The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 30, 2020, 11:03 PM   #1
big al hunter

Best Gift From Grandpa

My father in law gave my 10 year old son his first rifle. It is a Marlin 1894 in 357 mag/38 spl. It is a little scarred up from grandpa and his son hunting with it for many years. But my son was happy as could be to have his own hunting rifle. My son isn't sure yet if he wants to hunt this year, but grandpa wanted him to have the gun and start practicing.

I couldn't find any factory ammo for it, so I cast some bullets and loaded my own for it. I took my 3 youngest boys for a day of shooting today. The Marlin was more popular with the kids than the 22. First time for everything. . It was also my son's first time shooting iron sights on a rifle. He was a bit frustrated at first, but by the end of 100 rounds he was getting pretty good.

I would love to hear your stories about your first lever gun.
Old August 31, 2020, 12:48 AM   #2
bamaranger

lever gun

I'm a big fan of the .357 Marlin lever. Bamaboy's (now much grown) first centerfire rifle experience was with a .357 Marlin. It seemed an excellent transition from .22 lr. We used .38 spl WC & SWC. He had a bit of trouble lowering the hammer to half cock on a live round however, and so we trained with it as a single shot. Open the action, manually feed a cartridge into the chamber. close action, Shoot, repeat. He was about 10 as well, and just did not have the hand strength nor coordination to get lowering the hammer down just so. I'll add that Bamawife had the same issue with the little carbine. No safety on my Marlin.

My first lever was my Grandad's M88/.308, age 13. I've posted on it before. Killed my first whitetail with it, now the rifle is in semi-retirement. Next came a M94, as a spare rifle about age 22. I bought the .357 Marlin in the same era. When I retired, 5 yrs ago, the guys chipped in an bought me a standard model Henry .22lr!!!!!!!!
Old August 31, 2020, 01:15 PM   #3
Drm50

My 1st lever gun was 5th birthday 1955, a Marlin 1897 my Dad bought out of a collection.
I was 8 before I could handle it. My first deer rifle was at 12, I weighed in at about 100 lbs soaking wet and got me a Remington #8 in 35cal. That rifle don’t seem to kick now, but 60yrs ago it waltzed me around pretty good.
Old August 31, 2020, 01:29 PM   #4
aarondhgraham

My grandfather gave me a rifle as well,,,

My grandfather gave me a rifle as well,,,
But it wasn't a lever action.

It was the K98 Mauser that his brother brought back from Europe after WW-II.

He also gave me the bayonet and a bandolier of ammunition,,,
Then he did something my parents never did,,,
He took me out to shoot it.

I still have the rifle,,,
It is a precious possession.

I hope you son will still have that rifle when he's as old as I am.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old August 31, 2020, 10:55 PM   #5
Win38-55

My first lever action was a Model 1894 Winchester 38-55. Made in 1908.Loved it at age 13 still do. My Grandfather, Father, two Uncles and myself all shot deer with it. Still have it, I haven't used it in 20 plus years. Octagon barrel, feels about 5 foot long. Has peep sight on it. I would still carry it but...........just take it out of the safe every now and then work the action, sit and remember way back when.
Old August 31, 2020, 11:36 PM   #6
big al hunter

Thanks for the stories.

Part of what makes this fun for me is that my first hunting rifle was a lever too. I worked all summer for my dad the year I turned 12. (Couldn't get my hunting license until then, Idaho age limit). Dad ordered a brand new Winchester 94 in 30-30. That gun will become the property of one of my kids some day. Watching my son work the action and grin makes me understand how my dad felt watching me do the same thing.

Quote:
. He had a bit of trouble lowering the hammer to half cock on a live round however, and so we trained with it as a single shot.
We practiced that on an empty chamber several times. Made sure he could get it done safely. He struggled with the dexterity for a bit. But he is big for his age and his hands are large enough that he can get the proper grip. He still shot it single shot this trip. Loading the tube magazine was rather difficult for him. Didn't help any that we were using SWC bullets. The square shoulder was catching inside the tube and wouldn't load all the way in without a little finesse and a few cuss words.
Old September 1, 2020, 09:29 PM   #7
GarandTd

I almost shot my dad with an old Winchester 30-30 while trying to unload it in the cold after a day of hunting. That was my first field experience with a lever gun. Early lesson in gun safety. I was 12 maybe.