The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 16, 2012, 08:29 PM   #1
Method

Adjustable Butt Plate for a Shotgun

Question on an adjustable butt-plate. I recently had one installed on my competition gun. All advertisements for this type of plate say it can be moved up to 1.5" up or down. Here's my problem. As installed, I can only move it down 0.5" right now. There's no manual I can find anywhere, so I'm coming to the forums.

Please reference the attached picture for references. Right now, with both screws in, I can only move the plate down the length of the green line. However, if I remove the top screw (black arrow points to it), I can then move the plate down a full 1.5" like I need.

Is this right? If I do it this way, then the sliding plate will be secured with only one screw. I had it this way for a shoot this past weekend, but the plate came loose by the fourth box. I was going to drill a small hole in the pad so I can tighten the plate in the field.

I'm looking for help or direction to a good set of instructions. The intuitive answer just seems off to me.

Thanks.

PS - Admin...I apologize if this is better posted in the accessories forum. I figured I'm focused on shogun applications and would try this forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Butt-Plate.jpg (44.9 KB, 101 views)
Old September 17, 2012, 01:49 PM   #2
g.willikers

It sounds like the screw holes weren't drilled quite right.
One is a little off from the other, causing the bind.
The new apprentice must have done that one.
Old September 17, 2012, 02:27 PM   #3
BigJimP

Which mfg made the product ? It doesn't quite look like the one's I have on my guns ??

http://graco-corp.com/products/adjustable-butt-plate

If its a Graco ...all you have to do is call them and talk to them...
Old September 17, 2012, 11:49 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

It looks to me like the Stock Positoning Systems unit, which to me looks like a Graco "Adjustable Butt Plate" (not to be confused with an "Adjustable Pad Plate" used on the "Gracoil System"), but I know nada about either, except that I considered getting one. http://stockpositioning.com/products.htm I don't see any istructions on either company site, but as designed I see why you would have to remve the top screw. Like Jim said, call whoever's product it is who you got it from. I don't think it is defective, unless the screws don't torque. I bet they will suggest blue loc-tite if you have to remove the upper screw. Let us know what happens as I am interested in the same unit.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; September 17, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old September 18, 2012, 12:21 AM   #5
Method

KlawMan et al,

It is indeed a Stock Positioning System unit. I plan to give them a call in the next couple of days and will ask. When done, I'll be sure to post the result here and give a couple of actual photos of the final positioning.

The good news is that, using the plate adjusted maximum low, my shooting improved and I hit a personal best 90/100 in 12ga this weekend. The disappointing thing is that another guy in my class managed a 92...and I was only one shot away from a perfect round. Still though...much better than my 82 average in a shoot just a couple weeks ago.
Old September 18, 2012, 11:34 AM   #6
BigJimP

good luck with it.....hope it works out.
Old September 18, 2012, 12:24 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

Thanks, Method. Looking forward to hearing what they say.
Old September 25, 2012, 03:04 PM   #8
Method

Called SPS today (they have an e-mail but the website states they prefer to talk directly to their customers). It appears that my understanding of the system is correct and to move the pad-plate down fully means adjusting the screws so that the top screw is out and the system is secured by the bottom screw.

The competitive shooting season in Nebraska is pretty much at a close, so I won't get a chance to really put this thing through the endurance test until next year.

One note though...the pad plate on this is not field adjustable. In other words, you have to remove the pad in order to get to the screws to adjust the pad plate. This can be a problem if anything comes loose during a competition. I created a work around however. Since I want the pad plate in the fully down position, I always know where it should be along the pad. So I used my Dremmel tool to drill a small hole through the pad. Now I can just insert a 1/8" t-wrench to tighten or loosen the pad plate. This allows tightening in the field, and it allows me to continue using fitted cases.

I'm happy with the product overall (heck, shot personal bests with it the first time out). However, based on feedback from other shooters I will probably go with Country Gentleman should I need custom work done on future competition guns (http://www.gunfitter.com/).
Old September 25, 2012, 08:44 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

Thanks for getting back to us about that, Method, and glad it worked out. I thought from the pictures you had it figured right but I have been known to be wrong (rarely).
Old July 13, 2014, 04:15 PM   #10
Dreaming100Straight

This Old Thread

I know this is an ancient thread, but does anyone know if the actual Graco unit allows for a maximum 1-1/2" drop without removing one of the two screws as the OP had to do with his similar Stock Positioning System unit? Jim?
Old July 14, 2014, 11:36 AM   #11
BigJimP

No, I'm not sure..../ but I think its 1 1/2" of total adjustment....
Old July 14, 2014, 05:54 PM   #12
Dreaming100Straight

I think you are correct, BJP.
Old July 15, 2014, 12:31 PM   #13
BigJimP

( I could take my XT apart...and check it....but I don't feel like it ...) ....

Its a nice day ...I have to go kill some Skeets.../ and maybe some paper at the indoor range, if it gets too hot out ....
Old July 15, 2014, 02:20 PM   #14
A400 Fan

Quote:
I have to go kill some Skeets
Jim, you of ALL people.........
Old July 15, 2014, 04:38 PM   #15
Dreaming100Straight

Skeet MURDERER!!!!! And you pretend to be sensitive. Me, I spent an hour messing with my comb's adjustment and believe it will almost cut true if set all the way to the right. It will be interesting to see if increasing drop at heel affects left-right placement.

Tomorrow, I attack the trapped birdies!! I should probably help stamp out the skeet invasion. Shooting skeet doubles speeds me up on trap.
Old July 15, 2014, 06:29 PM   #16
BigJimP

Hey someone has to do it ....