The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 13, 2008, 10:57 AM   #1
DaveInPA

How do I practice for IDPA?

I will be shooting my first IDPA match in a couple of months. How do I go about practicing and getting ready for it, without having any IDPA stages set up to practice on? I have a standard 25yd range with benches, and a steel plate pit at my range.

Thanks
Dave
Old March 13, 2008, 11:31 AM   #2
PaulBk

[Don asbestos boxers]

An airsoft replica of your CCW would be a great training aid. You can easily set up the qualifier / stages and safely practice the basics at home.

[/Doff asbestos boxers]

-Paul
Old March 13, 2008, 11:57 AM   #3
O6nop

My biggest problem is conditioning myself to line up the sights. I tend to want to point and shoot. I miss a lot that way, usually high.

If you can't find a range that allows holster draw or move and shoot -

Stand at low ready and bring your weapon up to your target, take the time to line up the sights. Do this several times shooting once each time. Try different distances. Then start double tap and do it again.

Another idea is with an UNLOADED gun, Airsoft gun or dummy gun, walk back and forth, sideways, forward, backwards with gun at low ready and periodically line your sights up on various 'targets' while you continue to move. You can do this in the privacy of your home, yard, basement or garage.

Lots of dry-firing.

This is by no means 'professional' advice, so take it as you will.
Old March 13, 2008, 12:00 PM   #4
bt 223

Practice mag changes. IDPA requires two types of reloads, one with the mag having been fully expended, drop the mag and replace. The other requires you to retain a partially spent mag. You will get penalized if you drop a loaded magazine on the ground. Also practice your draw, In IDPA you must draw from concealment. Mag changes, Drawstroke, and draw and dry fire.