The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 15, 2010, 09:18 PM   #1
dieselguy

Name in gunstock.

Hi everyone. I am currently in the process of putting a boyds thumbhole stock my remington 1100. Since this was handed down to me from my grandmother and I plan to keep it in the family I want to somehow add my last name in the fore stock, and put my grandmothers name on the buttstock. My first thought was to wood burn it in, but me and a couple other family members have been practicing our wood burning skills and none of us are yet confident enough to attempt burning on the actual stock yet. My other thought was since I'm also duracoating the gun, was to spray it on with duracoat, but I won't be able to get the thin lettering I want on the butt stock. Was just wondering if any of you have done anything like this, and how you did it. Thanks.
Old October 15, 2010, 09:41 PM   #2
thebodhitree

is it an 1100 or a model 11?
Old October 15, 2010, 09:50 PM   #3
dieselguy

It's an early 90's 1100. the stock is American walnut also, I forgot to mention that.
Old October 16, 2010, 06:59 PM   #4
burrhead

I wouldn’t do it but it’s your gun. That said, try a good jewelry store to do the engraving then use a dark wood stain (walnut?) to accentuate the lettering.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old October 17, 2010, 12:42 AM   #5
guncrank

I just use my rotory engraving tool to crave it in the stock
CEW
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old October 17, 2010, 07:39 PM   #6
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
CNC Laser !
Old October 17, 2010, 08:47 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't think of any carving in the wood that would look good and not cost a lot. How about having a jeweler engrave a small brass plate with both names and dates and inlay it into the stock?

Jim
Old October 17, 2010, 10:33 PM   #8
HiBC

As the gentleman said,laser engraving it is not a bad idea.I think Brownells still sells little shield shaped medallions that can be inlaid.These can be engraved by a trophy shop.I'd talk to a guy in a trophy shop.
I'd suggest go easy,
Old October 18, 2010, 08:39 PM   #9
dieselguy

thanks for the great ideas, I will have to give these some thoughts.
Old October 23, 2010, 07:31 PM   #10
sourdough44

I have a custom gun where my initials are engraved in a 'grip cap'. I have also brought a few gun parts to a jeweler for engraving, rather inexpensive.
Old October 26, 2010, 10:39 AM   #11
langenc

Depending on the quality of the wood, the proposed 'engravings' seem a little radical..
Old October 26, 2010, 11:17 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

laser
Old October 26, 2010, 07:00 PM   #13
smoakingun

maybe add a fore end cap and a grip cap for the engraving? If not, maybe find a luthier (guitar builder) to do an inlay in the stock?
Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.
Old October 27, 2010, 02:41 PM   #14
swmike

Check out your local "Trophy Shop". They get "Laser Engraving" done on wood plaques all the time. It can even be filled with a contrasting material after done for a smooth surface and an "Inlay" look.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old October 31, 2010, 06:53 PM   #15
dieselguy

Well While I've been working alot of overtime, my mother practiced a little more with the woodburner and got to where she felt confident she could burn on the gunstock. I just started putting the finish on the stock tonight, along with duracoat on the gun. I will get pics up in the next couple days. Thanks again for all the ideas.
Old October 31, 2010, 08:46 PM   #16
phydaux

"Check out your local "Trophy Shop". They get "Laser Engraving" done on wood plaques all the time."

Wow. This is SUCH a good idea. Why haven't I seen more rifles & shotguns with all kinds of stuff lazer engraved on the wood hardware?
Old November 1, 2010, 12:13 AM   #17
phydaux

OK, I've done just a little googleing about what can be done on a gun with a lazer engraver, and all I can say is Oh My GOD!

I am going to have the stock & foregrip of every rifle & shotgun I own lazer engraved!

And if you get the right engraver, then you can lazer engrave steel.

My guns are going to be EPIC!
Old November 1, 2010, 08:06 AM   #18
cerberus65

Quote:
Why haven't I seen more rifles & shotguns with all kinds of stuff lazer engraved on the wood hardware?
I can think of a couple of reasons.

Once it's done it can never been undone. What you think is EPIC today might change (check that, is pretty likely to change over the decades).

Resale value goes poof! in most cases because what you think is EPIC is almost guaranteed not to line up with what someone else thinks is EPIC.

Very few gun folks really seem to go for that kind of decoration on a gun. At least based on what I've seen on several gun boards over the last couple of years.

I'm sorry to rain on your parade but like a tattoo this really seems like something you ought to think really hard about before jumping into. The effects are permanent...

If you do decide to do it - best of luck! and be sure to check back in with pics. We always like pics. :-)
Old November 1, 2010, 08:47 AM   #19
phydaux

"Resale value goes poof!"

Wait, you mean there are people who sell their guns?
Old November 1, 2010, 09:06 AM   #20
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
One of the services I offer my customers is laser engraving . I can take a picture of their Trophy , photo shop it into line art and put it on their stock . I have one guy who has had it done to three of his guns and he is tickled pink with them . One Remington , one Sako , and one Browning . My rifles will never leave my family , so I put a little personal touch on each one , I'd like my Grandsons to remember me when I'm gone !
Old November 1, 2010, 03:27 PM   #21
cerberus65

Quote:
Wait, you mean there are people who sell their guns?
Good point!

And thanks for a good laugh. :-)

I have actually sold two guns and am trying to sell a third. But it has always been a case of I already have one of these that I like better so I might as well get rid of the one I don't like/use as much.
Old November 1, 2010, 04:46 PM   #22
dieselguy

Yeah, if your worried about resale I wouldn't do it, The only reason I did it to this gun is that it was my grandmothers gun that she hand down to me on my 16th birthday. I had to change stocks on it anyway since she is alot smaller than me and had it cut down to fit her. Since this gun was handed down to me I will never sell it, and I will expect the same from the family member I hand this down too, I figured I would but the family name on it, along with my grandmothers name who orginally bought the gun.
Old November 1, 2010, 07:32 PM   #23
phydaux

"it was my grandmothers gun that she hand down to me on my 16th birthday... I will never sell it, and I will expect the same from the family member I hand this down to"

That sums up my attitude about firearms exactly - Buy quality, the best you can afford, and take good care of them, because one day they will belong to your grandchildren.
Old November 2, 2010, 04:49 PM   #24
dieselguy

Here's the pics

[IMG]http://i753.photobucket.com/albums/xx180/98cumminsdodge/100_1455.jpg[/IMG