The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 17, 2017, 10:50 PM   #1
Texas Reb

Haversack/possibles bag

What do you guys use as a possibles bag? I've been looking for something close to a Czech bread bag.
Old November 17, 2017, 11:23 PM   #2
Hawg

Sounds like you want a suitcase. Possibles bags are fairly small. This is the one I use the most. It's 7 H X 8 W and the front and back are sewn directly together.

Old November 17, 2017, 11:51 PM   #3
Texas Reb

Laughing. Only if it's on wheels.

I was looking for something close to 12x9ish with a couple of compartments

That's nice! Did you make it?
Old November 18, 2017, 12:05 AM   #4
Hawg

No, it's made by Leatherman.
Old November 18, 2017, 12:28 AM   #5
FrontierGander

12x9 sure is a huge bag.
Old November 18, 2017, 01:24 AM   #6
Model12Win

Do you plan to use it for muzzleloading stuff?

Most of the old timers used a smaller bag to hold there shooting supplies and a larger bag to hold things like bread and medicines, etc. etc.

You might have 12x9" in mind but if it's just for shooting supplies you either are carrying way more stuff than you need or have a too big a bag. I use an 8x8" bag and it's plenty big.
Old November 18, 2017, 10:03 AM   #7
Oliver Sudden

I have bags set up for each gun. Mine are about 8"x 9" and have a pocket or two inside for things. The coon pouch is one I've used for a number of rifles since 1975 and it's going to the match today. I have all that's needed in it. You'll need a haversack besides your possibles bag.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0216a.jpg (93.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0217a.jpg (91.5 KB, 60 views)

Last edited by Oliver Sudden; November 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old November 18, 2017, 10:18 AM   #8
Texas Reb

I was planning on using it as essential bag I guess. Here's a list of stuff I was going to carry.

Shooting supplies, an old band-ade tin I've turned into a first aide kit, my tinder bag, a mora knife/fire steel, a whistle, pint of water and various snacks.
Old November 18, 2017, 12:01 PM   #9
Model12Win

It's up to you and that Czech army bag would probably work.

You might still be better off with a small backpack for all of your survival and sundries, and a smaller shooting pouch and horn (or flask) for your gun. This will be much nicer to carry. A pint of water isn't much in a survival situation and there are packs with built in water bladders that can hold several liters of water, food, a true full size first aid kit, spare clothing, navigation aids, etc. etc.

This would all weigh more so back carry would be more comfortable. You could then use the shooting bag to carry all of your "ammunition" and tools for the gun right at your side. Much nicer to just have those than a big bag weighed down with water etc.

Again, the old timers did things similar, they used a separate shooting bag in most cases. It works real well. Your call though. This is what I use:

Last edited by Model12Win; November 18, 2017 at 12:09 PM.
Old November 18, 2017, 12:44 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

A haversack and a possibles bag are two completely different things.
12 x 9 is a purse. The stuff you are going to carry doesn't go in a possibles bag. The shooting stuff does, but not the rest. You absolutely do not want any water anywhere near your powder. Mind you, nobody will be checking.
Old November 18, 2017, 02:12 PM   #11
Texas Reb

O'heir
Thanks. I hadn't thought it through as carefully as I should have.

Model12
Thank you Sir. You make several valid points and I do like your setup.

Oliver Sudden,
Your bags are magnificent especially the coon one!

Thanks for the suggestions fellows.
Old November 18, 2017, 02:32 PM   #12
Model12Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Reb View Post
O'heir
Thanks. I hadn't thought it through as carefully as I should have.

Model12
Thank you Sir. You make several valid points and I do like your setup.

Oliver Sudden,
Your bags are magnificent especially the coon one!

Thanks for the suggestions fellows.
No problem! It can be really fun picking out a nice shooting bag, or even making one yourself, it's not hard.

I recommend you get one with at least one internal pocket or more. Really helps organize things and keep the messier items like pre-lubed patches away from the other parts. Whatever you choose let us know and share!
Old November 18, 2017, 09:20 PM   #13
4V50 Gary
Staff

Bags are not hard to make. The Sibleys have a book on it.
Old November 18, 2017, 11:06 PM   #14
Oliver Sudden

Reb, thanks I trapped the coon, tanned him and sewed it up. If a no account like me could do it then surely you could too. Just start and make it the way you think it should be, don't let books or the Internet cloud your mind. It ain't rocket science!
Old November 18, 2017, 11:55 PM   #15
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Have enclosed stands. Leave a few ball_couple pre-lubed patches stored in a empty Percussion Cap tin _a day horn of 2-FF powder and a card of 209s. Done when hooking up my Big Buddy before muzzle season starting. I rather stock my heated stands one time with ammo than carry back & forth daily to my cabin. I'm all about: Easy.

The only things I carry around my neck. A couple leather lanyard brass Charges. One charger for my 45-Hawken the other for my 54-Hawken.
Old November 19, 2017, 10:08 AM   #16
mete

, Essentials ?? Haversack is from the Norwegian word for oat cakes , knapsack a similar Danish, add Czech bread bag and you learn what was essential when taking a trip !! They knew in the old days .Even in the New World it was " johnny cake" [from corn meal journey cake ] .
You can even design and make your own easily enough.
Old November 19, 2017, 08:18 PM   #17
bedbugbilly

I think you might find that the terminology of "possibles bag" is a might bit obscured. While it is ofter the term used for the bag to hold the shooting supplies, you'll find that the bag used to hold shooting supplies was referred to as a "hunting pouch", "shooting pouch" and possibly several other terms.

A "possibles bag" was just for that . . . "possibles" that you might need. Not o start a big "hoopla" - just stating that the two terms are often interchanged. To me, a possibles bag is not different that a haversack - larger than a hunting pouch to hold such things as (originally) jerky, parched corn and other food items as well as possibly such things as a fire kit, sewing kit for patching clothes and moccasins, tobacco, etc. The hunting pouch carried the bare necessities for loading the rifle - balls, patching material, a spare flint or two or percussion caps possibly a small powder flask if a horn is not carried, etc. - possible a knife attached to it with a sheath for cutting patching material at the muzzle and general use, possibly a small trail axe attached to the back. Anything else was"excess baggafe". I have had the opportunity to see and examine quite a few original hunting pouches and for the most part, those of the 1800's were small and if a horn was attached, it was usually a "day horn" which held enough powder for a day's worth of hunting. Earlier, when hunters, militia, etc. were required to be in the field, the horns were of course much larger as were the bags in many cases.

Texas Reb - there is no "right or wrong". Determine what your requirements are and that will determine the size of bag you need. I can guarantee you that if you start with a large bag, chances are that you will eventually move to a much smaller "hunting pouch" and weed the unnecessary contents out. Personally, I would think you would be better served to carry a smaller "hunting pouch" to cary the minimum things you need to carry to load and shoot your rifle in the field, and then have a separate haversack o "possibles bag" to carry all the other stuff - water bottle, first aid kit, food, etc.

One of the tarred Civil War haversacks would work well for that or similar. Canvas bags are fairly easy to make if you can see. Pillow ticking, canvas, etc. can easily be used to construct them. If you are hunting or on the move, make your haversack so it can have an adjustable strap to conform with how many clothes you are wearing. It is much easier to carry a haversack with it riding up higher more under your arm than it is to have it banging against your hip every step you take. The same with a hunting pouch.

If you decide to make your own pillow ticking or canvas pouch, when it's all done, it can be painted with a latex paint and the paint will soak in and help to make it water proof. If you want to "age" it, once it is thoroughly dry and you have your better half's permission, throw it in the dryer for a half hour or so. I used to make them and use black or tile red latex paint on them for a period look.

Again though, there is not right or wrong - it's up to what works for you. I can guarantee you that if our ancestors looked into most of the hunting pouches that carried today, they would go through them and toss half of the contents into the ditch along side the road as being "unnecessary clutter". :-)

Good luck to you.

Hawg - that left handed lock in your photo and the stock as well looks like you have an interesting project going! :-)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 20, 2017, 11:27 AM   #18
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg - that left handed lock in your photo and the stock as well looks like you have an interesting project going! :-)
That's an old Parker SXS muzzleloader a friend gave me. It hung over the back door on his porch for a lot of years. The stock is in bad shape and the solder rotted in the barrels. When I took them out of the stock they fell apart. I was going to use the hammers for another antique shotgun but they were both different. Even the lock internals are messed up. That old gun was worn out before it was hung up. I may try to put it back together one day as a display.
Old November 20, 2017, 06:43 PM   #19
4V50 Gary
Staff

BTW, a haversack is just a linen or cloth food bag. Think bread bag. It doesn't have the strength to carry accoutrements and besides, lead, blackpowder and bear grease doesn't do much to enhance the flavor of hardtack, salt port or other rations.
Old December 1, 2017, 07:57 AM   #20
iac

I actually use an 1840s style haversack as a possibles bag.
Large enough for my possibles AND an apple or sandwich !