The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 31, 2017, 08:21 AM   #1
b.deb

Replacement for 9mm 1911

We had some contractors in our house and later we noticed my wifes custom 1911 midsize was missing. Looking to replace it. She has small hands but the single stack fit her well. Any suggestions on a replacement?
Old October 31, 2017, 08:47 AM   #2
pat701

Wow, sorry to hear of your theft. Not a 1911 but let her hold a Sig P239, she may like the feel. Their are 10rd mags for it, but hard to come by, i have two 10rd's.
Old October 31, 2017, 09:02 AM   #3
MandolinMan

A Browning Hi Power fitted with thin or slim grip panels is very similar in grip size and trigger reach to a standard 1911. It seems to work well for even the smallest hands while offering a 15 +1 capacity. That said, they can be somewhat pricey these days.
Old October 31, 2017, 09:07 AM   #4
BigJimP

Another 1911 would be smart...Wilson Combat has a lot of options / go to their website ...and "shop".." in stock firearms"...could ship tomorrow.

Personally I like the CQB models...and there are a number of them in 9mm right now...

Custom / semi custom, I don't think you will find a better 1911 on the market ( my full sized Wilson 5" in 9mm is coming up on 12 yrs old and roughly 200,000 rds thru it now...).

I agree the Sig 239 is a nice gun...but its not a well tuned 1911....

( I see a nice looking CQB Commander, all black, 4.25" for $3,710 ...in inventory )...
--------------------------
If she likes 1911's, I don't understand suggesting she buy something else....you said she had a custom gun..??? / ...but if budget is an issue ...there are a number of companies making production level 1911's in 9mm...like Colt, Springfield, etc...

Last edited by BigJimP; October 31, 2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old October 31, 2017, 09:39 AM   #5
Wishoot

Knowing your budget would be helpful.

S&W's Shield in 9mm is an excellent single-stack and can be found for $300 or so. The Ruger LC9 is also a good option.
Old October 31, 2017, 10:28 AM   #6
DaleA

Welcome to the forum.
It would help us give you an answer if we had the following information, did your wife REALLY like her custom 1911 and which custom 1911 was it and the obvious question is why not just get another gun just like the other gun?
Again welcome to the forum, there's a lot of good folk and good information here.
Old October 31, 2017, 10:33 AM   #7
zincwarrior

You should ask her what she likes first.
Old October 31, 2017, 11:38 AM   #8
SA1911

Good Morning b.deb,

pat701 is right on target. I'm convinced that the P239 is among the world's best personal protection handguns. It's 100% reliable. A self-defense handgun that is not 100% reliable is not a self-defense handgun. For clarity, no mechanical device is 100&% reliable. The idea is to get as close to 100% reliable as possible. The P239 is such a handgun. Its weight mitigates recoil thereby allowing one to keep its muzzle pointed at a threat. Recoil should never take a muzzle off a threat.

I'm a bigger caliber and heavy bullet is better dude. Others see it differently. Hence, I'd recommend a .40 S&W. But it the end, it'll be preference.
Old October 31, 2017, 11:48 AM   #9
KyJim

Assuming she wants a 1911, look at either the Dan Wesson Guardian or Dan Wesson Valkyrie Commander (both in 9mm). Both have aluminum alloy frames with ramped barrels. The Guardian has a bobtail making it a bit easier to conceal. The Valkyrie Commander has a rounded butt which helps keep a concealing garment from catching on it (if that's a concern).

I have the Guardian in 9mm. Great pistol. I have the Valkyrie in a .45 CCO size and love it. Dan Wesson makes good guns and stand behind their products.
Old October 31, 2017, 11:50 AM   #10
SA1911

zincwarrior,

I do not always agree with the bromide, "Ask her what she wants."

Unless women are cops or have had handgun experience, they tend to have little knowledge of tactical handguns, suitable cartridges, and most reliable handguns. They'll have girly stuff wired. Tactical handguns not so much.

I'd start at 9MM. But since I don't like the idea of going with minimum for saving my life, for me it starts at 180 grain .40 S&W and ends at 230 grain .45 ACP.

I'd try talk a woman outta a revolver. I'd talk her in to a Sig P239 .40 S&W or a P220 compact .45 ACP.

If a handgun is a tactical weapon, it should be of the best quality and chambered for a cartridge that's best for keeping a good guy (or girl) off of a pathologist's gurney.

My firend's kid is dating a goofball who knows everything about everything. He's got her talked in to a 9MM. If she goes shooting with me, she'll be looking for a Sig P239 .40 S&W.

I've fired many, many rounds outta a Model 60. With the FBI load, that rascal is unwieldy. 180 grain factory ammo outta a P239 is a lot easier to keep on target, it's far easier to reload, and the .40 S&W is a far better self-defense cartridge than a .38 Special.

I sure as hell would hate to try to reload a revolver in complete darkness. Even worse, one has to take his (or her) eyes off of a threat to reload a revolver, which is always a horrible idea.
Old October 31, 2017, 11:52 AM   #11
SA1911

Ho KyKim,

Are Dan Wesson handguns made in the USA?

I've read excellent reviews of them. Shooters who own them love 'em. Hence, I'm considering buying one.

Thanks
Old October 31, 2017, 11:59 AM   #12
KyJim

Dan Wesson 1911s are made in Norwich, New York. I own several. Like every other gun manufacturer, they sometimes put out a product with a defect. I have had an issue with a couple but got each of them back in about 7 to 10 days with DW picking up all the postage costs.
Old October 31, 2017, 12:25 PM   #13
b.deb

Wow, Thanks for all of the replies. The budget seems like a reasonable place to start and I had originally included one but deleted it. The bride of 35 years is on a guilt trip for not storing it better. The total price for everything stolen was about 1,200 including the Wilson mags. She balks at the thought of spending that much again. Me I'm OK with it. So lets say 500 to 900 would be a good start. The 40 is also something I considered. She likes our sons M&P custom in 40SW those go for around 450 around here.

The Sig is a nice idea, I will look into that. What are the opinions on the new 320?
Old October 31, 2017, 12:34 PM   #14
Jim Watson

I like the Plastic M&P, no reason she shouldn't have one if she likes it, too. But I would stick to 9mm.

I would wait until Sig had gotten through the "voluntary upgrade" programme on the P320 and was shipping correct new guns before considering one of those.
Old October 31, 2017, 01:30 PM   #15
FITASC

Quote:
I do not always agree with the bromide, "Ask her what she wants."

Unless women are cops or have had handgun experience, they tend to have little knowledge of tactical handguns, suitable cartridges, and most reliable handguns. They'll have girly stuff wired. Tactical handguns not so much.
The OP's wife has a custom 1911 stolen; I bet she knows what she likes.

Springfield has their EMP, Wilson the EDC, Baer, Brown and on and on.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 31, 2017, 02:10 PM   #16
Fishbed77

Quote:
I'd start at 9MM. But since I don't like the idea of going with minimum for saving my life, for me it starts at 180 grain .40 S&W and ends at 230 grain .45 ACP.
Hmmm.... So you're OK with minimum capacity...

Had to throw that out there because everything is a compromise. You are trading off one "minimum" for another.
Old October 31, 2017, 02:30 PM   #17
BigJimP

$ 1,200 isn't going to get anyone into the "custom - or semi custom 1911" world ..../ ...but it will take you into the Colt and Springfield 1911's in 9mm...

But picking on the OP for wanting a 1911 in 9mm....or saying it is not adequate for carry or defense...is a little ridiculous. My personal choice for a carry gun ..is a Wilson Combat, Protector Model, 5", all stainless in 9mm... / with Wilson ETM mags its a 10 + 1 capacity ( and depending on my attire that day...I carry either 1 or 2 extra mags). I know it will get the job done...if I need it / and I train weekly with it ... ( 8 - 10 boxes a week / on Tactical Drills...reloads, etc ).

I don't feel "under gunned" or limited by the capacity in my 1911's...everyone makes their choice..based on what they prefer. She should carry ...and shoot ...whatever she wants ! Helping her identify other single stack guns in 9mm is productive..but if she likes the 1911, let her go there / I did ...and noone is talking me out of it - its my decision.
Old October 31, 2017, 03:19 PM   #18
stephen426

Sorry you guys lost the gun. I have a Springfield 1911 Loaded in 9mm that I am very happy with. If your wife was happy and familiar with the 1911 platform, I would stay with that. The Springfield Loaded is all stainless with cocobolo grips. Mine is a great shooter and I am very happy with it.
Old October 31, 2017, 03:47 PM   #19
Red-5

First, I hope you informed the authorities that a firearm went missing after contractors were working at the house.

If the contractor needs a license in your state, I would also notify the licensing bureau of this as well. Personally would not take this lying down, especially when staling about a firearm.

In regards to your original question, as I am a 1911 fan, and my 5' 5" GF who weights 110 lbs soaking wet, she shoots any of my 1911's better than any plastic fantastic.

This may push the budget a bot, by the Dan Wesson Valkyrie are seeing some very low prices right now. Normally they sell for $1700-$1800, but can be found delivered for under $1300.00 for a 9mm Commander.

Also, as noted above, the Springfield EMP 4 is a wonderful gun. Only negative, some parts including mags are proprietary. When I carry, this is my carry gun.

Also, the Springfield Range Officer Champion is another really nice gun.

Another to check out, is the new Freedom Series from Fusion. US Made. Frame and Slide is machined from Bar-Stock. They will be $700.00 - $900.00 in stock configuration. It also ooks like they are doing front strap checkering at no additional charge. The no additional charge deal on the checkering was supposed to end a couple of weeks ago, but still appears you can order that option at no charge.

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/pistols/freedom-series
Old October 31, 2017, 04:18 PM   #20
stephen426

Found this on Gunbroker.com . Not a bad price.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/713496127
Old November 1, 2017, 07:06 AM   #21
JKP

My Sig 1911 Ultra is my favorite 9mm. I went in looking for a Springfield and liked the trigger on this much more for $200 less. My Ruger SR9C is also an excellent choice with slightly less felt recoil and a little over 1/2 the price of the Sig.
Old November 1, 2017, 09:47 AM   #22
railroader

I recently picked up a two tone 5" kimber in 9mm. The gun runs great, looks great and the price was very reasonable. The factory trigger is very good and it's very accurate. Grabagun has the midsize right now for $699.
https://grabagun.com/kimber-9mm-pro-...ii-2-tone.html
Old November 1, 2017, 10:30 AM   #23
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroader View Post
I recently picked up a two tone 5" kimber in 9mm. The gun runs great, looks great and the price was very reasonable. The factory trigger is very good and it's very accurate. Grabagun has the midsize right now for $699.
https://grabagun.com/kimber-9mm-pro-...ii-2-tone.html
Watch the replacement of springs timeline in your manual.
Old November 1, 2017, 07:27 PM   #24
Venom1956

i have a DW pointman 9 and also grabbed a Ruger 4" LW commander in 9mm. I think the recoil and feel of the Ruger lends itself to the 9mm better then the all stainless DW. Now +Ps out of the DW that thing runs like a sewing machine. Fast smooth and soft.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old November 1, 2017, 08:18 PM   #25
tallball

A cheap temporary workaround might be a Star Model BM. It is 9mm, looks and feels like a 1911, but is somewhat smaller. Maybe it's called Commander sized? I don't remember. They are at some of the surplus sites and GunBroker for around $250 right now. I bought one and it's a well-made pistol, a ridiculous bargain for the price.

The Star could be gotten immediately and fill the gap until a properly customized 1911 was arranged for. Afterwards it could be disposed of for little or no loss.