The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 10, 2012, 11:26 AM   #51
RedBowTies88

That does suck, but at least its more of a city thing and not statewide. NJ doesn't give out permits to carry at all not even the rural areas.

You can take advantage of those those states offering non-residents permits like myself. They're very useful

Last edited by RedBowTies88; October 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:31 AM   #52
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsiberians
Well redbow just think, we in NYS can not go anywhere if we want to go armed. Nobody recips with us either.
Unarmed,unhappy traveler.
Well, ALMOST nowhere.... We can go to Vermont and I think also Alaska and Arizona.
Old October 10, 2012, 02:48 PM   #53
Glenn E. Meyer

Been recently to NYC, Chicago, DC, London, Edinburgh, Bristol. Been to San Francisco. Went to Denver, Louisville and didn't take guns.

Still alive. Had fun. Just did what John Farnam says - don't go to stupid places with stupid people.

Did take guns to Memphis!
Old October 10, 2012, 04:22 PM   #54
treg

I won't vacation in a anti - state.

Guns are a big hobby of mine. I have never gone on a vacation that didn't involve guns and shooting.

Last edited by treg; October 10, 2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:45 PM   #55
dawg23

Quote:
y interesting. I have to admit I didn't expect the answers to be so one sided thus far.
I don't find it so surprising in this respect -- a very low percentage of people carry on a "serious" basis. I'll define "serious", for the purposes of my comment only, as meaning "Carries everywhere, all the time, except when going to places where carry is illegal."

People who don't carry on an "everyday, all the time" basis don't find it unsettling to be in place where they cannot carry. To them it's the status quo.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:15 PM   #56
Joe_Pike

I went to IL to visit family last year and took my 642. I didn't carry it while there, though. It stayed in my hotel room or locked in the car.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:21 PM   #57
Justice06RR

NO, I don't restrict myself from vacation in a state that has weird gun laws. NYC/NJ/CA to be specific.

I love visiting NYC for vacation, and sometime LA. I wouldn't hesitate to visit only but I can never see myself living in those states permanently with their crazy laws
Old October 11, 2012, 03:03 PM   #58
Buzzcook

Unless it's a gun specific vacation I don't concern myself with gun laws. I go places to have fun.
Old October 11, 2012, 03:33 PM   #59
wayneinFL

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
y interesting. I have to admit I didn't expect the answers to be so one sided thus far.
I don't find it so surprising in this respect -- a very low percentage of people carry on a "serious" basis. I'll define "serious", for the purposes of my comment only, as meaning "Carries everywhere, all the time, except when going to places where carry is illegal."

People who don't carry on an "everyday, all the time" basis don't find it unsettling to be in place where they cannot carry. To them it's the status quo.
I was a little surprised it was this one-sided myself. But to me it's not "unsettling" to be in an area where I can't carry. Feels a little weird- like walking around without my wallet. But like I said earlier, it's more the principle of the thing.
Old October 13, 2012, 12:39 PM   #60
Apom

I go whever I want to go. I don't carry now but may get around to do it someday.

I've lived in NYC near some bad neighborhoods and have survived without a PREP kit.

My parents are Christian and made me go to church when I was a kid. I got brainwashed with the religious crap for a long time. Now I walk knowing that Jesus has my back. If he wants me safe, I won't need a firearm. If he wants me dead then a firearm won't help no matter the caliber.
Old October 13, 2012, 01:25 PM   #61
Master Blaster 2

I really don't vacation much out of a couple state area. I rerally don't want to spend my money on it as I am content in my home and spend that money on guns and toys. I don't think I am missing anything.
Old October 13, 2012, 02:25 PM   #62
tomrkba

No, I do not ever willingly go to such states. I find stuff to do in states I like.

I will travel internationally; the rules are different there.
Old October 14, 2012, 10:06 AM   #63
FireForged

Sure.. everything isnt about my firearm.
Old October 15, 2012, 06:38 AM   #64
Roaddog

A state that has helmit laws or no carry laws don't get my money. And that is that.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:17 AM   #65
RedBowTies88

We have a helmet law, I for one always wear my helmet but I don't think it should be a law to do so.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:21 AM   #66
Pilot

I think gun laws are an excellent barometer for a state in other areas of freedom like over taxation, spending, nanny state regulations, etc. I do try to not patronize those states, but it is difficult.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:31 AM   #67
RedBowTies88

That is exactly true, NJ for instance has some of the highest taxes in the country and as far as nanny state-ness goes well... there are seveal things that are illegal that I believe are unique to states like us..such as.

Fireworks
BB guns
Unbelted pet in your vehicle
riding without a helmet.
slingshots
Pump your own gasoline
Carrying a pocketknife
Smoking inside anywhere..even a bar

And thats just the tip of the iceberg.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:42 AM   #68
midlifecrisis

If I had a choice I wouldn't but I have to. 3 years ago I had a bone marrow transplant and last year I found out who my donor was. He lives in Germany and for Christmas he and his wife are flying to----------Chicago----------on Christmas Day to see us. Have to leave my P229 home for that trip.