The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 18, 2011, 09:40 AM   #51
MO_Hillbilly

question for LEO's

What is your reaction when you stop a car and walk up to it, and the person driving is packing and its in full view, or laying on the seat next to him...

I only ask because when I had to carry for my job I was stopped twice and one LEO was rude and pulled his gun while the other that stopped me just had me get out and then he took my gun until he was done....

my permits were good and the job was Fed. just not LEO
Old November 18, 2011, 02:44 PM   #52
farmerboy

He'd better be LEO, Here in Texas with a conceiled license that what that means is conceiled. Every cop in their personal vehicle aint that stupid anyway or the ones that I stopped werent to have gun in plain site even if the can. If I walked up to a vehicle and they had a handgun on the seat I definitely would draw my weapon until we got it figured out. I do plan on going home after my shift.. In Texas if you get pulled over, leave conceiled gun conceiled. Wait for officer to ask for your information and give it and tell him you have a conceiled weapon in vehicle. I ask where and tell him to not reach around it and we continue in the reason for the stop and I usually let the person continue on. Im not one of those who hear of gun and want to remove it, unload it, and everything else.. The best thing is let the officer be aware first off. I hear of alot of others stating they are from another state who dont have to let the officer know in Texas, fine but if I have probable cause to search a vehicle and find a weapon it may not work in their favor. I'll say this it certainly wont speed things up
Old November 18, 2011, 02:57 PM   #53
Noreaster

Didn't read the article, but in answer to your question, yeah you have to stop for the lights, ID, or badge. I have worked many plain clothes, unmarked assignments and I've done stops and made arrest. Worked drugs for several years and never wore a uniform or drove anything like a police package, but still made stops and arrest per my assignment. M.G.L. Ch. 90 sec. 25; operator must stop for a blue lights or police officer who has his badge displayed. No mention of marked cruiser or uniform in that law! If the single female driver goes to the nearest well lit parking lot it's common sense for the LEO making the stop. If you rob a bank that the FBI is sitting on and several agents try to stop you, (they don't have cruisers or uniforms,) you had better stop and submit.
Old November 18, 2011, 06:00 PM   #54
MO_Hillbilly

well farmerboy the one that stopped me and pulled his gun done it with mine in its holster and my hands on the steering wheel as there was no way to let him know and i didnt want him scared. The one that had me get out, without drawing his gun , it was sitting on the seat and I had my hands on the wheel ..oh and one other detail both times my plates were federal plates
Old November 18, 2011, 06:25 PM   #55
farmerboy

Can't speak for no one but myself, but like i said I'd let the officer know up front and it is sometimes stressful out there by yourself at three I'n the morning and your nearest backup is 20 min away. And then you have multiple people and gun or guns are found. And if you find a gun does that mean you found the only one there? Don't know just the officer trying to protect himself and sure there are people who shouldn't get to be officers too. But this isn't a perfect world. And personally I'd be the same, if it was a legit stop i wouldn't care the plates federal or not.

Last edited by farmerboy; November 18, 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old December 6, 2011, 09:25 AM   #56
secret_agent_man

Interesting set of photos on police approach to stopped vehicles:
http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/ne...#photo-1862808
Old December 6, 2011, 12:24 PM   #57
Ruark

Showing a badge or ID doesn't mean squat these days, especially when it's dark. Heck, anybody can buy a replica police badge, e.g.:

http://www.lawmanbadge.com/

www.epolicesupply.com/

For all that matters, you can buy very convincing toy plastic badges in a toy store.

I've often wondered what I'd do if some plainclothes guy pulled me over in an unmarked car in an isolated location and showed me his "badge."
Old December 6, 2011, 02:12 PM   #58
Mike38

Quote:
The minivan I saw was in Southern IL, it seems IL has a penchant for odd unmarked cars, although a lime green focus would have been even funnier than the minivan to see
Law Enforcement in Illinois absolutely loves to confiscate vehicles. From local small town police, game wardens, to State Troopers. If there is a way, real or made up, they do everything they can to confiscate your vehicle. The less then perfect vehicles get sold for funding for the Departments. The nice ones get saved and used as duty vehicles. If you own a newer Mustang, Camero, Challenger etc, and have a roach in the ashtray, you might as well hand the officer the keys when he walks up to you on a traffic stop. The car will no longer be yours.

I went to school with a guy that’s Illinois State Trooper. Right now he has a lime green 2010 Dodge Charger as his duty car. Before that was a fire engine red 2000ish Camero. All confiscated vehicles.

But getting back on topic. Would I stop for an unmarked patrol car? Yep. Most are in Illinois. But if a non-uniformed person stepped out, it would be a different story. I would lock up my car and call 911 to confirm if it was a valid stop. I would tell the person that stopped me, through the locked door and closed window what I was doing. If he didn’t like that, it’s too damn bad. My safety is every bit as important as his / her safety.