The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 18, 2011, 03:58 PM   #1
deepforks

Reloading video

have any of you seen the sierra video "high power rifle reloading" w/david tubb? before i drop $40 on it, i was hoping to hear some reviews. it's a three hour dvd, so i imagine theres quite a bit of useful info packed into it.
Old October 18, 2011, 09:43 PM   #2
micksis86

I saw it recently i thought it was pretty good, covers all aspects of reloading very thoroughly.
Old October 19, 2011, 11:55 PM   #3
mrawesome22

I just got done watching it. He uses a lot of high end tools that made me jealous lol.

Basically the whole video is aimed at making concentric ammo. He uses a Neco concentricity gauge a lot. He uses a Sinclair primer seater and a Sinclair neck turner. He uses a Gracie??? power trimmer. He uses Forster bench rest seating dies and proves with the runout gauge that they seat much straighter than regular seating dies.

At the end there are some weird videos lmao. They pull a wagon of targets behind a truck and some guy shoots at them while the driver and camera man hang out of the truck. Those guys must have really trusted the shooters abilities lol.

Some really tan guy with bleached blonde, spikey hair shoots underwater in slo-mo...

It was made in 1992 so it should not cost anywhere near $40. For $40 dollars I would have to pass.

Quote:
I saw it recently i thought it was pretty good, covers all aspects of reloading very thoroughly.
It does not. This video is for people that already know the basics. There is no mention of basics and the reasoning behind them. There is no segment on assessing excessive pressure. There is no segment on load development. There is no segment on which press to start out on and why. So on and so forth.

It just shows how to make "awesome" ammo, assuming you know the basics. And he states this early in the video.

It didn't teach me anything. It just showed me some super expensive tools that I won't be happy until I own now lol. The RCBS primer he uses will be my next buy though. Looks handy dandy. http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/457...h-priming-tool

Last edited by mrawesome22; October 20, 2011 at 12:07 AM.