The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 2, 2011, 08:39 PM   #1
xMINORxTHREATx

How would you have reacted?

This happened a while ago and I figured I would post it up and see what you guys think you would have done.

First off, right now I live in a not-so-good neighborhood in a two story building. The first floor is all commercial units and the second floor has four apartments, with access to the second floor being in a parking lot behind the building, door leading straight to the stairs going up into a common hallway.

I pulled in and shut off my car, but sat there for a minute texting someone on my phone. I noticed someone walking through the parking lot towards the building and didn't recognize them. It's already dark out, just dim streetlights, and the person (subject?) was wearing jeans, hoodie with hood up and hands in pockets.

He made a bee-line straight for the first door on the backside of the building, (backdoor to empty commercial unit) stood in front of it for a second, then moved the second door (entrance to apartments.) He stood there for a second, then opened the door (neighbors constantly "forget" to lock the door) looked in, then closed it and moved on. He didn't seem skittish, acted like he knew exactly what he was doing. He never looked over his shoulder or anything. It was kind of eerie how calm he seemed for trying to break into a building. He continued on and stood in front of the third and fourth doors (commercial units) then walked back out to the alley and went back in the direction he came. He didn't seem skittish, acted like he knew exactly what he was doing. He never looked over his shoulder or anything. It was kind of eerie how calm he seemed for trying to break into a building.

STOP. How would you have reacted?

This is what I did.

I observed this all from my car, I was carrying, but decided to wait it out. No one was home (kids were at Mom's, and girlfriend was at work) so I didn't want to approach him unless he entered the building. If something were to have happened, and somehow I got injured, I'm not sure if my neighbors were home (no cars in parking lot, no lights on in building) so if I couldn't dial 911, I would be screwed. Once he walked away and out of sight, I got out of the car, checked my weapon, and peeked around the corner in time to see him stumble, and almost fall, then enter the backdoor of a bar down the alley.
I left it at that and walked back to the building, where I noticed all the doors were now wet, and smelled vaguely like a gas station rest room. I guess all the stalls were full at the bar.

Last edited by xMINORxTHREATx; November 2, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old November 2, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2
xMINORxTHREATx

Also, do you think that someone's weariness of their surroundings will create more "false situations" (like this one) than need be?
Old November 2, 2011, 08:56 PM   #3
Casimer

If he didn't enter the open door, and didn't try to force the locked doors, then he wasn't trying to break into anything. You probably saw a guy who was confused as to where he was and once he realized that move on. No harm no foul.
Old November 2, 2011, 09:24 PM   #4
briandg

Well, that was a plain weird story. I probably would not have reacted at all. Public area, public buildings, public doors. Until he went into one, including the outer door to the residences, he hasn't done anything illegal, and this is only vaguely suspicious or threatening. We have no idea of his motivation or intent.

I agree. Sit tight. Wait it out. If he goes on and keeps trying doors, well, call 911 and report that a possible burglar is going through the neighborhood trying doors. maybe if you could have done it discreetly, you could have watched him as he went on, as you did, to provide further information to police, if you called.

I'm not sure that entering that outer door to the apartments would be illegal entry. It was open, and even though he has no business there, is it illegal? dunno.

One thing, I congratulate and thank you for not just blowing it off.
That could have been zodiac, and my grandmother may have lived in the apartment across the hall from you. We gotta watch out for each other, and you did.
Old November 2, 2011, 09:44 PM   #5
ltc444

I think you did everything right. The only thing I would have done differently is I would have notified the police.

If a break in occurred later and you were forced to react it would be a matter of record.

The activity might fit into a pattern which the police were investigating.

Or it might have been ignored. Never the less it could be of help.
Old November 2, 2011, 09:47 PM   #6
briandg

You may be right. Maybe it should have been called in. I don't know if I would have.
Old November 2, 2011, 10:16 PM   #7
xMINORxTHREATx

In hindsight, he was just peeing on doors, to be blunt.

But while it was happening, I felt like I should be on my guard. I think I have an over active imagination, and that I just expect the worst scenario too much. Am I the only one that does this, or is it common?

I mean, at first, he didn't appear drunk or anything, and if I didn't notice the puddles by the doors, I would have called it in. But a serial thief and a serial door pee-er are two different worlds. Once I realized what happened, I just ignored it, after spraying down the doors with a water hose of course.
Old November 3, 2011, 07:25 AM   #8
Dwight55

Peeing on door knobs definitely falls into the category of deviant behavior.

One of the pillars of deviant behavior, is that if it is not faced and corrected, it will almost every time get even worse, as the perp feels he either "got away with it" or "it wasn't bad enough to warrant attention".

A second pillar is that it is done to get attention.

In either case, it will provoke a "stronger" behavior next time.

Alerting the police to this person may get him the help he needs.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old November 3, 2011, 07:38 AM   #9
Skans

I would have called 911 on my cell phone and reported what was going on. That's easy. Your are safe, in your car. You have your phone in your hand - just dial 911 and report it.
Old November 3, 2011, 07:47 AM   #10
ClayInTx

All the doors were wet? This means he is a serial urinater.

He can pee on more than one door? This means he has a high capacity magazine... uh, bladder.

Police bulletin:
Serial urinator on the loose.
Short-armed and dangerous.
Do not approach unless wearing boots.
If seen please notify Municipal Sewage Plant.
Wet, uh... wait for further instructions.
Old November 3, 2011, 11:35 AM   #11
Stressfire

Quote:
All the doors were wet? This means he is a serial urinater.
Wow, that's a new one. I'm not entirely sure that police would even respond to that under normal circumstances.

I will say, however, that in the town I went to college in, the city had no charge for public urination - they would, however, charge you as though you had been "pleasuring" yourself in public - sex offender registration and the whole bit. So if someone called in a drunk peeing on a building, the cops responded quick.
Old November 3, 2011, 11:55 AM   #12
Dennis1209

In the sovereign nation of Dennis1209ville, public urination is a capitol offense, punishable by one swing of the aluminum baseball bat to Frick and Frack

When I leave my country and in public, IMMOB and give a wide birth to wet spots that aren't suppose to be there, and I'm always in condition yellow.
Old November 3, 2011, 03:56 PM   #13
old bear

Quote:
If he didn't enter the open door, and didn't try to force the locked doors, then he wasn't trying to break into anything. You probably saw a guy who was confused as to where he was and once he realized that move on. No harm no foul.
AA +1.

There is a fine line between being aware of what is happening and being paranoid, I think the lien was crossed in this case.

the main thing though is no one was harmed.
Old November 3, 2011, 05:11 PM   #14
MrWesson

Quote:
Also, do you think that someone's weariness of their surroundings will create more "false situations" (like this one) than need be?
yup
Old November 4, 2011, 01:42 PM   #15
south.texas.dead.I

Would've done the same thing waited it out if something erupted I'd probably step into the situation.

iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 19, 2011, 12:04 PM   #16
ClayInTx

Quote:
When I leave my country and in public, IMMOB and give a wide birth to wet spots that aren't suppose to be there, and I'm always in condition yellow.
Assault by a serial urinator always puts you into "condition yellow".
Old November 20, 2011, 12:38 AM   #17
Ideal Tool

Sounds like a cat burgler...just markin his territory!
Old November 20, 2011, 04:32 AM   #18
Pond, James Pond

I think you reacted well to two unusual things:
  • behaviour that was abnormal for that environment: Nice SA
  • evidently excellent pelvic-floor control: credit where credit is due
Old November 20, 2011, 06:24 AM   #19
manta49

I think the answer is obvious if you are concerned ring the police.

They get payed for dealing suspicious activity real or imagined.