The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 2, 2020, 04:42 PM   #1
Willie Lowman

de-banning a MAK 90

I just found an unfired Norinco MAC 90.

I intend to do away with the thumb hole stock asap.

I was looking at the Ironwood Designs Type 56 stocks made for the MAK.

Anyone have firsthand experience with these stocks? Or other replacements for the factory thumb hole stocks?
Old September 2, 2020, 11:53 PM   #2
50 shooter

There's a lot out there, you have to decide if you want wood or a glass filled nylon stock.

After that it just comes down to how much you want to pay for the stock.

If you plan on using it, I would pick up an aftermarket stock from ATI. If you like wood and plan on using it, you might think about keeping the factory stock on it.

Then buy a nice aftermarket wood stock for when you want to put it out on display.
No time for rearranging.
Old September 3, 2020, 02:01 AM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

Have you tried shooting it as it is?

I have a Hungarian with thumbhole stock that I planned to replace, but it comes up to my shoulder so nicely and feels so natural when shooting that I left it alone. It doesn't look as cool as standard AK furniture, but I decided to go with function over "cool".
Old September 3, 2020, 06:41 AM   #4
highpower3006

I have converted a few MAK90's. I find the Chinese version of the thumbhole stock to be hideously uncomfortable and I couldn't wait to get that ungainly looking and feeling POS off of mine. It is really easy to do depending on how far you want to go de-banning them.

One thing to remember is that there are three basic types on MAK90's. On the stamped guns there is both a slant cut rear receiver and a straight cut. The milled receiver versions are only slant cut. If you have a milled MAK, you are going to have to use the Ironwood set.

I converted a milled MAK a few years ago using Ironwood furniture and a Bulgarian gas block and front sight so I could have the cleaning rod and bayonet lug. I also threaded the muzzle the standard 1x14LH and installed a Chinese thread protector.

Later on I picked up one of their stocks that looks more like a Chinese Type56 buttstock and installed a set of Chinese handguards and pistol grip:

I also did a straight cut stamped MAK a year or so later using NOS Chinese spiker wood and a Polytech repop spiker assembly. I also threaded the muzzle and like the milled rifle, I installed a Chinese thread protector.

Shown with my genuine Polytech spiker:

Last edited by highpower3006; September 3, 2020 at 07:55 AM.
Old September 3, 2020, 07:02 AM   #5
44caliberkid

Those are some great looking AK's. Good photography too. I saw a thumb hole Norinco MAK-90 at a gun show last weekend with $900 on it.
Old September 3, 2020, 11:34 AM   #6
Willie Lowman

Nice guns, highpower.

My MAK is a stamped slant cut. I too find the Chinese thumb hole stock to be uncomfortable and ugly.
Old September 3, 2020, 09:41 PM   #7
ed308

I saw a thumb hole Norinco MAK-90 at a gun show last weekend with $900 on it.

My Mak90 is one of best investment I’ve made. It and a SKS have been a safe queens for over 20 years. Are prices going up on them?
Old September 4, 2020, 12:05 AM   #8
50 shooter

ed308,
Yeah, prices on them have been going up on them over the years.

I remember when MAK-90's were down around $150.
No time for rearranging.
Old September 4, 2020, 05:36 AM   #9
jetinteriorguy

I paid $118.00 shipped for mine. I do have the Ironwood stock on it. It only needed minor fitting. I like the looks but for me it’s a very uncomfortable stock, way too small. I’ve tried a few different stocks over the years and for me none of them works as good as the original thumb hole style. I did take a rasp and sanding drum to make the hand grip actually fit a human hand and then refinished it and the forearm to a nice walnut finish with hand rubbed Tung Oil. This is my second Norinco, my first one cost $107.00 and it was an original pre ban that I sold for $900.00 when the Clinton ban had everyone panicking. The guy who bought it literally had the trunk of his car full of banned weapons of all sizes and descriptions.
Old September 4, 2020, 10:52 AM   #10
ed308

I bought mine way back then when they first came out. Paid around $100 for it. Fun to shoot. But not a fan of FMJ ammo due to lack of accuracy. And few ranges in my area allow FMJ. And I like ARs better. I need to venture over to AR15.com and see who will give me $900 for mine.