The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 24, 2014, 01:22 PM   #1
Hunter Customs

Long Range Coyote Shooting

I just watched a video of two fellas shooting a coyote at 1860 yards away.

One shooter was using a 300 Winchester mag shooting 208 grain Amax bullets, the other was using a 338 Lapua shooting 300 gr Berger bullets.

The shooter using the 338 Lapua was just short but the shooter using the 300 mag drilled him.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old May 24, 2014, 01:42 PM   #2
MarkCO

That is a long ways. I have shot coyotes at a long distance of 1100 yards. Finding them that far off is the biggest trick.

I was elk hunting and had just left the timber and was walking through a sage flat when a shepherd whooped. I looked over at him, about 500 yards off, and he was waving his arms and pointing. I looked to my right and I saw a Coyote making tracks. I instinctively swung, flicked the .30-06 off safe, tracked, got a lead and holdover and fired one round. I racked another one in and started to scan for it...nothing. I heard the shepherd laughing his head off and looked at him again. He was clapping and yelling and jumping up and down. I started off in the direction of the Coyote. When I got to about where I had shot at him, I looked at the shepherd and he waved for me to go further. About 30 yards further, I saw a few patches of hair in the sage and then a brown and red skidmark about 15 feet long with a piled up coyote at the end. Left back rib entry and exited right at the back of the right shoulder...350 yards, offhand at a full run coyote. It was before videotaping was all the rage, but if I had it on film, people would still be watching it. I doubt I could repeat that lucky shot. Shepherd thought it was the best thing he ever saw. Granted he lived in a small wagon in the middle of nowhere.
Old May 24, 2014, 10:12 PM   #3
Scorch

I built a 22-6mm for a customer a couple of years ago. Last year I spoke with him and he told me of his 920+/- yds shot on a coyote out in a playa in eastern Oregon. Figured out the dope, fired one shot. That's a long ways.
Old May 24, 2014, 10:21 PM   #4
Mobuck

They don't stand around waiting to be shot where I'm looking for them.
Old May 25, 2014, 07:45 AM   #5
Picher

Wow! Impressive shots!

My longest on a woodchuck was 500 yards, but he was lying down, only showing about 1/3 of his body. For the first shot, he was standing on top of his newly-refreshed side-hill mound, but I missed about a foot low and a little to the right. The next one did him in.

I was shooting a first-year production, Savage 110 with a Bishop stock that I hand-carved to mimic a Weatherby MK 5. There was no range-finder available, back in 1961, and I was using 150 grain Rem. Bronze Point handloads. The scope was a 2.5X Weaver.

The next week, I killed a skunk that was walking around, a little farther away in the same field. One shot, one kill.

Not bad for practice with my new-ish deer rifle, but it doesn't seem as difficult as the shots described by others these days.
Old May 26, 2014, 02:10 PM   #6
CC268

Good grief you guys must be the best shots in the country! I can't imagine hitting a coyote past 300 yards...400 if I am lucky.
Old May 26, 2014, 08:03 PM   #7
MarkCO

I did say my shot was lucky. I have shot animals at long range, but that snap shot just happened to be the jerking of the trigger and getting a lucky hit.
Old May 27, 2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Picher

I've had some very lucky shots in my day, but not ashamed to admit that many shots at long range have been misses. I don't shoot at game beyond "clean kill" range, but will stretch the range when shooting at varmints.

I take no pity on steel animal targets, however. They need shooting at any range and from any position!!! LOL
Old May 30, 2014, 08:13 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

My longest shot on a coyote to date is just over 600 yards.

I have an older heavy barrel Remington 700 in 243 caliber that I load 95 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets at about 3200 fps, it's my longer range coyote gun.

I have the rifle zeroed at 300 yards so shots out to 600 yards is not that difficult; 600 yards is about the maximum safe shot around here.

There's some sections you can see them farther but the grounds to flat and most of the hedge rows have been ripped out by the land rappers, our sections have roads around all four sides.

I'll have to say 1860 yards on a coyote is some darn good shooting, even a big coyote is not all that big at that distance.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old June 4, 2014, 02:56 PM   #10
Unlicensed Dremel

Are those the two Canadian gents? If they're the ones I'm thinking of, in one vid, they both hit the yote at the same time, firing at the same moment - IIRC, it was well over 900 yards.... seems to me that one used a .243 win and one used a .338 lapua.
Old June 6, 2014, 07:37 AM   #11
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Are those the two Canadian gents?
I don't know if they are Canadian but they go by "Dartman and his neighbor".

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com