The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 15, 2016, 11:36 AM   #1
litenite99

Shot my 2nd idpa classifier yesterday

So I have been shooting IDPA for right at a year now and shot my 2nd classifier yesterday. I shot 136.50 for ssp and esp. I have officially got a classification promotion to sharpshooter only problem is im officially up against the good guys lol. I think at this point I may need some actual instruction of some sort to progress anymore. anyone here have any suggestions? We have no one in our club that is of any higher classification that sharpshooter so thats out of the question..
Old February 15, 2016, 01:13 PM   #2
9x45

You have a good start and a long ways to go. Best way forward is to find an IDPA Master to take lessons from. Keep in mind though that the IDPA classifier is fixed, it never changes, so make sure you don't focus solely on that aspect. 30 seconds per stage is considered pretty good, but there are those that can run it into the low 50s. If you don't have have a local IDPA, check if they are any local USPSA Masters or GMs. It's all the same skill set.
Old February 15, 2016, 01:35 PM   #3
RickB

Make sure any USPSA "instructor" clearly understands the scoring differences between Unlimited and Hit Factor.
I've run more than a few USPSA Masters through the classifier who were on their way to a Marksman score until the scoring system was explained.
Old February 15, 2016, 01:45 PM   #4
9x45

Good shooters understand both scoring systems, but the value here is that the OP get lessons to move up. Rick, I suspect the USPSA hosers you ran thru it read the rule book and knew the scoring system, they just didn't want to "know" about it, wawawa, you didn't tell me it was straight time based or I would have shot it slower... yea right. Actually in the beginning of time, IDPA was 1/3 second down per point, but the math was too hard, and they thought guys were shooting it too fast, so 1/2 second down now, and they are going to 1 second down per point next.

Last edited by 9x45; February 15, 2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old February 15, 2016, 01:46 PM   #5
litenite99

you both make good points. we have two uspsa clubs local here in louisiana ill have to check them out and see. I have always intended on shooting both i just didnt want to get myself to confused with rules at first.
Old February 15, 2016, 03:39 PM   #6
9x45

OP, LA is a shooter rich area. Jerry Miculek lives near Princeton. And I'm pretty sure Blake Miguez is from LA also. Check USPSA.com club locator.
Old February 15, 2016, 06:15 PM   #7
1-DAB

well done.

shaving 20+ seconds off that will take some work. look at your slowest strings for savings to be chased first, likely stage 3.
Old February 15, 2016, 07:37 PM   #8
litenite99

9x45 i looked around earlier after reading your post blake miguez apparently is listed as an instructor at max michel training. Jerry miculek has a website but nothing about any instruction. im sure any of those guys could give some very useful instruction. 1-dab.... it was stage 3 that cost me all my time. I cut my time in half on stage 1 and did well on stage 2, but stage 3 was almost to the second the same as my 1st time shooting the classifier.
Old February 16, 2016, 02:37 AM   #9
AzShooter

The biggest help is to learn to shoot all A-zone hits and don't worry about speed. Speed with eventually come but accuracy takes time and practice.

Go to You Tube and check out IDPA and you will get tons of information on how to improve.
Old February 16, 2016, 11:01 AM   #10
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by litenite99
blake miguez apparently is listed as an instructor at max michel training. Jerry miculek has a website but nothing about any instruction. im sure any of those guys could give some very useful instruction.
Getting either of those would be nice, but not necessary. The suggestion to get a good & experienced shooter to work with you is a good one, but you don't need a famous top gun to get a lot of benefit. Keep your eyes and ears open at your local matches, and even ask around a bit. You'll likely find there's at least one guy who's highly recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by litenite99
it was stage 3 that cost me all my time.
Generally, stage 3 is where most time is lost. Reigning in your Points Down on stage 3 is crucial. Treat it like a bullseye match if you have to.
Old February 16, 2016, 06:04 PM   #11
1-DAB

yep, stage 3 is where you make your money. i shot a practice last week, 60 seconds, again. actually, 61.75, including down 23 (added 11.50 seconds). about average for me currently. missed T1 twice, that cost me big.
Old February 16, 2016, 07:27 PM   #12
9x45

OP, as Mr. Borland said you don't need the top top guns, there are many Master s and Grand Masters at local matches, it's just I happen know those guys and have shot with them before. They would be a good contact because the competition shooting world is really not so big.