The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 7, 2022, 10:23 AM   #1
Matthewio

Which subcompact?

Hello!
This summer I´ll buy my first gun (I have fired many guns already), but the problem is that I am from Slovakia where guns aren´t that common as in the US. I need a carry gun for my job (9mm would be the best), but because I am 168 cm (probably 5´6 feet ) and I don´t have big hands, I have to choose a sub/micro compact so I can carry it daily. (I often fire glock 19 at shooting range but it´s really huge for me.) So far, I was thinking about glock 43, but the 6 round mag is kinda awkward, and also about sig P365 nitron, I like that one really much. But as I said, I live in Slovakia and there are almost zero gunshops in Europe, I can´t test these particular guns on my own, or even get to hold them - there´s only binding order for 99% of guns. Nowadays, there are almost no guns in these few shops and only the most EU common ammunition is available (22lr, 9mm, 223, 308), such a bad time for a beginner. The question I wanted to ask you, is there a big difference between these two guns? Glock 43 costs here 600$, but sig is over 1100$, is the sig worth the difference? I don´t mind to pay more because I plan to use it for years and thousands of bullets, but 500$ difference is not a little. Or maybe share your opinion with other subcompacts for small hands. Thank you!
Old May 7, 2022, 10:28 AM   #2
Rob228

I'm a pretty big Glock fan but I have fired the 43 and the p365 side by side and I'd take the Sig. I also have very small hands, it fits them very well, the trigger was surprisingly good and its got 10 or 12 rounds depending on the magazine.
Old May 7, 2022, 01:29 PM   #3
Sigkid79

I’d say the sig is a better buy but not worth paying almost double for.

Here in the states there’s only about a $150 difference between the 2. At that price difference, its a no brainer to go with the sig.

Last edited by Sigkid79; May 7, 2022 at 09:46 PM.
Old May 7, 2022, 01:58 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Can you buy CZ handguns in Slovakia? If so, I strongly suggest that you look at the CZ-75 Compact. It is (or was) available in two versions, one with a manual thumb safety and the other with a decocker. Since you are not highly experienced with carrying a handgun, I think you might be better served by the decocker version.
Jeepaholic
Old May 7, 2022, 04:21 PM   #5
Matthewio

Thank you guys. I´ll keep looking for a dealer that would be able to get me the sig cheaper. The CZ-75 compact is the same size as the G19 and it´s a full metal body, really heavy gun. Definitely better for recoil, and I know I should support local brands but it´s really not suitable for appendix carry for a person with my height. In fact, I felt in love with Berettas many years ago, but I was shocked that I wouldn´t be able to comfortably carry G19 which is still smaller than 92FS Compact. However, here´s a great website to see the difference: https://www.handgunhero.com/tabletop.../cz-75-compact
I tried to find aftermarket mags for G43 with bigger capacity, but they are much bigger and impractical. Sig did a great job with that 10 round mag. I wish I could fire these side by side, unfortunately for me, there aren´t many professionals I could talk to, owning a gun here is a rarity, sigh. Thank you, you convinced me to keep waiting/looking for a better price. Have a nice weekend!
Old May 7, 2022, 05:35 PM   #6
jetinteriorguy

Not sure if HS Produkt in Croatia markets any pistols in Slovakia, but here in the US they have a nice compact imported and marketed by Springfield Armory called the Hellcat. If they sell such a product under their own brand in Slovakia it might be worth investigating.
Old May 7, 2022, 06:49 PM   #7
Shadow9mm

I have shot a 43, I personally did not like it, especially with the low capacity. I have a P365, it is a great gun. Over here sigs are more expensive than glocks as well. but not quite as bad.
Old May 7, 2022, 07:11 PM   #8
tlm225

I share your affliction of having below average sized hands. For me the Glock 19/23 is also too large. In my effort to select a suitable sidearm I tried the Sig and Glock 43 (along with others) I ended up with a S&W Shield and now a S&W Shield plus. I assume S&W aren't available to you so of the two you've mentioned I would go with the SIG even with it's greater cost.
Old May 7, 2022, 07:22 PM   #9
Prof Young

Sig 365

I've owned a sig 365, with safety, for more than a year and it is my go-to carry gun. Very reliable and, at seven yards, easy to be accurate with. And hey, it's a sig so it should last a long time. $1100 is about twice what I paid for mine. Yikes.

I've read and heard really good things about the Hellcat made by Springfield Armory. I've held one and they are about the same size as the sig 365. I'd guess they are harder to find, where you are, than the sig, but if one pops up it may be worth a look.

Good luck to you.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old May 7, 2022, 08:37 PM   #10
hub1home

Are you aware that there are 2 different Glock 43's? Glock calls the new one 43x. It holds 10 rounds in the magazine and also the size is different. The part that I like is the 43x is thinner than the 43. The 43x has been out for at least a year so there almost has to be some in Europe by now. One other thing, there are companies making magazines for the 43x that hold 12 rounds or more. However, these high capacity magazines do NOT fit the 43.
Good Luck!
Old May 7, 2022, 09:32 PM   #11
chris in va

I've had very good luck with my Sig 365, zero jams and I carry it daily. One caveat, and a very minor one is the point of impact is somewhat lower than most other handguns, so practice that at the range.

Please don't get an 'X' model Glock. Every time I see one jam at the range it's because the user doesn't have a hardcore hold on it.
Old May 7, 2022, 10:00 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewio
The CZ-75 compact is the same size as the G19 and it´s a full metal body, really heavy gun.
The CZ P-01 is a compact with an alloy frame.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-p-01/

Do you have access to Tanfoglio pistols from Italy? If so, this one is a CZ-75 Compact copy with a polymer frame.

https://www.italianfirearmsgroup.com...force-compact/
Jeepaholic
Old May 8, 2022, 04:45 AM   #13
Matthewio

The Glock 43X´s height is just as G19´s, for me its unnecessarily big (and the capacity is still pretty low due to the height). However, I really like the Hellcat from Springfield that Prof Young mentioned. It even has a bigger mag capacity than sig, its smaller and weights 1,8 oz less! Also the trigger safety is a nice plus imho. It also costs only 650$, just like the glock 43.

The Tanfoglio is unfortunately not available here (A month ago my dad wanted to buy a beretta, not a single one in Slovakia/Czech rep. available, official beretta distributor for SK/CZ told us that its all sold out for months ahead).

Also, I can see that the sig is available in Germany (500 miles away) for 800$ (but the law requires purchase in person) so I might try to ask them for import to local gunshop so I can get it cheaper. However, I´ll take a look at springfield hellcat, watch some videos and decide between these two.

Thank you guys, you saved my first purchase Also, thank you for this friendly environment, I really love this forum!
Old May 8, 2022, 12:57 PM   #14
Matthewio

Yes it is, 650$. I watched a few videos and I think it’s definitely worth it. They make 15 round mags too! And they aren’t even much bigger.. Thank you guys!

Update* Theres also a version with threaded barrel and compensator for only 80$ extra. I know its not a best idea to buy a supressor for micro, but it creates so many possibilities! its also red dot ready, hellcat rocks!

Last edited by Matthewio; May 8, 2022 at 04:07 PM.
Old May 9, 2022, 07:48 AM   #15
BarryLee

Consider the GLOCK G26. It can accommodate magazine capacities of 10, 12, 17, 19, 33 etc. It is easy to conceal and really handles/fires like a much larger gun.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 9, 2022, 08:45 AM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, Matthewio! As between the Glock and the Sig, I'd likely go with the Sig. With that said, the Hellcat gets a lot of good reviews, too.
Old May 9, 2022, 08:49 AM   #17
Matthewio

The G26 has the same handle as the G19, just a little smaller in height. Its too massive for my small hands. Also, the G26 is too wide, father has the G19 and I can´t imagine appendix carry. Thats why I was thinking about the G43 - single stack, but then found out that the P365 has much better capacity and is just as wide as G43. But the Hellcat ... one big wow. Seems like a clear choice to me. Sorry sig, but the price difference is too big.
Old May 9, 2022, 08:56 AM   #18
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewio View Post
The G26 has the same handle as the G19, just a little smaller in height. Its too massive for my small hands. Also, the G26 is too wide, father has the G19 and I can´t imagine appendix carry. Thats why I was thinking about the G43 - single stack, but then found out that the P365 has much better capacity and is just as wide as G43. But the Hellcat ... one big wow. Seems like a clear choice to me. Sorry sig, but the price difference is too big.

The price difference is a function of where you are. That’s not the case is the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 9, 2022, 09:03 PM   #19
gbclarkson

I, too, have small hands and the S&W Shield is a good fit.
Old May 10, 2022, 07:15 AM   #20
Spats McGee
Staff

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, can you get your hands on a S&W Shield? Shield Plus?
Old May 10, 2022, 09:57 AM   #21
Pumpkin

Not worried about sounding like a broken record, S&W Shield.
Old May 10, 2022, 09:58 AM   #22
Matthewio

Sorry, my bad, i didnt reply to you. Shields arent available in Slovakia at all looks like all American brands are unavailable and extremely overpriced in Europe… I always wanted S&W 686 as a gun for fun shooting, however it costs 1450$ here …
Old May 10, 2022, 02:53 PM   #23
FotoTomas

I have the Glock 43 and three versions of the SIG 365. I have owned the Hellcat OSP and the RDP. I use the inexpensive 43 when I carry in some restricted states here. The 365s I prefer as they fit my hands better and I shoot them better. The Hellcats were good pistols and shot well for me but the grips are wider and not to my preference. As such I traded both off and kept the SIGs. The fact that the Hellcats had 11 and 13 round magazines limited my options in restricted states where my original 365 had a pair of 10 rounders in the box. The X and XL models of SIG 365 had 12 rounders. Of course I had 15 rounders as well for the SIGs and Hellcats.

I prefer the SIGs but would be very happy with the Hellcat if I was limited by availability and or price. The Glock43 just does not rock my boat anymore though I find it to be an accurate and reliable pistol. I have several extended magazines for it as well of 7 and 8 round capacity. Being the least expensive is a bonus if it were lost.