The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 25, 2022, 04:56 PM   #1
ligonierbill

Scrounged primers - range fun - and a question

Yeah, I supplemented my primer stash and started loading again in earnest. One project I have been working is finding replacements for some of my Alliant favorites: I did find some Re-15, but the other Reloder series (17, 19, 22) have been absent. Had good luck with IMR-4955 Enduron in 243 (100 gr Sierra and Hornady) and 257 Roberts (117 gr same makers). Not so good with Ramshot Hunter (although it seems very versatile) or Alliant 4000-MR in 243 with 80 gr TTSX, although I'm still working those.

Today I finished testing some StaBall 6.5 loads in 250-3000: 100 gr Speer and 87 gr Sierra. OK, but Re-15 runs better in my guns, and since I have found a few pounds, I'll stick with it. One unrelated question. I'm shooting the 100s in a Rem 700 with a 1:10 twist. The 87s are going in an old Savage 20 with 1:12. This old girl has a bolt mounted Lyman 54 aperture, apparently a standard feature of that model, and she shoots consistently a foot high at 100. Aperture is at its lowest, and the front sight, which appears original, is not particularly short. Suggestions? Guess I could scope it. Groups pretty good for old eyes and irons. But this is an all original 1926-1931 vintage. Hate to modify it.

My success story is my Weatherby 257. Got the 100 TTSX going ludicrous speed, and grouping well. OK, three land nearly on top of one another, and one or two out of 5 stray an inch. Still working best COL. Nosler Partition 120s, on the other hand group inside an inch, no strays. I've always heard Partitions were great hunting bullets, but not the most accurate. This Mark V hasn't heard that, and I'm actually within 20 fps of Noslers numbers. A go to for now. These loads are all IMR-7828SSC. The fun continues.
Old May 26, 2022, 10:20 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

It is surprising that the Savage is that far off. Approaching 0.1" of excess sight height. Does the elevation adjust all the way down? Is it adjusting all the way down and without interference from something? If not, look for that 'something', such as the original mount being not quite correctly clearanced. If that's the case, also look to see if it can be corrected by filing, but without touching anything externally visible on the sight. But if it is adjusting fully and the shots are that high, in your shoes, I would remove the rear peep and make my own design to overhang the back of the sight so I could drill the hole lower down but still not be obstructed by the base, then set the original aside to stay with the gun in case a collector became interested in it. If I could get the hole down enough to shoot 2" high at 100, I'd be happy with that as a hunting rifle sight.

Another thought: if you are shooting off bags, have you tried setting the front bag under the magazine floor plate so it doesn't push up on the front of the stock to see if that affects it?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 26, 2022, 12:26 PM   #3
ligonierbill

I gave some more thought to my front sight and decided it's not original. Yes, it's at least 0.1" too short. The Savage 20 was known in the day as the "Baby Springfield". It sure does look like a slightly scaled down version of Dad's 1903, except the Savage has a tang safety. I remember that rifle had a big blade in front. Shot my first deer with it. The Savage has a slotted front base with a small screw to pin the blade in place and tighten the slot. So I cut and drilled a small piece of brass stock and installed that. It needs some file work to clean it up, but my laser says it will do.
Old May 28, 2022, 07:32 AM   #4
std7mag

With your 243 Win & 100gr bullets, think slow!
As in burn rate.
Try that 7828!

Ramshot Hunter is close to RL19. So cases with some volume and heavier bullets are where it shines. 257 Roberts AI with 120gr Partitions. 284 Win, 280 Rem.

Your 257 Roberts with the 117gr bullets will love Hybrid 100V!
Trust me, i know!

The Alliant PP4000MR seems to like cases with a decent volume also.
My go to in 280 Rem with 140-150gr bullets.
While not the fastest velocities, i'm getting good accuract in my 284 Win with the 140-150gr bullets.
Don't bother looking. You won't find data for it.

My 250 Savage has been doing well using RL17 and 100-115gr bullets.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old May 28, 2022, 09:00 AM   #5
ligonierbill

I have a jug of 7828, so I'll give that a try.
Old June 2, 2022, 08:04 PM   #6
ligonierbill

Savage 20

I am getting a feel for my alternative powders, but I'm still wondering if Alliant will ever have much of their Reloder series available. Maybe the PowerPro powders are their new thing.

In any case, I talked about my Savage 20 250-3000 and the front sight. Problem solved. I had her out today with the new blade and some loads of 87 Sierras over IMR-4320 (discontinued, but I have a fair amount). My first set was faster than expected. Not bad, but I didn't shoot the rest of the ladder. So only 5 went on target. The low round was at 25 yards, and I think I held at 6 o'clock. Moved the target to 50 and shot the top 4. I had roughed it out using a laser bore sighter, and the rear aperture is a bit off the low stop. Should have no problem sighting dead on at 150, which is a good setup for me (and the extent of our range).

I should probably polish up that brass blade, but I wanted to be sure I wouldn't be filing more off the top. And if you're wondering, my compression program didn't reduce my picture of the rifle enough. I'll try it again sometime. That model really is an elegant old gal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sav20 2.jpg (704.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Sav20 3.jpg (263.3 KB, 18 views)