The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 31, 2011, 04:41 PM   #1
603Country

Checking sights, with the Big Buck watching

With the wife out of town, there wouldn't be any complaints about noise, so this afternoon I decided that I should check the scope zero on my 270. Deer season fires up this coming Saturday. I shot a nice group and tweaked the scope just a bit to get it perfect, and then dragged out the 260 and the 220 and the 223 and checked them out. All was perfect, which gave me particular comfort regarding the Burris FFII on the 260. I had been afraid that the zero was wandering, but it appears that the real problem has just me causing the rifle muzzle to wander. I do like that scope, which is the only non Leupold that I have. Anyway, it did occur to me that maybe my blasting away on my range might run off all the smart bucks, and that wouldn't be smart of me with opening day only a few days off. Well, I figured that what's done is done, so while I was running a patch through the barrel of the 223, I looked to my right and there was a really really nice 8 point (tall wide rack) just watching me and eating acorns. Maybe he was 75 yards away, and so close to where I had been shooting that I could see both the target and him in my field of vision. I watched him for a while, with the crosshairs on him, and I sure hope I get to see him this weekend. I really did think they were smarter than that, but maybe he knows what day the season opens and was just trusting me to be a law abiding citizen.
Old October 31, 2011, 05:47 PM   #2
huntinaz

It's a well known fact that deer will taunt, mock, and otherwise aggravate hunters during the off-season. As soon as the season starts, the deer will instinctively move miles away from hunters and become extremely elusive. My guess he will make a multi-state trek friday night before the season opens...but good luck

It's always nice when a scope holds zero. Yesterday I took my old 30-06 out for some pre-season shooting. The old Weaver K-4 is still zeroed at 200 yards and ready to whack an elk in about a month. Can't wait.
Old October 31, 2011, 07:09 PM   #3
Hog Buster

Yeah, he’ll be in Phoenix tomorrow, in some deer bar, telling how he taunted some Texas hunter, yesterday.......
Old October 31, 2011, 07:20 PM   #4
jrothWA

In a word...

Nah-nah, nah-nah.

Last you'll see of him, till the day after season closes.

Good Luck!
Old October 31, 2011, 08:53 PM   #5
kraigwy

I have a 400 yard range in my back yard. Several times I'd be shooting and notice deer close by. They don't seem to care.

I've had them in my horse trough 35 yards away or eating my hay. Shooting don't seem to bother them at all.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071