The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 17, 2016, 09:25 PM   #1
litenite99

Registered for my first tier 4 IDPA match

I just registered for my first major IDPA match. the comp-tac republic of texas state match is in may, and i have no idea what to expect.
Old February 17, 2016, 09:56 PM   #2
9x45

Don't overthink it, shoot at your level. Most big matches are mostly the same stuff you see at the local level, except for more props and nicely painted. Stay focused on the fundamentals, and you will do well. DVC.
Old February 17, 2016, 10:29 PM   #3
MrBorland

You'll likely see a few fancy jerseys too, but, as 9x45 indicates, stay focused, shoot your match, and have fun. And maybe put a snickers bar in your range bag - big matches can go a while, so you don't want to run out of "gas".
Old February 18, 2016, 12:09 AM   #4
AzShooter

Snickers, water and a good attitude. It's all for fun and when it isn't fun anymore stop doing it.

Good luck. Come home with a smile on your face.
Old February 18, 2016, 07:03 AM   #5
zincwarrior

Excellent. I am going to that one as well. I'll be the guy in the shoot me first vest and beard (which means everyone... ).

1. Youtube/google the 2013 (which was at the same place I believe), and 2014 versions. (the 2015 turned into a swamp). That will give you some info and also make you very excited to start.

2. The stages will be published a few weeks beforehand if you are interested.

3. It will be fun. There will be a lot of very good shooters. Don't get frustrated if your performance is merely normal. Some of these guys fly around and compete in majors all over the US. You'll see a bunch of sponsored guys like that (they look like NASCAR racers with all the emblems). Watch what they do and you can learn a lot.

4. Many of the scenarios will be both interesting, and different. In the 2013 one, they had a scenario where you were in a trash bin. You had to pop out, shoot a cup full of water (very nice in the afternoon when it was hot) and then shoot out the "lights" of a car parked in front. I think that was also the one where you were sitting in a van and had to shoot out several targets.

5. The important stuff. Bring lots of snacks, a chair, sunscreen, mosquito repellent (this is Houston, it may have been a wet year already at that point). Bring more rounds than you need. Potentially bring a poncho. they will have lunch and should have lots of water.

6. Help tape!

7. Keep the stage plans and blatantly steal them for your next local match.
Old February 18, 2016, 07:33 AM   #6
MrBorland

Just a suggestion to add to zincwarrior's excellent post: Regarding point #2, don't overanalyze the stages ahead of time based on what you read in the stage booklet.

For one thing, you risk getting overly nervous if you see something in it that "looks hard", and you'll bring that angst to the stage. That's never a good thing. For another, they're rarely exactly as described, so over-planning your match ahead of time can discombobulate you on match day. That's never a good thing, either. Many don't even look at the booklet for these very reasons.
Old February 18, 2016, 07:58 AM   #7
zincwarrior

You are very correct. I'll give them a look over when killing time waiting for something, but thats about it. Like every other stage, once you physically see it and have the walk through, you'll know what to do. If they get you nervous don't read them. If they make you giddy to start, then read them over and over.
Old February 18, 2016, 10:17 AM   #8
g.willikers

There's one very good reason to read the stage designs.
They can reveal something you might need to practice beforehand.
Things not normally needed at the local matches.
The higher tier matches do tend to be more elaborate.
Old February 18, 2016, 10:41 AM   #9
litenite99

these are all some good points.... I have never shot anything but our local matches, and i have only been shooting idpa for a year now so this is all new to me. Im pretty excited! I hope i can pick up on some useful tips from the pros.
Old February 18, 2016, 01:25 PM   #10
RickB

Agree on not spending much time with the stages in advance of the match, in terms of planning how to shoot the stage, but do pay attention to things like table starts, or dropping to prone, which could use some extra practice.
Old February 19, 2016, 06:11 PM   #11
1-DAB

two of our guys designed stages at last year's Worlds. we debugged them at the local matches in the months prior to the Worlds. someone asked about such big matches, and the reply was that at higher level matches they try to keep it simple, in that they don't load up on moving targets and steel targets, as they are not always reliable and uniform over the course of a long match. so they stick to simple stuff, static targets and points of cover.

stage 11 of that match was an exception, and ruined many people's match.

stages will be challenging, no doubt, but not impossible, remember, MM also shoot these matches, you have to give them a chance too.