The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 17, 2012, 10:24 AM   #1
jlb43

Where do they get this stuff?

Whilst browsing the online gun auctions the other day I noticed how many sellers there are that seem to have an endless inventory. One guy whom I have bought from just seems to come up with guns to wet my whistle. I know there are some companies that take consignments to auction off but are there that many? Where do they get this stuff?
Old May 17, 2012, 12:15 PM   #2
arcticap

Just imagine if you had a gun or pawn business or had a long time interest in gun collecting. People would either be bringing guns directly to you to trade in or to help them liquidate, or you would be attending live auctions where there are more of them for sale.
Live firearm and/or estate auctions are fairly prevalent around the country and some do offer live online bidding during the auction.
And in many places, the guns that police departments confiscate are auctioned off on a regular basis. For instance, the police will sometimes confiscate entire gun collections from people who have been arrested and/or convicted of certain crimes.

Last edited by arcticap; May 17, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Hardcase

My friend who owns a pawn shop has a very steady flow of guns in and out of the store. He used to be one of those endless listers on Gunbroker, but gave it up about a year ago due to the hassles of non-paying bidders and folks who wanted something for nothing.

It's good for me, but bad for my wallet I usually get first crack at whatever comes in the shop or out of pawn.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:45 AM   #4
g.willikers

I knew a guy who spent most of his salary on buying guns.
He collected guns like some guys collect watches or pez dispensers.
He probably had more than the typical large gun store.
Maybe his kids are selling off their inheritance on the auctions.
And judging from some of the conversations on forums, there's lots of guys like him.
Bless their compulsive hearts.