The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 2016, 03:20 PM   #1
laguna0seca

Tube range Chrono?

First real post here, aside from the intro post.

Anyway, I do my initial load development in an indoor rifle range that uses a 3-4' sewer culvert as the lane. It is 100yards long.

My chrono does not work in this environment, I think due to the poor lighting, plus it is rather difficult to set up, because I have to crawl down this culvert and awkwardly place a tripod on a round surface.

I have been looking at the magnetospeed chronos as a solution. My muzzle device looks to be a bit too long for the sporter so I will be forced to get the V3.

My question is, does anyone have any experience using this type of chrono in this type of environment? It is quite a bit more expensive than the Caldwell I have. So I don't want to be buying it without knowing if it will have problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 13, 2016, 10:55 PM   #2
burrhead

My shooting partner has been using one for about a year now and I've borrowed it from time to time when the light's not working for mine. We both like it. He's thinking about going to a doppler chrono and, if he does, I've told him I'll buy the magneto from him.

Very simple setup and no worries about the ambient light. Having the sending unit hanging off the barrel will alter the POI so be aware. The kit has adapters for mounting it on conventional rifles and ARs.

BTW, welcome to TFL. Hope you stay a while.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.

Last edited by burrhead; December 14, 2016 at 12:37 AM.
Old December 14, 2016, 11:11 AM   #3
laguna0seca

Thanks for the response, I think I will pick one up, Cabelas has a sale on the RCBS Chargemaster combo ($300 plus rebate) so if they have one in stock I will grab it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk