The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 21, 2017, 09:27 PM   #1
HighValleyRanch

My wife finally wants a gun! Ruger Bearcat

I've never been able to get my wife interested. She shot my glock 19 years and years ago, and the noise and blast scared her so much she left the range.

Then we tried .22 rifle, but she is left eye dominant, so could not hold the rifle comfortable.

More recently I gave her a Smith model 17. But the single action on it was so light, she had a couple of scares where the gun went off before she was ready. So she just about gave up.

A week ago, I was selling my HK P2000sk on a forum, and a guy offers me a stainless Ruger Bearcat with some cash for it. At first I thought I don't need it, but then I thought, maybe I could see if my wife was interested.

I showed it to her, and explained that it was simple to operate, and even found a youtube video with alaska granny where she talks about how much she loved the Bearcat, and to my amazement, she said she wanted one!!

So tomorrow we are going to do the trade and she is excited about HER NEW GUN! Never thought the day would come when I could be saying that. If it has to be a single action .22 that gets her excited and into shooting, so be It!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0493_4.jpg (174.3 KB, 831 views)
Old November 21, 2017, 10:29 PM   #2
fourbore

if it is not too late, they made a version with adjustable sights. That would be much more precise to aim and obviously adjust POI.
Old November 21, 2017, 11:05 PM   #3
JWT

Great little guns. Should be perfect for her.
Old November 21, 2017, 11:06 PM   #4
JWT

deleted
Old November 22, 2017, 06:42 AM   #5
CajunBass

If she's excited about it, get it. They're great little guns. I never had any trouble hitting what I shot at with mine, well except for squirrels. I did scare a few of them though.

When I lived out in the country, I had mine on my hip constantly. Ruger sells a great little holster for them. In that holster, they can only be described as "cute."
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old November 22, 2017, 07:53 AM   #6
Buckeye!

A buddy of mine has had one for years... He keeps it in his back pocket while knocking around the woods , camping , hiking and huntin ginseng ...
Old November 22, 2017, 09:03 AM   #7
Wyosmith

Good reliable little guns.
now, if you can fins some and can afford it, buy her about 2 CASES of ammo, (yup, 10,000 rounds)so she can shoot a lot at any time. Shooting is addictive, especially as you get better and better. Hits are a lot more fun then misses. LOTS of ammo to start out with is the #1 thing that gets new shooters deeply into the gun culture
Old November 22, 2017, 10:47 AM   #8
Carmady

This video shows how well some HP's expand when fired from a Bearcat (and 21A).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9IyhODkbig
Old November 22, 2017, 10:53 AM   #9
rclark

When my wife goes with me to the range ... along comes the Bearcat. It is her favorite revolver to shoot too.

I am left eye dominant (and left handed) and never found it a problem shooting the rifles. Lever or bolt.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 22, 2017, 11:03 AM   #10
HighValleyRanch

rclark, she's right handed but left eye dominant, so she was trying to hold the rifle right handed.
Old November 22, 2017, 04:25 PM   #11
HighValleyRanch

well, we met at the dealers to do the trade and mutual transfers. My wife held the Bearcat and fell in love with it!

But because of California's BS liberal laws we have the ten day cooling off perior, even if you have a CCW and already own 20 or more firearms. I guess they figure you might want to fly off the handle with the new gun! STUPID BS LAWS!

Oh well, now my wife can feel what I've had to go through all these years!LOL
10 days can seem a long time!
Old November 25, 2017, 08:37 AM   #12
arquebus357

The Bearcat is a little sweetheart. All Ruger single actions should be designed like the Bearcat. Unlike the nightmarish disassembly and reassembly procedure of Ruger's other single actions, the Bearcat procedure can be accomplished by normal people. I also like the half cock cylinder loading and unloading procedure. Just like the original Colts.

Old November 25, 2017, 01:43 PM   #13
Seven High

Does your wife have small hands? Bearcats have small grips.
Old November 25, 2017, 02:29 PM   #14
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
Does your wife have small hands? Bearcats have small grips.
Yep, when she held it, it fit perfectly! If not, I can make larger size grips for it.
Old November 25, 2017, 02:34 PM   #15
Glenn E. Meyer

I love mine and use it for new folks if I take them out for the first shots.
Old November 25, 2017, 03:14 PM   #16
JohnKSa
Staff

My wife hates revolvers and won't shoot them. With one exception...

A few years back she decided she wanted a Bearcat.
Old November 25, 2017, 03:29 PM   #17
HighValleyRanch

If that trade had been the new Bearcat Shopkeeper model, I would have kept it for myself!
Old November 25, 2017, 10:33 PM   #18
bedbugbilly

A few years back, I bought a nice vintage Super Bearcat. It's the only one I can get my wife to shoot - she refers to it as her "pop pop"bun. Good size for a woman or guy with smaller hands, reliable and fun to shoot. Congrats to you wife for finding something SHE likes and I hope sh really enjoys it! :-)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 27, 2017, 12:53 PM   #19
deserted

Great little guns. Bought my first one in 1969, another in the 90s, and one of the Lipsy specials with adjustable sights a couple years ago. Looks like a mini Super Blackhawk with adj. sights. I don't know why they didn't do that decades ago.
Old November 28, 2017, 07:39 AM   #20
Real Gun

Quote:
she's right handed but left eye dominant, so she was trying to hold the rifle right handed.
I am left eye dominant too, when shooting a hand gun, but shoot a rifle with my right eye, no problem. It's not like we're blind in one eye. We just have to practice until it becomes natural.
Old November 29, 2017, 05:13 PM   #21
TailGator

I'm trying to convince my wife that she wants a Bearcat for Christmas.
Old November 29, 2017, 06:56 PM   #22
HighValleyRanch

show her this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRgBGR9ec-k

It convinced my wife!
Old November 30, 2017, 03:45 AM   #23
drbill

Nice little guns. Never owned one but shot one several times in the 1970's-1980's when elk hunting in the Bob Marshall Wilderness area. Legendary Montana outfitter Howard Copenhaver always carried his in a shoulder holster.
Old December 8, 2017, 07:43 PM   #24
Mike1

If you or she has not removed the cylinder for cleaning yet, make sure you note where the notches are lined up, so you can get it back together with no effort.

Mike
Old December 10, 2017, 12:02 AM   #25
Doc Holliday 1950

Welcome to The Club. Mrs. Doc went almost the same a couple
of months ago except she had her LCR 357 in magnum & hated
it. Finally got her to try out a
SA 22. Now she even carries it!
Happy Wife, Happy Life. Congratulations.

Doc