The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 9, 2021, 07:33 PM   #76
bamaranger

Cooper

Jeff Cooper made comments about having a lanyard on a J-frame or Det Special, and I recall seeing pics of same, which was " handy while sleeping" or words to that effect. The lanyard loop was a sling swivel stud set into the bottom of the grip/frame. I don't recall reading further elaboration.
Old August 11, 2021, 07:01 AM   #77
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
I don't see the connection between folks getting out in the woods for COVID R+R and a bear hitting an Airmobile tree planting crew.

But what do I know?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...?ocid=msedgntp
Probably the bear got mad they were not wearing masks
Old August 11, 2021, 10:34 AM   #78
Mulebuk Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriracha View Post
Hi all,

What are your thoughts on methods for sleeping while armed?

Thanks,
- Sriracha
See post 76 about lanyards. Very valid, most in a camping scenario will actually have the gun under pillow or blanket for when nosy bear comes calling, you of course get startled jump out and you can't find gun.

The other real threat are all the ex-cons on the prowl, they'll even be more clever than a nosy bear.
Old August 13, 2021, 01:16 PM   #79
Mannlicher

I keep a custom 1911 beside the cot or air mattress. Triijicon night sights, a Surefire light, and 8 JHP. OR, a Glock 40 10MM set up the same way, but with a Trijicon RMS dot sight. I sleep light when afield.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old August 14, 2021, 09:27 AM   #80
BornFighting88

Whenever I am traveling, and the state I am in/going to is freedom-friendly, you bet your bottom dollar my trusty officer’s ACP is either on my side or within arms reach. I make a twice a year trip from the Lehigh Valley to Erie, and my pistol is holstered while in car and out and about, and in hotel room en route, or at the lodge in Erie, either in eyesight/arms reach, or holstered.

I can count on one hand how many times I’ve gone camping or slept in the wild. Once was in late season flintlock, and we camped out at a cabin and had rifles primed and loaded stacked along the wall and pistols primed and loaded near our cots.

Even though we were after deer, there are black bears, mountain lions, and New Jersian “hunters”. (Seriously Jersey!!! You can just get on the parkway and waffle one in your daily commute…. Leave Pennsy deer to Pennsylvanian freemen and devote your time to ousting Murphy….) roaming my sacred Pennsyl-tucky timbers. Gotta stay safe out there.
Old August 15, 2021, 08:24 AM   #81
JustJake

Quote:
you bet your bottom dollar my trusty officer’s ACP is either on my side or within arms reach.
Careful there ... if yours is an older generation of Colt officer's model, those are known to be jammers and problem-children right outta da box, hence unreliable, unless maybe they've been professionally tweaked-n-tuned.

Now if your model is one the newer Gen of 3" Colt variants, like the Defender or New Agent, that's different. Those are usually good to go.
Old August 16, 2021, 11:09 PM   #82
jrothWA

Having backpacked in the WA Cascades, I slept with the sidearm in a thumb-break holster h sometimes inside the bag or warm night outside the bag. Sometimes a revolver or Semi.
Old August 17, 2021, 05:58 PM   #83
BornFighting88

Newer officer

JustJake,

Thanks for concern. But it is a new Gen 3" by Kimber. Nothing but reliable for me since day 1.

Boy does that puppy make a BOOM though.
Old August 17, 2021, 08:04 PM   #84
Aguila Blanca
Staff

[QUOTE-JustJake]Careful there ... if yours is an older generation of Colt officer's model, those are known to be jammers and problem-children right outta da box, hence unreliable, unless maybe they've been professionally tweaked-n-tuned.[/QUOTE]
It appears that you are repeating unverified hearsay. We prefer first-nand experience and verified facts around here.

For example, I have a friend who owns a Colt Officers ACP. He estimates 10,000 rounds through it with no bobbles.

He lives in another state. Several years ago, when I was visiting over a weekend, we went shooting and he let me try his Officers ACP. It was love at first sight. As soon as I got home I started looking. I couldn't afford the prices at the time (the Officers ACP had already been discontinued, and nice used ones were selling at a premium), but I found a deal locally on an M1991A1 Compact -- which is the same pistol in a less sophisticated finish. I have since acquired another M1991A1 Compact (a rescue -- it had been badly Bubba'ed) and an actual Officers ACP.

Jammers? My three and my friend's one must not have gotten the memo. My rescue pistol is my primary carry pistol -- I wouldn't carry it if I even suspected that it might have a reliability problem.
Jeepaholic
Old September 2, 2021, 05:05 AM   #85
Brit

Of all the pistols I have ever owned, the Glock 19 4th gen is the most reliable, never failed. Thousands of rounds fired. Night sights extended slide release, short butt plug.
Never let the fuel gauge get below half full.
Coming home from Library, topped up the tank. Happiness is a full tank.
Make sure you know how to exit your garage with a power failure!
Carry always!
Old September 2, 2021, 03:20 PM   #86
dgludwig

Quote:
Make sure you know how to exit your garage with a power failure!
I think that's why they put bumpers on cars.
Old September 5, 2021, 12:08 PM   #87
jstert

i hike, but haven’t camped in ages. i carry, discretely, everyplace lawful to do so. outdoors my worries are feral dogs and feral humans. i’m a revolver guy and my protection pieces are 38sp, 5 shot j frames. at home my bedside piece is a 3” rossi, in the woods my ccw is a dao 1.8” s&w 642. both are fully loaded and holstered, and would be regardless if i’m sleeping in a hotel or tent. i am usure about going to places where i need more than 38sp.
Old September 7, 2021, 01:17 AM   #88
ME262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriracha View Post
Hi all,
What are your thoughts on methods for sleeping while armed?
I go hiking and camping and suspect it's probably statistically safer in the woods than even the suburbs where I live. It's Georgia, so no grizzlies, wolves, or large kitties. Nonetheless, there's a mild feeling of vulnerability when sleeping outside, so it's comforting to have a sidearm.

I don't sleep-walk or move around unusually while sleeping but am still wary of unintentional motions. For ordinary carry, I have a Sig P238 in my pocket holster in condition 1; cocked/locked. But when camping and sleeping outside, I prefer a J-frame revolver with the next chamber empty and enclosed in a nearby closed fanny pack-type holster for peace of mind.

The only other method so far that I feel comfortable with is an autoloader in condition 3--no round in chamber. There are obvious disadvantages for self-defense, but the principle is to require my mind to be alert enough to perform deliberate motions to ready the gun. Any other ideas or advice?

Thanks,
- Sriracha
When bad things happen they usually happen very fast and when you least expect and want them to. I don't understand leaving a chamber empty etc. I've spent thousands of nights in the wilderness. No holster at night. I want it instantly available with one hand, but covered up in case someone peeks in.
Old September 7, 2021, 01:27 AM   #89
ME262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
As I mentioned, even with a large bear population where I live, a attack is such a small concern, if any. I believe a tree limb coming down, or a heart attack as example as bigger threats. even though I consider myself fit for my age. But some of the places I travel are quite stressful to make it through. And in most places cell phones have no service. Never thought about it much before, but perhaps a SOS GPS system might be a good investment.
Given the information of the story above, "IF" Bears were a concern for me, I would not only carry my firearm, but would carry Bear Spray.
(although I do not know much about it, never met anyone that does in my area, nor have even seen it on a shelf for sale in any LGS or Stores) Beside if I buy any spray it is Tick repellent and I buy a ton of it. Yes, TICKS are actually my biggest concern of all. That little tiny Tick is much more scary than bears for the folks where I live.

Ha ha ticks r the only outdoors thing that I'm really afraid of! I've had so many of those little bastards on and in me!
Old September 7, 2021, 01:33 AM   #90
ME262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
As I mentioned, we do not have bear attacks where I live and yet a large bear population.
Interesting to see the studies of Bear attacks on the Applacian Trail, where there are always people, and People with food etc. Yes, the have had attacks, but the odds are 1 in 3 million.
https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/appa...-trail-murders
Muders by humans is also very low.

Most people will die from Heart Attacks, Lightening, Falls etc. Yes, I carry a Revolver
snubbie when spending time in my explorations of the woods, Swamps and Forrest like i have done since a young Boy. Necessary. No, just provides peace of mind.

"However, as the statistics stand, there’s roughly 1 fatal attack every 8-10 years. The ATC claims nearly 3million visited the trail this year, this means that nearly 1 in 24-30million chance you will be involved in a fatal bear attack."

https://appalachiantrailhistory.org/...ger/blackbears

I do not have any worries about A predator Black Bear, or the Predator Water Moccasin that seeks out humans. I do have worry about LYME DISEASE much more. I have more concern about being taken OUT by a Text messaging driver on the way to the Swamps etc.

I stay out of places that I find more dangerous. I will not go into Chicago, Balitmore DC etc. or the local hood. The chances of being killed in Chicago are 100 times higher for example.
I do not camp in public camp grounds.The swamps/Woods/Forrest are the safest places on earth to me. And as far away from humans the safer they are.
Lots of good posts, and i agree with this one too. Public campgrounds are a million times more likely to be trouble than being way out in the wilderness.
Old September 19, 2021, 08:33 PM   #91
ChuteTheMall

Secure your gear in the tent, but sleep outside it several yards away in the bushes.
A trouble maker will be expecting to find you in the tent, don't be there. Be nearby.

A glock in a holster chambered and ready to use, within arms reach;
stored in a nearby boot, with flashlight and glasses stored in the other boot.

And a mousegun in a pocket holster, in a pocket, as a concealed backup.
Old September 19, 2021, 08:35 PM   #92
ChuteTheMall

Sorry, double tap.
Old September 26, 2021, 07:54 PM   #93
jstert

no matter where i sleep a fully loaded 38sp j frame, either in a holster or pistol rug, with a speedloader reload, is next to me. flashlight too. i don’t understand anyone who would be armed at home, but disarmed on the road or under the stars.
Old September 27, 2021, 07:30 PM   #94
dgludwig

Quote:
Secure your gear in the tent, but sleep outside it several yards away in the bushes.
Well, that sounds like a plan. Don't forget the OFF.
Old September 29, 2021, 05:10 AM   #95
Lt.Nick

I almost always camp with a s&w 627 8 shot In the holster.
Fully loaded, and never had any difficulties. I just find the 357/38 so versatile.