The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 7, 2012, 05:06 PM   #1
Jerry45

Fire lapping a used barrel?

For the sake of trying to give as much information as needed to answer my question, here goes:

Remington 700 30/06 that is bear to clean. It’s plenty accurate but takes a good amount of patching with Boar Tech Eliminator even after only 10 to 20 rounds have gone down the pipe. The rifle is a 70’s vintage bought new by me for hunting and wasn’t “broken in” other than shooting it and running one Hoppies patch a couple of dry patches then an oil patch down the boar after shooting (usually 5 to 10 rounds). This was done for less than 150 rounds EVERY time I went shooting.

The rifle now had more that 300 but less than 500 rounds of jacketed bullets through it. It has been cleaned religiously, since the original 150 or so rounds with copper/carbon solvent, Hoppies #9 until patches came out clean, over the course of the last year and one half and the last couple of months with Boar Tech Eliminator until “completely clean". I’m sure I’ve gotten all the carbon and copper buildup out but it still takes a good bit of cleaning during and after a range session which leads to my question. Will this barrel benefit from fire lapping or is pretty well lapped from all the shooting and or is the dirt/carbon/copper imbedded too deeply into the pours to benefit from fire lapping? Or perhaps it just needs more seasoning with Boar Tech?
Old April 7, 2012, 06:28 PM   #2
hooligan1

Jerry I found that mostly it don't have to be spotless. It may seem like it takes forever to swab out a barrel until the patches are clean but actually it really is okay if it aint spotless. Some rifle shooters say they don't clean until after their rifle start to shoot badly and then only enough to regain accuracy.
If your getting clean patches with Bore Tech Eliminator your getting that barrel clean man. I had a fouling problem with my Vanguard, and I clean it until I can't see any fouling in the muzzle (like the first inch or so) and my rifle shoots just fine.
Old April 7, 2012, 08:11 PM   #3
Jerry45

Me thinks you could be right. I'm just to darn anal.
Old April 7, 2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Hello123

Is it shooting poorly? If not I would not clean it. Sloppy cleaning techniques by the average joe damage a lot of guns. As particular as you seem, you are probably cleaning properly.

I do the following. Using a bore guide, a carbon rod, brass brush for large bores and nylon for .22 caliber, run a wet brush one way through. I don't like to pull the brush back across the muzzle. I would do this a few times. let it sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Wipe it out until reasonably clean and dry. Run a oiled patch through and your done.
Old April 7, 2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Jerry45

It almost always shoots MOA at 100 yards. I was hoping to improve on that. So no it isn’t shooting poorly.

I’ve started using Boar Tech Eliminator and I’m following the instructions to the letter. My Savage .223 cleans up first cleaning according to the instructions. 06 takes at least three times. After the responses I’ve received here and on another board I’ve come to the conclusion I’m just being to anal about the 06. It shoots just fine for a factory hunting rifle. Actuall shoots better than the Savage .223. I’m just trying to make more out of it than it real is. Every now and then It/I shoot a ¼ MOA one hole five shot group at 100 yards. I just want to do it all the time.
Old April 8, 2012, 06:19 AM   #6
hooligan1

IF it does it once in awhile, then it's you that needs a good scrubbing!!
Old April 8, 2012, 06:59 AM   #7
ohen cepel

I would accept it for what it is and not mess with it. If it was shooting 4MOA groups I would give fire lapping a try. However, if it can shoot 1/4in I would not mess with it. Can see it getting worse, but probably won't get better than that.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old April 8, 2012, 07:57 AM   #8
JimPage

I doubt you will hurt it fire lapping the barrel. Move rapidly down from the coarser to the fine grits. Be sure to clean the previous grit out before you start the finer grits. It does wonders for the bore.

You'll find good instructions on the internets.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old April 8, 2012, 11:04 AM   #9
Jerry45

Quote:
IF it does it once in awhile, then it's you that needs a good scrubbing!!

I pretty much already knew that but didn’t want to admit it. Thanks of outing me.
Old April 8, 2012, 06:45 PM   #10
hooligan1

No charge!!! Thanks for Coming!!!
Old April 9, 2012, 08:35 AM   #11
melchloboo

you might get a small benefit from jb bore paste every 500 or 1000 rounds.

if cleaning really bothers you, you could also consider a moly treatment to the barrel and moly coated bullets.
Old April 9, 2012, 09:02 AM   #12
brickeyee

Quote:
It’s plenty accurate
Then leave it alone beyond regular cleaning
Old April 9, 2012, 09:14 AM   #13
thallub

Quote:
Then leave it alone beyond regular cleaning
+1
When accuracy goes south i get out the Hoppe's Bench Rest and remove some fouling, but not all.
Old April 9, 2012, 05:15 PM   #14
Jerry45

I was thought to clean my guns every time I use them. That included my .22 LR. If I went in the woods and didn’t fire a shot my gun got cleaned anyway. I just can’t get my head around this not cleaning them until the accuracy drops off. I didn’t cleaned my .22 LR bolt gun the last two times I used it. I left the board dirty on my .22 LR semy auto last time I shot it but I could not NOT clean the action. I’ll shoot the 06 a few times without cleaning the boar and see what happens but it really goes against my nature to put a rifle away dirty.
Old April 9, 2012, 08:22 PM   #15
Hello123

To me cleaning has to have a purpose. It makes sense to wipe down the outer steel to eliminate salt from your hands. It makes sense to dry and lightly oil a barrel if it has been in the rain. It makes sense to oil a barrel if it is stored in a poor way, such as a case that doesn't breath or in high humidity conditions. It makes no sense to clean a barrel that isn't shooting poorly, could be damaged with excessive cleaning, especially when the carbon and copper placed in it are not bothering a thing. It is not abuse to leave well enough alone.
Old April 10, 2012, 12:14 PM   #16
Jerry45

I live in SE Louisiana. The humidity is through the roof. I’ve seen guns / bores that haven’t been properly cared for full of rust. I think that has added to my phobia.
Old April 10, 2012, 08:57 PM   #17
Hello123

Understandable. In that case, I would buy a bore snake and some clp. Pull it through the bore and your done.
Old April 10, 2012, 09:14 PM   #18
Jerry45

Already have the snake. Already tried the snake. Could use the snake again.