The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 23, 2009, 08:01 AM   #26
snuffynra

only cals are 45/70 and the 06,i have the same problem at gun auctions too.my wife says there is something wrong with me.i need one of them intervention things....i told her i would go to counseling class at gander mt.LOL
Old January 23, 2009, 08:10 AM   #27
2fewdaysafield

Snuffy...I looked at the auction sites. Now I've got a serious drooling problem. Saw mention that the SPR22 is discontinued. Checked Remingtons website. No mention of SPR22. Did I find out about them just in time to have them discontinued?
Old January 23, 2009, 09:47 AM   #28
snuffynra

not sure about that discontinued stuff.i called the one that says lewis arms,he said he can keep getting them,some of the others said they were sold out even though there ad was still up.the one i bought from ,sold out he took his ad down,but i asked a local shop here and he said he thinks he can order them.the only draw back about the rifle is it was not as thick as i expected,but its not a 577 nitro express either,
Old January 23, 2009, 05:43 PM   #29
Bigfatts

Just be careful about what loads you run through them things. They're only rated for Trapdoor safe loads I believe, stay away from the hot stuff.
Old January 23, 2009, 05:54 PM   #30
snuffynra

yup just regular remington 405 gr shot them today.
Old January 28, 2009, 08:18 AM   #31
Magnum Wheel Man

Just an FYI...

yes this rifle was dropped from the Remington line up ( no longer on thier website ).. but I was checking into the availability from my local dealer, & his call in, said he could get them, but they are now being imported from EAA

I haven't had the chance to search thier website yet... but I'm supposed to be having one coming thru EAA rather than Remington

that local dealer still has one of the 30-06 rifles ( I think he got a couple of them, long before I saw them even listed anywhere else ), so I looked it over pretty good last night... it should be a really interesting rifle...
Old January 28, 2009, 09:08 AM   #32
2fewdaysafield

EAA? Thats interesting. Same people that were importing Baikal shotguns back in the '70s.
Old January 28, 2009, 09:10 AM   #33
2fewdaysafield

Magnum wheel man. Please do let us know when you get it. Be interesting to hear some more about them.
Old January 28, 2009, 09:33 AM   #34
snuffynra

i think your dealer must have got some wrong info, i just got mine month ago,Remington is the only one importing them into the united states,i have been trying to get one for 5 years,i finally got it.remington does not have them on there web site.it is a special order gun.guns america has some in both calibers,gun broker has them once in a while,im glad i kept pursuing this rifle ,i like it more each day.
Old January 28, 2009, 09:42 AM   #35
Magnum Wheel Man

Quote:
i think your dealer must have got some wrong info
thats entirely possible, but since Remington dropped the rifle from thier website ( discontinued ) maybe EAA is importing them again...

either way, I should know something by next week...

BTW... I checked the EAA website & there is nothing listed there ( yet anyway )
Old January 28, 2009, 09:50 AM   #36
snuffynra

if you are interested in one you can call any of the places on guns America,i talked to several of them ,they can answer any of your questions. i can tell you it shoots alot better then i thought it would,took it out last week?2 to 3 inch group at 70 yds,first 6 rounds through it.
Old January 28, 2009, 09:55 AM   #37
Magnum Wheel Man

the only data I found on the Remington site is this link...

http://www.remington.com/library/his...fire/SPR22.asp

the search feature turns up nothing on the rifle...
Old January 28, 2009, 10:00 AM   #38
Magnum Wheel Man

...I'll see what my local guy can come up with 1st on the rifle, before trying to go through the on line sources...

BTW... in my searches, I came accross one that had a scope mounted... your's is not tapped for a scope is it ???

I should have saved the link... I think is was the dealer from "down under" I'll look for it again & post a pic if I find it...
Old January 28, 2009, 10:04 AM   #39
snuffynra

remington does not have anything on there site about this gun,you have to go through a dealer,you can call remington,and they will give you info about how to buy one,these are made overseas,by Baikal,that web page you have is very old,they had troubles getting them imported here and took it down,the dealer on guns america that said they are discontinued is trying to make a sale.they did change the wood on it,its much better wood now...here is mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0772.jpg (60.8 KB, 90 views)
Old January 28, 2009, 10:11 AM   #40
snuffynra

they have a built in scope rail mounted into top of barrels,

Last edited by snuffynra; January 28, 2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old January 28, 2009, 10:12 AM   #41
Magnum Wheel Man

Here is the one with a scope... ( might be the 30-06, though they had them listed together ??? )

oops that image is too wide ( I hate when they are wider than the text )... I'll see if I can fix it...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg BAIKAL double with scope.jpg (207.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg BAIKAL double with scope smaller.JPG (51.4 KB, 537 views)
Old January 29, 2009, 01:14 PM   #42
silverhawk500

45-70 Double EAA

I just spoke to EAA, Remington is no longer importing them. EAA was supposed to import them about 4-5 yrs ago, but they never came in. Rem took over and brought a small # in in 30-06, 45-70. EAA is expecting to receive shipment in spring. They also told me that they would be in Jan 2007, we will see.
Old January 29, 2009, 02:14 PM   #43
2fewdaysafield

AAAARRRRGH! Sometimes I HATE these gun boards. Now I just GOTTA have one of these bad boys. Its not like I'll use the thing much. Its not exactly a "range gun" or a deer rifle, but all that reading I did about hunting in Africa when I was a kid has made me always want a SXS double rifle. Of course, they have always been WAAAAAY beyond my means, but here we have one that I can honestly think about affording. When I retire, I won't have a dime to my name but sure enough I'll have a boatload of guns. Oh well I'll live in a slide in camper in my pickup!

silverhawk500, since you spoke to EAA, did they mention what calibers they would be importing? 30-06 and 45/70 are OK and if that's all there is going to be, fine. But If EAA is going to have more calibers, then I'll wait for EAA. Besides, I'd really prefer to have a double that didn't say "Remington". But thats just me.
Old January 29, 2009, 02:55 PM   #44
snuffynra

good luck with eaa,both the remington and Baikal lettering come off,its not in the metal,i just hope eaa doesn't go back to the old wood.
Old January 29, 2009, 03:41 PM   #45
Magnum Wheel Man

I thought I read somewhere that .270 was supposed to be available ( or expected ) as well ???

I'm after the 45-70... a long time dream of mine...
Old January 29, 2009, 07:06 PM   #46
snuffynra

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.aspx?T=spr22 theres a couple of them there,i was very happy with it.i have always been a double rife freak,just cant get wife to trade truck in for one.LOL
Old January 30, 2009, 08:25 AM   #47
Magnum Wheel Man

My dealer's supplier was doing inventory when he called looking for one, but said he didn't have any... then the next day he called back, stating they found one while doing inventory, did he still want it? ... so mine will be here on Tuesday... ( it'll be on layaway for probably a couple months... at least until it gets warm enough that the snow melts off my range... )

I don't know what I paid for it yet, but if it's priced like the 30-06 he has in stock, it'll be over $100.00 cheaper than most listed for sale on line... I'll likely borrow it out after it comes in, for a look over & a couple pictures before it goes on layaway... ( I like my gun smith buddy to look over anything unique that I'm thinking about buying )...

as tough as these are to get, I'm slightly concerned about parts or repair availability, so I want him to look it over for me, since I really don't know much about these double rifles... maybe we'll remove the screws & fore end, & get a good look at the barrel regulating system... which looks like it could be one of the weaker links on the gun ???

SNUFFY... does your new fore arm attach the same as the original ??? if so, any issues with it wobbling ( being from a double barrel shotgun... correct ??? ) I'm not used to the shotgun style splinter fore end
Old January 30, 2009, 09:01 AM   #48
snuffynra

there is a screw that holds the rear sight in position,i bought a longer one and it attaches to the part that latches the forearm,my forearm was off an old 20 ga coach gun,it has a screw hole in that i used to attach that metal part ,so the only draw back is the barrels wont come apart unless you unscrew the fore arm first.there is no wobbling,you could use the latching part but it will take more sanding and fitting,the fore arm that comes with it is very nice wood ,just im always tinkering with things,
Old January 30, 2009, 09:02 PM   #49
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Just be careful about what loads you run through them things. They're only rated for Trapdoor safe loads I believe, stay away from the hot stuff.
Just the 405s? Oh, that sucks. Here ends my interest.
Old January 30, 2009, 09:11 PM   #50
snuffynra

yes doubles are not rated for big pressures even big NITRO EXPRESS doubles are not big pressure guns,but that is why i have a lott and a 375 h&h,trying to make a 45/70 into a safari round is not theoretical,