The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 6, 2017, 09:59 PM   #26
kmw1954

Seems the answer is to continue as I am.

Metal god, you having a bad evening?
Old December 6, 2017, 10:33 PM   #27
Metal god

Hey guy that was not to be mean . There were/are multiple posts with very good suggestions . The fact you had to come back twice to narrow the question that had already been answered says something . Maybe look in before lashing out .

Sorry if I hurt your feelings that was never the intent .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 6, 2017, 11:42 PM   #28
kmw1954

It can mean whatever you want. But it did come across as condescending. Next I look and see many more answers that have nothing to do with the question than answers that do. My mistake I guess the answer was simpler than I expected.
Old December 6, 2017, 11:59 PM   #29
Chainsaw.

I use the cheap plastic boxes, I put on BOTH a sticker and write on tge box with a sharpy with all the load info, primer type, powder, grains of powder, grains of projectile, type projectile, lubed-PCed-gas checked-etc, and an idea of what kind of load it is, bunny farts, plinkers, medium load, full mags or just simply "OUCH"
Old December 7, 2017, 12:25 PM   #30
jamaica

Who needs labels? Go shoot them.
Old December 7, 2017, 03:57 PM   #31
hounddawg

Another masking tape fan here. Typical date loaded/bullet/powder and powder quantity, OAL. When I have more than 1 rifle in that caliber I add whether the case was neck sized neck sized and for which rifle or FL sized
Old December 7, 2017, 06:40 PM   #32
308Loader

Ok, in re-reading the thread I see that I didn't see your OP correctly. How dose one label +/- powder drops correctly? In my opinion one would first need to weigh and measure all of the other components, case, bullet, powder, and primer. Inconsistency's of each of the component noted and averaged out. you might find that +.1/-.1 isn't a big deal.

I would note the powder drop used and anything specific to that drop.

If you are dropping, then weighing powder charges. Trickle up to an exact weight as best as your scale can do.

If you are setting up a turret or progressive, I think you would look for a 20ct average +/- and call it a target weight so long as it is within safe load configurations. I would label box as such.

my 2cents

Last edited by 308Loader; December 7, 2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old December 7, 2017, 11:31 PM   #33
Metal god

So I've put even more thought to this and agree with others that say put the intended charge weight down . Reason being is if they sit for awhile ( months or years ) When you come back to them you know what the charge "should" be . I often just use the box of loaded ammo as my guide do to the large amount of info I log on each box .

Keeping all that in mind , Let's say you are willing to except +/- .1gr and you are consistently throwing +.1gr and you then write 4.2gr instead of 4.1gr on the box . Now months later you look at the box to load more and you see 4.2gr . Well now you load to 4.2gr because that's what it says the load is but you really wanted 4.1gr . But wait , Remember you are excepting +/- .1gr and lets say this time you are throwing 4.3gr consistently . No big deal right you're only .1gr above what's on the box , right ??? no now you're .2gr above the original intended charge .

So as I stated in my first post note what the intended charge is supposed to be and if it's +.2gr or more note that as well . Now I don't use my Auto disc much but I think your idea of noting the disc and cavity you used is a good idea as well . This way instead of having to look at the chart for the disc that's best for that powder charge . It's already noted as well .

I do write a lot on my loaded ammo cards/boxes and really don't need to because I can look at that same info up in my load data binders I keep that has even more data for each load . How ever as I stated earlier I often use the data on my ammo boxes to load the next rounds . I should add that I'm a low round count loader usually not more then 100 at a time . I use a single stage for all rifle loads and a Lee classic turret press for all hand gun loads so I don't really have the ability to crank out hundreds at a time , well really the time I tend to only spend an hour or so at a time at the bench . Rarely more then two hours .

I realized I had not explained in detail why I gave the answers I did earlier , Hope that helped .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 8, 2017, 12:24 AM   #34
kmw1954

Metal god I think we are both feeling better tonight! What you state here in your last post makes a lot of sense and more or less reinforces what I've been doing.

For all that have replied. I do keep a load notebook that records every load I make with details of every component used. Even the general measurements of the length, diameter, actual weight. Along with case head stamp. If over the course of the load development I change OAL that too is noted and if it is a large change I start a new load entry. For each load there is also space for notes as to how it performed and overall impression.

For the record I do not load rifle calibers.

The question I have been asking myself is about marking the powder charge and since I load most everything with the Lee Auto disk measure using the fixed disks there is no adjusting it. What you get is it. So for now I have been marking the disk cavity number and the weight that I've been getting with that disk. So I guess I've been asking myself if all that information is really needed to be on each box. The info printed and kept with each load is so that I know what is in each box as to cal., bullet weight and about how hot it is. Whether it is a light target load, a medium target load or a hot and heavy load.

As far as sharing loads, I try not to as it could be an unsafe practice. What works well in my guns may not work in others of course. So if I do have to relay all load data to someone else I understand telling them #40 cavity on the Lee Disk isn't going to help anyone unless they were of course using my disks.

So I really do thank everyone for their input and time, though all the extras about making labels, what to include on the label and so forth. The question was meant to be pretty specific about a certain part of the label as simple as that was.

So thank you all again, I believe the question has been answered by a few good members.
Old December 8, 2017, 01:32 AM   #35
Metal god

kmw1954 , I recommend you consider getting the Lee auto drum . The reason I don't use my Lee auto disc is because the discs NEVER threw the charge I wanted . During load development I weigh out each charge on a beam scale while also using check weights to be sure I'm actually getting the intended charges .

When doing so I'd come up with some very good , consistent and accurate loads . How ever when it came to cranking them out on my LCT press . The auto disc never was able to throw the charge I wanted . So I went to the lee auto drum which allows you to charge to any weight regardless of powder or cartridge .

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...nt=100-018-937

I also later went to the charging bar instead of the discs in the Lee pro auto disc which also allows you to charge to "pretty much" any handgun charge . It's not large enough for rifle loads really
https://www.amazon.com/Lee-Precision...lee+charge+bar

Forgive me if you are not using Lee products but if you are either one of these will allow you to consistently charge to the weight you actually want and not break the bank . If you are using the Lee auto disc , getting the charge bar help my reloading a lot and it's only like $11 . win win

Old December 8, 2017, 04:24 AM   #36
kmw1954

Right now I have 3 Lee powder measures, 2 Auto Disk and 1 Auto Drum. In the time I've owned the Drum I've had to send it back twice already and both times they pretty much replaced every part in it. I have used it with both my 9mm and 380 loads on both an old 3 hole turret press and a Pro 1000 progressive. With the HP-38, AA#5 and the Ramshot Silhouette powders I've gotten very consistent drops with both types of measures. By that I mean I can hold 0.1gr of my target weight when checked on my beam scale. Which I think is pretty consistent for a volume measure.

So with having sent it back twice I've kind of lost confidence in the Drum which is a shame because I do like it. On my Christmas list is an upgrade kit for my Disk measure. So far I've been fortunate in that the charges I'm using I've been able to get 3 levels other than for the 380 which I'm only getting 2 at best.

I am not Bullseye shooting so I feel I can live with the 0.1gr fluctuation in powder charge as even when I load that on purpose I cannot tell the difference in performance or feel..
Old December 8, 2017, 09:54 PM   #37
disseminator

I used the MTM labels but soon tired of the fact that they stick too much and are a pain to remove and replace. I switched to using a label machine.

This one: https://www.amazon.com/Brother-P-Tou.../dp/B013DG2FNW

The labels are professional looking, easy to remove and replace but stay put until you are ready to replace them. As for how much information, for me it depends on what it is but I keep detailed records of my loads so sometimes I just put the minimum on the label with a reference number that gives the full data in my log book.

I have been very happy with this method.
Old December 9, 2017, 09:13 AM   #38
Guggmeister

I only put the lot number on the label. All other data is kept in a spreadsheet accessible from phone/pad/puter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old December 11, 2017, 06:15 AM   #39
jetinteriorguy

When using the auto disc, I just throw 10 charges and then put the average on the label. That being said, I haven't used mine in a long time, I'm all Auto Drum these days except for rifle stuff. For precision rifle I throw short with the PPM and trickle up for developing a load. Once I've developed a load I set my Lyman 55 and forget it. For rifle plinking I use the Lee PPM with an adapter on the turret.
Old December 11, 2017, 06:27 AM   #40
Kevin Rohrer

I use a label maker:

Bullet weight and name
Powder weight and name

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old December 11, 2017, 08:08 AM   #41
cptjack

use to use the index card on to of cover with the different loads ,till one day I knocked it over and didn't know what was what ,,now I mark ,with a fine sharpie the load amt on cartridge ,example 42.4 .on cover I would mark 4064
Old December 11, 2017, 09:58 AM   #42
walnut1704

I went to Avery.com and made up my own label, and printed them up on Avery 58163 labels. These have removable adhesive so they don't mess up your boxes. You can export your design to a PDF on your hard drive. When done, I'll peel the label off the box and paste it in a notebook, with notes.

Mine look like...
Attached Images
File Type: png screenshot- 2017-12-11 08-52-15-129.png (21.1 KB, 22 views)
Old December 11, 2017, 10:46 AM   #43
FITASC

A piece of an index card with powder and amount and what bullet. I only use one type of pistol primer; it's kinda obvious when you look into the box whether it is 9mm, 38, 357, or 45. Works for me.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 11, 2017, 11:42 AM   #44
jamaica

Quote: "Looking to see how everyone else does it.
I do have a printed label tat I put inside my reload boxes that is pretty standard with Date, cal., powder type, powder weight, bullet type and weight, primer and OAL."

I am with you. My label lists, date, bullet, primer and powder.
Old December 11, 2017, 02:07 PM   #45
kmw1954

The actual label I use, which isn't the issue, is made from a Spread Sheet and printed on card stock in a lazar printer and cut to fit the inside of a Berry's plastic ammo box. No adhesive, no tape. They fit in with friction. Print is big enough to read thru the plastic, Very easy to change out. I also have these Berry's ammo boxed in 4 colors so I do color code them a bit also.
Old December 13, 2017, 12:14 PM   #46
hdbiker

Masking tape and a red sharpie. Peels off easy when you reload that box. I WILL SAY THIS, the biggest mistake I've made in reloading over the years, ( started in 1972) is NOT KEEPING GOOD RECORDS. As I get older I just can't remember all my pet loads anymore . hdbiker

Last edited by hdbiker; December 13, 2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old December 15, 2017, 10:31 PM   #47
jamaica

Labeling reloads? I put bullet type and weight. Primer type, and Powder type and weight. You can see what the brass is.
Old December 16, 2017, 09:12 AM   #48
Smoke & Recoil

I do not HOTROD my loads, I load for fun, so I only mark my containers
as the caliber. It gives me peace of mind knowing that my kids, grandkids and
great-grandkids, etc, can shoot them safely in the future. This method works
for me...mark as caliber only.
Old December 16, 2017, 01:55 PM   #49
Metal god

Putting more thought to this This goes to the disc type powder measures because they should in theory ALWAYS throw the same charge weight of powder because the volume of the cavity never changes . I got to think about something Unclenick and others have brought up in the past . That is the density of the powder and how that changes from time to time do to moisture/humidity causing the powder to change in weight .

There has been multiple instances or people leaving there powder measure set the same for a particular powder they throw all the time . How ever it does not always throw the same weighted charge . One day or even for weeks it throws a consistent charge then one day it starts throwing heavier or lighter charges and yet nothing has changed . Same powder , same setting on the powder measure that has not been moved .

So why has it changed and does that effect "volume" of powder ??? Just because it weighs more does it mean you actually have more powder thrown ??? Does more weight always mean more powder ???

My point to this to bring it back to the original question in the OP is if you have a fixed powder reservoir can you expect the same volume of powder each time over a looooong period of time ( lets say a small ball powder for this example ) . If it does change do to humidity ( which I believe it does ) does that change the volume allowed in to the reservoir resulting in higher or lower pressures ? ( just making numbers up ) Example- lets say the reservoir holds 1000 kernels of powder and when dry that weighs 10gr . Now that same 1000 kernels after absorbing some moisture now weighs 10.5gr .

1) does that 10.5gr still fit in that same fixed reservoir ?

2) does that new 10.5gr of powder still act like it's only 10gr when fired ??

Old December 16, 2017, 07:56 PM   #50
kmw1954

Guess this goes back to my original question, volume vs. weight vs. consistency. Whether it be with dippers or a fixed disk the volume/weight can only change with the consistency of the powder granules. For instance I have found the granule size has been very uniform with both the AA#5 and the Ramshot while the HP=38 granule size varied.

So with the HP-38 I am consistently getting charges that can vary buy 0.01gr over the course of 50 drops. I attribute this to the powder and not to the measure or the procedure used. Granted, 0.1gr isn't much when the target is 20.0gr but when the target is only 3.0gr then 0.1gr is a much higher percentage.

Being as stated that the volume of the disk or dipper cannot change without a change in the powder, because of inconsistent granule size and how it fills the space, moisture, static electricity or whatever.

The question again seeing as this thread is continuing is simple and specific.

When the charge weight is inconsistent how would you mark the weight? The low weight, high weight or as it to me is just a reference point mark the Disk cavity or dipper size?

At present I am leaning towards marking the Disk cavity because that is a constant that will not change and is well within the parameters that I am looking for regardless of the actual weight.