chronographed some loads ve pressure. Becareful using the older Hodgdon data
Good shootin' to ya' all, dgang

Last edited by dgang; February 8, 2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old February 8, 2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Sevens

Good advice, but this applies to every powder from every maker. Blends change over the years. Old load data is NOT worthless or useless, but to go straight to old data without looking at current data when working with a current container of powder isn't just a bad idea, it's negligence at the load bench. The inverse is true also... if you've got a 30 year old can of powder, you would be well served to try and find some load data from the same period.

I've wondered for the last five years why Hodgdon acts like bullets over 60 grains don't exist for .223 in their powder guides. Thankfully, they have a very good load data center on their website. I'd like to see it work a little FASTER, but it's a fantastic resource and flexible. All the other powder makers could learn from Hodgdon's data center.

I do like a complete and easy to read powder guide, though, because I can leaf through that at my leisure and at my bench, something that's not possible with the online data.