The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 15, 2016, 10:54 PM   #1
punisher716

Beretta 92FS Wear

I've been gunsmithing for quite some time. I have the opportunity to get a "well loved" Beretta 92FS for $320. I was just wondering how many rounds it can take without major internal wear.

I plan on buying it (obviously) then giving it a cerakote finish (it's been loved). New grips and new internals where needed.

In instances of HEAVY wear, what parts are then in need of replacing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old December 15, 2016, 11:21 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

New recoil spring is probably a good idea.

If it looks like it's had a lot of rounds through it (i.e. more than 15K) then a locking block kit from Beretta probably makes sense.
Old December 16, 2016, 01:00 AM   #3
Southrnshooter

I bought one used in pristine condition for $420 at my LGS. Just remember they don't hold their value like they REALLY should and you can often find used, in great shape cheap. Keep that in mind when you look at this one.
Old December 16, 2016, 07:42 AM   #4
amd6547

I would replace the locking block on a "well used" 92. Beretta sells a locking block kit that includes the latest generation block, the required new pin, and a recoil spring. It's a good deal at about $35.
Old December 16, 2016, 10:05 AM   #5
pblanc

During the trials conducted by the US Army before the M9 was adopted, Beretta 92FS pistols went over 30,000 rounds without failure.

If you don't know the round count, I would go ahead and replace the recoil spring and locking block regardless how they look.

Most Beretta 92FS owners are happier with reduced power main springs such as the 16 lb D spring than they are with the standard 20 lb spring so you may just want to go ahead and swap that.

Earlier 92FS models were known to occasionally have failures of the trigger return springs. The spring was later beefed up by Beretta.

Since you have gunsmithing experience and springs are cheap, you may want to just go ahead and detail strip the pistol and swap out the trigger bar spring, sear spring, and slide catch spring as well. That will give you a chance to closely examine all of the internals. Examine the slots in the frame where the lugs on the locking block engage for any cracks. Unless any internal parts show signs of high wear or damage, I don't think I would replace anything else.
Old December 16, 2016, 03:20 PM   #6
iraiam

I can tell you a standard Beretta 92FS will take one heck of a lot of rounds through it. My oldest one (20+ years) has at least 15K rounds through it of nothing but NATO and +P rounds. The only thing I have done to it is replace the springs every few thousand rounds. I also run a lighter "D" hammer spring in all of mine, all other springs are stock.

As far as wear goes, there really isn't much of any yet, the only thing you can really see it some finish wear on the Aluminum the slide lugs, but even that wear is only on a portion of the lug. The locking block also has some wear that you can really only call finish wear.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Tags
92fs , beretta