The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2012, 11:43 PM   #51
son-of-a-gun

thanks gator weiss and @strafer gott for your professional input.

thanks also @willi d. - but don't test that - if you ever want to use your firing hand again
Old September 18, 2012, 12:11 AM   #52
JohnKSa
Staff

I don't think it's possible to say that there's no way for the hammer to fall from full-cock to half-cock without a part breaking.

Dropping the pistol could, in my opinion, bounce things around enough to possibly cause the hammer to be bumped out of the full-cock notch which could leave the hammer at half-cock.

It's theoretically even possible that the hammer fell all the way to the "fired" position when dropped and was partially recocked to the half-cock position when the officer kicked it away from the body. It wouldn't have fired when the hammer dropped because the passive firing pin safety would have blocked the firing pin from reaching the primer.

The possibility of such things happening is the reason that passive safeties and half-cock notches exist.

Unfortunately, rigorously testing any of these theories would involve abusing the gun more than most are likely willing to do. I know I won't be doing any drop tests with my Berettas.

I can say, with confidence that there is no way to chamber a round by moving the slide only far enough to the rear to leave the pistol half-cocked.

It's not very common to see a pistol with a decocker left with the hammer half-cocked intentionally. When manually decocking some guns, it can be somewhat tricky to get the hammer all the way to the fired position and it's not uncommon ot see the half-cocked position used under those circumstances. However, the decocker makes it easy to get the hammer all the way down safely. In fact, some recommend against using the half-cock position for carry. They consider the half-cock notch to be a safety feature and don't want to risk wearing or damaging it by using the half-cock position lest it fail to function as intended due to wear or damage when it is needed.

Some do carry DA/SA pistols with the hammer half-cocked for one reason or another. Generally because they feel it makes the initial DA trigger pull easier to manage.
Old September 18, 2012, 06:09 AM   #53
son-of-a-gun

thanks@ johnksa for your professional opinion on that issue.

And thanks once again to all that have taken part and helped me solve some important questions that someone who is not that familiar with beretta 92 handling might have had.

You've been of great help for me. by now I know more than I had hoped for

Good luck for you all.
Old September 19, 2012, 01:53 AM   #54
raimius

Maybe someone with M9 armorer experience can sanity check this, but would it be possible that the safety lever snagged on something in its slide across the floor, just enough to release the hammer from fully cocked but not enough to fully decock it? Depending on the surface and which side of the safety/decocker was against the floor, it might have snagged on something.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:24 AM   #55
bgalipo

Beretta 92FS

I'm about ready to buy a 92FS. I rented one at the local range and really like the way it feels. Also I can shoot it allot straighter than my Ruger 40. When I pointed out what I wanted at the local shop the owner tried to steer me away from it and pushed a Taurus. He said Beretta's quality was down and they're customer service was no good. He also said the Taurus was more accurate. I think he was just pushing Taurus. What do you guys think?

The price for the stainless 92FS w/ 2 mags $770 new.

Bud

Tags
92fs , beretta , hammer , savety