The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 8, 2008, 11:07 PM   #26
RAHatto

I have a bit to add

I am 5'11 and at the time I was 205lbs. I have a L5 S1 that needs to be replaced and Degenerating Disk Disease 1 up and top piece of pelvics below. L5 S1 does not show up on X-ray at all. I take 10 pills a day for muscle and nerve pain.
I have a Remington 870 Super Magnum with a Knoxx SpecOps stock and it destroys recoil. I went thru 50x 2 3/4 clay pigeon rounds. Then I shot 4x 3 1/2 in double buck rounds all standing. While there was a big difference my hand to god it was not a hard or violent recoil. I was grinning ear to ear after I shot them and there was nothing close to pain or hard recoil. I was truly amazed.
Having said that proper length of pull is critical for any firearm to avoid excessive twist/back fatigue after shooting while standing (bonus for Knoxx Stock).
Also look for a stock that brings the top of the stock as close to parallel with the top of the receiver/barrel to allow the stock to avoid most of the recoil and reducing muzzle rise and jerking motions that can also ruin the night after a day at the range. Thats what I know works because it works for me.
Old January 9, 2008, 02:16 AM   #27
Sgt.Fathead

All Dancing

When I went to School of Infantry West (SOI/W) out at Camp Pendleton, CA, long ago, grunts with the weapons specialty 0331, Machine Gunner (Me!) were given a lot of trigger time on slam fire/compromised disconnect Remington 870s and the M1911A1 pistol as these were the secondary weapons of our MOS. Our instructor for the shotgun portion of the training was a good natured but demanding Staff Sgt. from Alabama. One of his favorite expressions was that,

"All combat is like dancing. Now, who's gonna' lead?"

In this strange way he taught we green Privates and PFCs the proper way to mount the shotgun and cycle it well, smooth and quick. As a young Marine, 18 years old and stripped raw from boot camp, all of 5'8" and 140 pounds, I'd put several dozen rounds of 2-3/4" 00 Buck downrange weekly. It really was in how one mounted and held the gun. One of his greatest lessons was to bear the fore end away from the shooting hand when firing, work the action with authority, hard to the rear and back to that stance, the fore end almost pushed towards the target.

Today, older, heavier, still as short, a bit worn around the edges, I still take great pleasure in literally hosing a target with quick, repeated blasts of 12g 00 Buck and slugs. It's almost one of my party tricks so to speak.

Recoil is your friend, it means the sucker fired!