The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 24, 2015, 10:44 PM   #1
Dragline45

Best Semi-Auto Defensive Shotgun Under $1000

What would you all consider the best semi-auto defensive shotgun not exceeding $1000. I have been looking at the Remington 1100, and the Mossberg 930, any downsides to either of these two models? Appreciate any recommendations or input.
Old August 24, 2015, 10:58 PM   #2
armoredman

I am absolutely no expert on shotguns, but the CZ 712 I had was pretty awesome, and reliable. Cost isn't bad.

Old August 25, 2015, 03:58 PM   #3
FITASC

1100 has been around, basically unchanged, since the early 60s; with a minimum of care they'll last that long and then some without any major issues.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 25, 2015, 04:21 PM   #4
USMCGrunt

I got my slightly used (small scuff in the handguard and VERY lint surface rust on the barrel that came out with some CLP and a bush) Benelli Tactical for $800 this spring. Great gun although I did upgrade parts like the extended magazine, hammer and sear (922r compliance) and put on a lImb saver buttpad. Deals are out there, just be ready to jump when one comes your way.
Old August 25, 2015, 04:28 PM   #5
leadcounsel

I'm no shotgun expert, and I have an 1100 that works well. IIRC it does have a O-ring problem that can cause reliability issues.

I keep mine around as a backup, but I'd personally first go with a pump gun. Much less expensive and as long as you train, which you should do anyway, you won't short-shuck it.
Old August 25, 2015, 06:39 PM   #6
Virginian

I have had 1100s since 1963 and I have never had an O ring go bad. I have one that has been in service since 1967 and over 100,000 rounds. Call it a test in progress. They do not move in service, they get torn by ham handedness during assembly and disassembly. The reliability issue is a myth UNLESS someone installed a cheap rubber plumber's O ring. Lubricants dissolve those.
Old August 25, 2015, 06:42 PM   #7
Arizona Fusilier

I say Benelli M3.....and converts to pump-action as well as semi-automatic with a simple twist. But I confess I don't know how much they cost now. Think I paid $900 20 years ago
Old August 25, 2015, 11:46 PM   #8
Dragline45

Quote:
IIRC it does have a O-ring problem that can cause reliability issues.
I heard the same, though if it came down to it I would just keep a couple spares around and replace it every few years.

The Benelli's are nice, and if I did come across a good deal I would jump on it, but from my experience most people think their guns are worth their weight in gold, and cant understand the concept that used guns sell for less than what they paid new, so I won't hold my breath.
Old August 26, 2015, 07:35 AM   #9
psalm7

I like the pump guns myself , but the 1100 is smooth shooting very reliable for years of service thousands of tounds with very little maintanance .
That being said a thing I have seen and have shown others many times is take metal 5 gallon buckes and heavy field loads with a Remington 1100 and Browning A5 at 25/30 yards . The 1100 will rock it back and forth maby knock it over while the A5 send it flipping end over end . Its a trade off there is still plenty of energy left on the recieving end but you lose alot for that smooth firing weapon . The A5 will recoil like a pump gun while the 1100 gives you a fast follow up .
The only time I have seen a damaged 0 ring on a 1100 is where it was damaged during reassembley .
Old August 26, 2015, 02:01 PM   #10
Dragline45

Quote:
I like the pump guns myself , but the 1100 is smooth shooting very reliable for years of service thousands of tounds with very little maintanance .
That being said a thing I have seen and have shown others many times is take metal 5 gallon buckes and heavy field loads with a Remington 1100 and Browning A5 at 25/30 yards . The 1100 will rock it back and forth maby knock it over while the A5 send it flipping end over end . Its a trade off there is still plenty of energy left on the recieving end but you lose alot for that smooth firing weapon . The A5 will recoil like a pump gun while the 1100 gives you a fast follow up .The only time I have seen a damaged 0 ring on a 1100 is where it was damaged during reassembley .
Sorry not sure I follow this, are you trying to say that the same load out of a Browning A5 will be more powerful than out of an 1100? Given that they have the same barrel lengths I just don't buy that, that's not how it works. Regardless of what gun you use, that shot is leaving the barrel at the same velocity. The only thing that would effect how it impacts those 5 gallon buckets is the barrel length and choke used due to the difference in spread.
Old August 26, 2015, 02:17 PM   #11
psalm7

No you are wrong . The A5 is recoil operated the 1100 is gas . The A5 hits nearly as hard as a pump or single barrel . The 1100 bleeds of gas , thats why dove hunters prefer them for long shooting days less recoil and a little loss of power is not a bad trade off for felt recoil . If you do not have a A5 try it with a non simi shot gun instead of saying you dont buy that . Any one that has hunted with both can tell the differance . 2 of the same movable targets and same ammo .
Old August 26, 2015, 02:37 PM   #12
Dragline45

Quote:
No you are wrong . The A5 is recoil operated the 1100 is gas . The A5 hits nearly as hard as a pump or single barrel . The 1100 bleeds of gas , thats why dove hunters prefer them for long shooting days less recoil and a little loss of power is not a bad trade off for felt recoil . If you do not have a A5 try it with a non simi shot gun instead of saying you dont buy that . Any one that has hunted with both can tell the differance . 2 of the same movable targets and same ammo .
Again that's not how it works, just because the gas is being used to automatically work the action doesn't mean the shot coming out of the barrel is moving at a lower velocity. The reason a pump gun has more recoil is because you are getting the full brunt of all that energy, where the auto uses that energy to cycle the bolt, it doesn't change the velocity of the shot coming out of the barrel. In fact im pretty sure the shot has already left the barrel by the time the gun ejects and cycles the next round.

I just posted a new thread asking about this, so well see what some of the more knowledgeable posters will have to say about it.

Last edited by Dragline45; August 26, 2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old August 26, 2015, 02:47 PM   #13
psalm7

Genarations of hunters and the reaction of moving targets say the A5 action puts more power down range than the 1100 . Not faulting the 1100 and I would prefer one for quicker follow ups . Just try this with similar firearms for yourself .
Old August 26, 2015, 03:51 PM   #14
FITASC

Quote:
Genarations of hunters and the reaction of moving targets say the A5 action puts more power down range than the 1100
Based on what? Please cite your references.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 26, 2015, 04:02 PM   #15
psalm7

I did cite my refrerences , set up the targets and shoot them . The old Browning action will shoot harder than the 1100 . The gas system on the 1100 does bleed of some energy that the A5 retains .
Old August 26, 2015, 06:54 PM   #16
FITASC

No, YOU claiming something without data is meaningless. You state that "generations of hunters say..."

Sorry, that is as worthless as any Madison Ave marketing crap. No data= no facts

Take the same loads in guns of equal length and barrel length and run them over a chrono with photo-based documentation.
Old August 26, 2015, 11:54 PM   #17
leadcounsel

Can we skip the "my gun has more power downrange" debate. It's irrelevant to this OP topic.

Whether shot comes from an 1100 or A5 it's going to have the same deadly impact for the recipient (who is not a metal jug, but instead flesh and bone).
Old August 28, 2015, 08:49 AM   #18
g.willikers

For defensive purposes, "The gun is the least of it."
Defensive survival skills and mastering the shotgun you have trumps choice of equipment every time.
Old August 28, 2015, 08:11 PM   #19
Dreaming100Straight

The OP specifically asked about the Mossberg 930. Forget the -CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED--CENSORED- contest between Remington and Mossberg, Ford and Chevy, while Mossberg is reputed to turn out a pretty good pump, its semi is another story.

The question is what is the best defensive auto loader for $1,000. I believe that means new for $1,000. don't know how the OP rates one over the other for defensibility, but I would suggest the key factor would be reliability.
Old August 29, 2015, 10:57 AM   #20
Dragline45

Quote:
Defensive survival skills and mastering the shotgun you have trumps choice of equipment every time.
That doesn't in any way answer my question...
Old August 29, 2015, 11:33 AM   #21
noonesshowmonkey

It's a bit above your budget, but take a long look at the Baretta 1301.
Old September 1, 2015, 08:21 PM   #22
buckhorn_cortez

The FN SLP can be found at about $1000 sometimes less. The SLP is an 18.5-inch barrel and the SLP Mark 1 is a 22-inch barrel.

FN has a variety of barrel lengths that will fit the SLP. I have the 18.5-inch barrel and a 26-inch barrel. The barrels use interchangeable Invector choke tubes.
Old September 2, 2015, 08:00 AM   #23
MarkCO

Quote:
I have been looking at the Remington 1100, and the Mossberg 930, any downsides to either of these two models?
Neither one releases the next shell on the trigger pull. When you go past 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine, that leads to feed bobbles. You can modify them to work, but it takes some effort and there are better choices.

The M3000 (or M3K) would be a much better choice and in about the same price range. They are an inertia based system and are more reliable than either of the other two you are looking at.
Old September 2, 2015, 03:26 PM   #24
g.willikers

Quote:
I have been looking at the Remington 1100, and the Mossberg 930, any downsides to either of these two models?
Neither one releases the next shell on the trigger pull. When you go past 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine, that leads to feed bobbles.
Could you explain, please.
Old September 2, 2015, 03:32 PM   #25
g.willikers

Quote:
That doesn't in any way answer my question...
By that I mean it doesn't really matter what shotgun you choose, as long as it works and you know how to work it, especially under the circumstances you have mentioned.
They all have their little quirks and advantages.
Like the old adage sez, "Be familiar with your equipment."