The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 2, 2022, 11:31 AM   #1
Polinese

Fast draw revolver modifications.

I'm not looking to get into fast draw this is just curiosity on my part. I've seen it mentioned several times how continually fanning a revolver can cause damage over time and that special modifications are done to the revolvers used in competitions. I couldn't find much info on what those modifications are though and was hoping some of y'all could shed light on that for me.
Old April 3, 2022, 01:34 AM   #2
Hawg

A hammer stop, a bolt block and the hand shortened. Shortening the hand will not let it go into battery by cocking normally.
Old April 3, 2022, 07:27 AM   #3
44 Dave

An action stop in stead of shorting the hand will keep the gun able to still fire normal.
Old April 3, 2022, 03:36 PM   #4
Polinese

What does all that stuff do?
Old April 3, 2022, 06:33 PM   #5
Hawg

A hammer stop prevents hammer overtravel. A bolt block prevents side to side movement of the bolt. Shortening the hand lets momentum carry the cylinder into battery instead of it violently going into battery and creating excess wear of the bolt and bolt notches. A hammer stop(action stop)by itself wont prevent that but if you try to cock it normally you will have to turn the cylinder that last little bit into battery by hand.
Old April 4, 2022, 05:02 PM   #6
Polinese

Ah interesting! Thank you for the explanation. Does occasional fanning wear out a revolver or is it more from constant use like a competition gun would see?
Old April 4, 2022, 08:45 PM   #7
44 Dave

All single actions should have these "tune ups". The trigger/ bolt spring also needs to be set correct. Hand length on many clones is not exact. Some use threaded hand stop (action stop) that can be "adjusted".
Old April 5, 2022, 09:31 PM   #8
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

In my own, very biased opinion, fanning is just a bad thing to do with any revolver. No, probably a little bit of fanning will probably not damage it, but think of how it will rip up the palm of your hand as you drag your hand across the hammer spur.

Also, unlike slip hammering, there is very little control of the revolver when it is fanned. The guys who compete in Cowboy Fast Draw are always shooting blanks, never live ammunition. Despite what you have seen in the movies, there is less control of the revolver when fanning than slip hammering, or firing conventionally. The physics of fanning a revolver requires it to be fired from the hip, so precise aiming is not possible. And slamming the hammer with the palm of the hand will cause the barrel to wobble all over the place, so accurate shooting is pretty impossible. OK if your opponent was right in front of you, but it would be difficult to hit him if he was more than a few paces away.

Fanning a revolver is just a bad idea, in my humble opinion of course.
Old April 6, 2022, 08:38 AM   #9
45 Dragoon

Well, a fanner setup involves reducing the main spring tension which gives some ability to stabilize the revolver. You don't want to slap back an 8 lb hammer but a 3.5 lb hammer is fairly easy (glove on the off hand for protection).
If you think about it more like setting up a race car it may make more sense. Driving a Formula One car in traffic to the grocery store and back will probably end with a cooked engine. It needs airflow! So that type of driving would be "abusive" since the car isn't set up for that slow of a speed. Likewise, a true fanner is set up for fanning and has built-in protections for the action parts to handle that activity.
Obviously fanning a stock S.A. isn't a good idea but with the above modifications will let you do so occasionally.

I've set up only a few dedicated fanners (cap guns !!!) for customers years ago and like Hawg mentioned, a shortened hand is part of the package. The cylinder relies on "coast" (old time parlance for "momentum" ) to finish carry-up. For this reason, I would remove some material on the left side of the hammer face to prevent ignition if the cyl was out of battery (cocked slowly by an "unaware" party). But basically, my tuning services include all the mentioned mods (and a few extras) because I like the mechanical precision and protection it gives to the action . . . and of course the hand is of correct length for timing purposes.

So, all above comments are good advice and I agree but if you just want to "scratch the itch" occasionally, you need the mods mentioned (again, the short hand would be for dedicated . . . not necessarily the occasional itch!! )

Mike
Old April 6, 2022, 01:50 PM   #10
Polinese

THanks again for the info. I only have a ruger blackhawk so the rear sight alone discourages me from doing any fanning haha but was very curious on the matter.
Old April 14, 2022, 07:53 AM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

When I was much younger I learnt the same lesson that Polinese did. Should have sued Hollywood for that owie. lol.