The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 6, 2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Nate2003

Drum won't load, MAK 90

Hi guys! First time posting on this forum. Looks like a very active one with many members so hopefully this one will be a good one to stick around with.

I ran into a dilemma the other day. My father passed down to me a 75 round drum he had previously for his MAK 90 but and it seems to not load into my rifle but works fine in his.

Both of these rifles are Norinco MAK 90s that have a serial starting with 93. On top of that this drum is made by Nornico.

I stripped down my rifle to inspect further and compare my rifle against his. To the best of my ability it seems the one pin that has a rod going across the receiver is making contact with the drum and not allowing it to be pushed any further into my rifle. I can load 30 round mags into it smoothly though no problems. Maybe this drum just has a little bit higher wall or whatever the term is that's pushed into the rifle.

Here's a picture I took showing the markings on the rod I talked about from where the drum has been hitting it from my previous loading attempts.

made in China Norinco drum

back part of drum where the back top edge is making contact with rod

Have any of you guys seen this happen before? Possibly a slight manufacturing issue..

Anyone have some ideas on what I should do?

Thanks for the advice, hope be to hanging around a good while.

Last edited by Nate2003; January 6, 2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old January 6, 2009, 09:25 PM   #2
SDC

Where exactly is the mag hanging up when you try to rotate it into the rifle? If it's just part of those curved ribs at the back of the mag above the catch, then it's nothing that can't be solved with a few minutes and a file, but if it's not hooking into the front properly, or the mag is too wide, then that's a whole other set of issues.
Old January 6, 2009, 09:37 PM   #3
Nate2003

thanks for such a quick response

This is the part of the drum that I'm like 90% certain is making contact with the rod showed in the first picture when loading from front to back as AK mags are loaded. Everything else seems to fit fine, the width is fine and the front is hooked up underneath the groove as should be. The back just can't be pushed up enough to complete that see saw action to have it locked in place.

Old January 7, 2009, 12:53 PM   #4
SDC

If you get a grease pencil or chalk stick from a stationary store, then rub the edges of the mag with it, you should be able to see exactly where it's hitting.
Old January 7, 2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Nate2003

so far I've just taken a strip of paper to see if it became wedged between that area I'm referring to which it appeared it did, but I'll do this as well to back up my claim
Old January 28, 2009, 04:08 PM   #6
Nate2003

I figured I'd post what I've done to resolve this. Merely took a file and shaved off a little on the side towards the top of the area I circled in green on the drum.

Tags
drum , load , mak 90 , won't