The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 4, 2001, 08:17 PM   #26
LASur5r

Safe house?

hey Lance,
Cool...safe space..can we hear from others as to what they'd like to have in their safe space?

Spectre,
Good to hear from you again, man... Been there, seen that...I think the city got sued for some major bucks for taking down the wrong house on not being heads up...used the LAPD Winnebago to take down what they thought was a reinforced building drug house...knocked down the house sharing the same driveway.

Anyway, I was thinking for folks with raised foundations...maybe a trap door, drop into a "tunnel" to escape or hit a "safe room"?
Saw it on one of the houses owned by the Hollywood bank dudes.

It's coming as far as Beverly Hills folks are concerned...talked to a contractor the other day...he's built several in the last couple years for the Hollyweird folks.
Also talked to several soCal people...counted 7 in the last three years who have been or know personally someone who has had a home invasion robbery. Price of living in soCal.
Heard one of them was the mayor of a local town. She jumped all over the chief....but what could he do? Can't be there 24/7. She was anti-gun...fairly instant conversion.
Old February 5, 2001, 05:13 PM   #27
Country Boy

My reaction, if I am at the farm and if I have time to think clearly:
1) get everybody (tenants included) to your safe room, shutting off lights as you go (gotta keep that night vision)
2) call your local sheriff's dept. inform them of the situation
3) arm everyone who is competent and capable, getting a couple to cover the window (if applicable)
4) we have plenty of fairly well armed neighbors, so I would not hesitate about informing them of the situation and asking them to drive over and take a look around, warning them beforehand about the probable seriousness of the situation
5) we have some business-band radios for farming, so if after 10 minutes or so, I would be tempted to take a look around as long as I could communicate back to the safe room. the smart thing would be to stay in the room and be the defender, but if they have shot my dog and cut my phone line, I would be tempted to think that the best defense is a good offense.
6) pray, and start stacking magazines
Old February 5, 2001, 06:37 PM   #28
ERRainman

see coming reply in thread "What makes a good safe room?"
Old February 6, 2001, 10:41 AM   #29
nbk2000

Country Boy:

"1) get everybody (tenants included) to your safe room,..."

What if one of your tenants is in cahoots with the BGs? Maybe he saw something he thought was worth taking and his buddies are the ones outside.

Personally, if they're not family, screw 'em. Just because your renting from me doesn't mean I'm obligated to protect you. Hell, you might might be a mole for all I know.

I'll toss out a taser or something non-firearm out the gunport to them once I've got my family safely inside, and let them take their chances outside.