The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 22, 2007, 05:17 PM   #1
GASCHECK

Crisco Again

Shooters.
I have been using Crisco . .(no wait, even cheaper store brand shortening) . . in my Old Army for about seven years. No leading, no chain fires. However, I use a H&G conical bullet cast from range scrap. A round ball has a very thin area of contact with the cylinder wall, so maybe the flash would have a better chance of getting around that. I shoot 40 grains of Pyrodex and a wad would allow less room for powder. Need all the power I can get for those nasty, ferocious bowling pins!

Gascheck
Old October 22, 2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Raider2000

Actually 90% of the time the chain fire issue comes from the cap area from where a cap in an adjacent chamber being a slight loose fit allowing the spark or flame from the firing chamber to touch off the load in that &/or other chambers.

I've demonstrated to a few how a man would load his Colt "or a Remington without a spare loaded cylinder" under fire in which there is no time for grease over the chambers & I've only had 1 chain fire doing that, but I've also had 1-2 with the chambers greased.
Old October 22, 2007, 07:54 PM   #3
GASCHECK

Raider:

What was the final result of the chain fire as far as damage or injury?

Gascheck
Old October 22, 2007, 09:28 PM   #4
mykeal

Quote:
Need all the power I can get for those nasty, ferocious bowling pins!
Get a Walker. I get a big audience every time I use mine on the pins.
Old October 22, 2007, 10:02 PM   #5
GASCHECK

Mykeal:

When they get too nasty, I use my Ruger Super!

Gascheck
Old October 22, 2007, 11:18 PM   #6
tn gun runner

been shooting bp rev since 1968 and used crisco and never had a chain fire yet.. and it keeps the fouling soft and no leading.. I like 25% beeswax, 25% alox, and 50% blue & gray[dixlie gun] when I shoot a match, I can shoot longer without cleaning
Old October 23, 2007, 04:37 AM   #7
Raider2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASCHECK
Raider:

What was the final result of the chain fire as far as damage or injury?

Gascheck
The chain fires that I've had only involved 1 chamber "the next one in line go figure " & it has only done it on my Smith Mountain 1851 Navy & so far I've never had any injuries "mostly because I a stickler in safety" & only had a major leading issue on the left side of the barrel.
After roughly 1500 shots through her she is still a great shooter with only a slight sign of age.